Ideas for 10 yr old reading

My granddaughter will be turning 10 next month and I would like to get her a book to read. I'm wondering if there is a Catholic series for young girls? Not looking for devotions or faith learning so much as a good book that uses a good moral fundation. Any ideas?

Get this book: Olivia and the Little Way. It is awesome! It is a fiction book about a modern-day girl who learns about St. Therese of Lisieux from her grandmother.

I promise she will LOVE it! It is great for developing Catholic spirituality, but in a way that is perfect for a 10-year-old.

It is available from Amazon, Ignatius Press, or from the publisher at this website: littleflowerbook.com

The Narnia books maybe? :)

Hello LindaDi, my eldest daughter is 9 and is an avid lover of fiction. Some of her favorites include the following.

All of a Kind Family by Sydney Taylor. This is about a devout Jewish family on the East Side in New York in about 1913 onwards. There are five sisters who are eventually joined as the series progresses to include a new baby brother, Charlie. Very lively, girl centred, family centred. All the girls have very different personalities. We listen to this series on CD in the car and my 6 yr old and 3 yr old love it too.

The Melendy Family series by Elizabeth Enright. This starts with "The Saturdays". My daughter absolutely loves the Melendys. This series is from the 1940s.

The Pendewicks by Jeanne Birdsall. A new book with a family of four girls and their widowed father. Again, huge hit with my daughter and she loves the second book even more than the first.

Right now she is making her way through the Narnia series.

None of these books are Catholic per se, but they all express Catholic values in their love of life and family, while the characters have to overcome personal weaknesses and other challenges. They have a reliable wholesomeness that still appeals to children with exciting and interesting characters and plotlines.

I have been looking for the same kind of books for my 8 year old daughter and 12 year old son. If you go to amazon, and search for, I think it was Christian, books for kids. They have a lot of series books. They are not so much faith based as just teaching good morals and behavior.

Thank you everyone for your great ideas! I will print this off and go do some shopping. I appreciate this so much because as the Grandmother, who lose the daily resources that are around these days.:D

Narnia is a must!

While not Catholic, the Redwall books are very good.

And, of course, no childhood is complete without reading "The Hobbit" and the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy.

Try the "Dragons in our Midst" series. The message is that through God, anything is possible!

My son loves them and they are a Christian based book without the theology associated with some Protestant traditions.

Try this website: imagecascade.com/index.html

You can call these "old-fashioned" if you want to, but keep in mind that the "Little House" stories are even more "old-fashioned" and have kept young girls entralled for decades!

closed #11

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.