idea of God

Isn’t the idea of God the greatest proof for God’s existence? Where does the idea of a being that is beyond the physical world come from? I mean, you don’t live under a rock your whole life and then the second you climb out say, “I want to go see a movie.” The Jews had to have been given revelation from God Himself. How can anyone refute this?

Not only the Jews, who were chosen to recieve direct revelation which paved the way for the definitive revelation of Christ, but all cultures and all people across time and geography seem to have something inside them that makes them, however imperfectly, yearn for God. It is aparrent that God has placed this desire in us so that we will never be satisfied until we find him. As St. Augustine says, “Our hearts are restless, O Lord, until they rest in you.”

See also what Paul has to say about this in Romans 1 and 2.

[quote=Brown10985] Isn’t the idea of God the greatest proof for God’s existence? Where does the idea of a being that is beyond the physical world come from? I mean, you don’t live under a rock your whole life and then the second you climb out say, “I want to go see a movie.” The Jews had to have been given revelation from God Himself. How can anyone refute this?
[/quote]

Have you read C.S. Lewis, “mere Christianity”? Excellent book on this subject, even if he wasn’t “Catholic”… he was, he just didn’t know it…lol

[quote=Tom]Have you read C.S. Lewis, “mere Christianity”? Excellent book on this subject, even if he wasn’t “Catholic”… he was, he just didn’t know it…lol
[/quote]

Yes, I have. Excellent read. Everyone should have a copy.

[quote=Brown10985]Isn’t the idea of God the greatest proof for God’s existence? Where does the idea of a being that is beyond the physical world come from? I mean, you don’t live under a rock your whole life and then the second you climb out say, “I want to go see a movie.” The Jews had to have been given revelation from God Himself. How can anyone refute this?
[/quote]

God implanted reason in men so that through various stages, men can gradually attain a knowledge of His existence. However, we cannot really know God as He really is, because of our** limited** intellects, but only what He is not, by comparing our notions of Divinity with creatures. Hence, if creatures are mortal, we say God is immortal. If creatures are finite, God is infinite. That is the reason why God chose to reveal Himself (Revelation), through prophets and teachers, and later on, by the teachings of the Incarnate Son Himself. This is why the philosophers who lived before the birth of Christ never attained such intimate knowledge of God as compared with the simple and devout Christian who lived after the Resurrection.

Gerry

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.