I'd like to be an alcoholic.

Seems more manageable.

my friend, the only way to solve our problems is by facing them, not trying to escape, especially in alcohol.

we’re all here for you, - maybe if you want you can share with us what you’re struggling with, and people here can pray for you and offer advice. That’s why there’s Christian fellowship, so we can lift each other up.

well I pray you’ll feel better soon…I pray God sends His Angels to surround you.

God bless you.

Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help, or sought thine intercession was left unaided.
Inspired by this confidence, I fly unto thee, O Virgin of virgins, my mother; to thee do I come, before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in thy mercy hear and answer me.

Amen.

Dude,
You can not really mean that. I’ve been there. That is real slavery. Clapped in irons and throw away the key slavery. Deal with your troubles, don’t say things that I hope you have no experience with. Alchoholism is not , cannot, be easier than some other problem. Don’t ask for slavery.
Peace, Tom

Are you saying you’d like to be or are? No one could possibly want to be an alcoholic. That’s like saying I want to have cancer. Alcoholism is a terminal disease that wrecks your life and the lives of those around you. From the outside it may look as though an alcoholic just doesn’t care and is numb to everything. This is not the case. Every drink, for a true alcoholic, brings more despair and guilt and loneliness and sorrow; quite apart from the physical destruction of his or her body. I am sure that every true alcoholic would give anything to be healed. It is not possible.

There are heavy drinkers who are not alcoholics. Their bodies and minds seem to be able to deal with the substance and if they need to, they can stop. Alcoholics cannot stop without huge effort and help from others. Even after years of abstainance, one drink starts the symptoms of again. Each time the result is worse. Please think about what you have stated. If you can’t stop, get help.

Clearly, something is hurting you, what with this follow up to the “don’t pray for me” post.

But I would ask you consider, before invoking these short quips, the meaning behind them.

There is nothing “manageable” when an empathetic bartender thumbs through your wallet to locate your ID, in order to look up a family member in the phone book so they might come and scrape you off the sidewalk in front of the bar.

There is nothing “manageable” about waking up in the backseat of your own car, unable to recall what exactly happened last night.

There is nothing “manageable” about the damage to your organs, that literally hurt from the disease.

There is nothing “manageable” about the hurt and pain that is inflicted on an alcoholic’s family.

So please, I implore you: tell your story. What’s going wrong? Who can help? How to help?

But this veiled reference you posted is very hurtful for those of us who are victims of alcoholism, whether personally or due to a family member/friend’s suffering.

Do not give up and when you feel weak, remember the word of the Lord;

2 Corinthians 12:9 (KJV)

9And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

I for one am glad I am not an alcoholic. The idea of having to live without beer and wine really really scares me.

one more thing, nobody says you have to be an alcoholic before you can give up drinking. If you really don’t like it just give it up.

More manageable than something you are struggling through right now?
Like the others on here have said, everyone is waiting with advice and prayers if you need to share more.

As opposed to what? :confused:

Actually, the best thing is to be in control of your life. But the only way to get control of your life is to stop asking other people for permission to do so.

Do you see alcohol as a way of “getting permission” to do the things you want to do? Would you like to say, “Well it’s okay that I did/said that, because at the time, I was drunk.” However, the problem with alcohol is that it really does take over your mind, and really does have you doing things that you would never have intended to do, if you had been sober. So, the “freedom” is really just an illusion.

I find that just doing and saying what I know to be right without asking for input from people who would probably deflect or distract me, and without using drugs or alcohol (or anything else) as my “excuse”, is quite freeing, really. :slight_smile:

Listen, that’s not really what you want. I’m not an alcoholic, but I know people who are. The stuff I hear from them is jaw-dropping. What you really want is the pain of whatever it is you are experiencing to stop. There’s not much anyone, not even God, can do about that. All you can really do is share what you are experiencing with somebody. Sympathy is a powerful thing. Just knowing that there is somebody who cares about you and what you are going through can make things a little more bearable. Pain and anguish are necessary conditions in this life. It, like the common cold or a similar illness, has to run its course. But once it has, you will be a stronger person as a result. It’s like that verse in the bible about God “pruning us like we are trees to produce more fruit.” Don’t know where that is, but it’s in there. You are being “pruned” right now. Just let God do His work, as much as you DON’T want to do that, and see what goodness happens as a result.

One other thing I feel I must say. Alcohol costs money. Prayer is free and unlimited like the air we breathe. If for NO OTHER REASON in this horrid economy, stay away from the stuff for THAT reason! I do. Plus, I can’t take the hangover. Just pray. Easier said than done, but try it. You never know what good it might do.

Tracy

Okay, Kiddo…I’m your Fairy Godmother. Your wish has been granted! You are now an alcoholic! You now have permission to attend the nearest Alcoholics Anonymous meeting. Check your local listing. I took a group of “Wannabe” alcoholics to AA and NA meetings as a PTA activity. I highly recommend it.

You must be in a great deal of emotional and perhaps even physical pain. I remember posting on a thread a bit back where you were feeling lonely. It sounds like things are getting worse. I am truly sorry that you are going through a bad time now. Can you close your eyes and imagine that this situation is not a permanent one? Can you find a way to see it better in time? Please don’t wish to be an alcoholic. It can’t make it better, and can only make things worse for you.
I will keep you in my thoughts.

It’s crossed my mind, especially when you live with someone who’s an alcoholic or has bad drinking problems…all the dealing with them… you think …“now, YOU could drive me to drinking …I should be the one drinking for having to deal with YOU”

Ugh!

If you have someone in your life with drinking problems, I suggest Alanon…it’s great!

Prayers for you.

As someone who has a close relative who is an alcoholic, I agree with this post.

Ep, please talk with your priest or a friend. Remember that we are here for you.

:hug1:

Can you find anything to be happy about? Anything at all?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.