Idea for balancing Family and Materialism

My best attempt at an analogy would be a flow of liquid into a series of 2 cups. Cup #1 is the family cup. Cup #2 is the materialism cup. It is our Duty to fill the family cup first. Once the family cup is full, then we can start filling the materialism cup. Much of society has lost sight of this distinction thanks to the consumerism of feelgood instant gratification messages present in the leftist progressive media. It is our Duty as parents to be vigilant on a regular basis that we are not filling cup #2 before cup #1. Otherwise, families, marriages, true love, and the greater society will continue to pay the price.

What do you think?

Well if we are to take Jesus at his word, which I'm pretty sure we are....;)

You can find your answer in the following..

Matthew 16:24
Then Jesus said to his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.

Matthew 19:21
Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

It seems many people are very confused in our world today including many members of the Church. They put much more value on material things than on other humans, often noted when it comes to having more children. Many who are quite well off, will refute having more children as they want to be able to give them "the best" or provide them with "everything".

Even those who are just middle of the road are not willing to go without or settle for second best in order to have more children. Some seem to have their priorities out of order.

[quote="heart4home, post:2, topic:234971"]
Well if we are to take Jesus at his word, which I'm pretty sure we are....;)

You can find your answer in the following..

Matthew 16:24
Then Jesus said to his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.

Matthew 19:21
Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

It seems many people are very confused in our world today including many members of the Church. They put much more value on material things than on other humans, often noted when it comes to having more children. Many who are quite well off, will refute having more children as they want to be able to give them "the best" or provide them with "everything".

Even those who are just middle of the road are not willing to go without or settle for second best in order to have more children. Some seem to have their priorities out of order.

[/quote]

:thumbsup: Very well put, I agree completely. However, let us not minimize that these are dire financial times, and it will take time for people to remember what is important. I think a lot of people have been confusing wants and needs, but a tough economy has forced us to rethink what we really 'need' - me included!

[quote="ManOnFire, post:1, topic:234971"]
My best attempt at an analogy would be a flow of liquid into a series of 2 cups. Cup #1 is the family cup. Cup #2 is the materialism cup. It is our Duty to fill the family cup first. Once the family cup is full, then we can start filling the materialism cup. Much of society has lost sight of this distinction thanks to the consumerism of feelgood instant gratification messages present in the leftist progressive media. It is our Duty as parents to be vigilant on a regular basis that we are not filling cup #2 before cup #1. Otherwise, families, marriages, true love, and the greater society will continue to pay the price.

What do you think?

[/quote]

I think, yes, the family cup should be filled first or a certain way up the cup, before the "materialism" cup is filled. However, what one considers "materialism" another may consider a necessity. For example, I've read here on this forum that some people don't care where they live, as long as they have a roof over their head. Others consider that that a good neighborhood and a big enough house to accomodate the family is equally important, with a roof that doesn't leak and with heat in the winter and a/c in the summer. Some families think all the kids can share a bedroom, while others may think that at a certain age, at the very least, the boys and girls should have separate rooms. Some hold private education very important, while others think it's a luxury. Some believe that providing their children with such things as music lessens or other cultural opportunities is very important and others think it's trivial. Some people NEED a car. My job, for example, is 40 miles away, one way. Anther person may think a car is a luxury and materialistic.

One thing is for sure, depending on where you live, things are more expensive and more of a challenge than they used to be. For example, when I lived in Chicago, our electric bill and heat and water was three times more than where we live now. Our electric bill could get up to $1000/month...now it's $300/month. We don't have a gas bill where we live now. The auto gas is about half here, but everything is double the distance at least. The taxes in Chicago on our family building was $6000/year, and now where we live it's $1100. I could go on and on. So whereever one is located, it's not realistic to judge everyone to be in the same position.

Not everyone is called to have 6+ kids. Many are called to have one, or two. The Church doesn't dictate to families how many children they should have, so really, no one else should either :)

[quote="Rence, post:4, topic:234971"]
I think, yes, the family cup should be filled first or a certain way up the cup, before the "materialism" cup is filled. However, what one considers "materialism" another may consider a necessity. For example, I've read here on this forum that some people don't care where they live, as long as they have a roof over their head. Others consider that that a good neighborhood and a big enough house to accomodate the family is equally important, with a roof that doesn't leak and with heat in the winter and a/c in the summer. Some families think all the kids can share a bedroom, while others may think that at a certain age, at the very least, the boys and girls should have separate rooms. Some hold private education very important, while others think it's a luxury. Some believe that providing their children with such things as music lessens or other cultural opportunities is very important and others think it's trivial. Some people NEED a car. My job, for example, is 40 miles away, one way. Anther person may think a car is a luxury and materialistic.

One thing is for sure, depending on where you live, things are more expensive and more of a challenge than they used to be. For example, when I lived in Chicago, our electric bill and heat and water was three times more than where we live now. Our electric bill could get up to $1000/month...now it's $300/month. We don't have a gas bill where we live now. The auto gas is about half here, but everything is double the distance at least. The taxes in Chicago on our family building was $6000/year, and now where we live it's $1100. I could go on and on. So whereever one is located, it's not realistic to judge everyone to be in the same position.

Not everyone is called to have 6+ kids. Many are called to have one, or two. The Church doesn't dictate to families how many children they should have, so really, no one else should either :)

[/quote]

A very good example. Income is a very relative factor in peoples' choices.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.