Ideas for Good Works to Undertake?

I am currently at a retreat (faith based) for men recovering from substance abuse. As mentioned, it is faith based and community oriented. It is run by a Protestant pastor and similarly inclined Christians with an eye to ‘new monasticism’.

I am now in my sixth month of sobriety, and in this time God has called me out of Protestantism (Broad Anglicanism) to His Church.

Us guys get up early every morning, have breakfast, then go about our day. I feel often this conversion process is insurmountable (criticism from other residents: ‘Mary worshipper’, etc) but the staff itself has been implicitly helpful.

Now, I am only able to attend Mass once a week (and unfortunately have to jealously watch everyone else commune) so I have stacked up on Catholic literature, a Catholic Bible, etc etc.

My question is: How do I go about doing good works in this setting? I know this may sound like an absurd question to some. About the only thing in my mind that I can think even comes close is when I pray the Rosary (which I absolutely can’t get enough of), but does this count?

I think I may have some idea of what I should do, but a little dialogue would help in this.

In Christ,

James

Congratulations on your sobriety! In your Catholic reading try and get a copy of a book called, “The Story of a Soul”, by St. Theresa (called The Little Flower). She was a cloistered nun in the 19th century who can show you the way to do little things every day for God. You can also call the parish where you attend Mass and see where you can volunteer your services, even one day a month can make a difference. You can also look into joining The Knights of Columbus. They do charity work and you will be welcome to join them; they are an organization of Catholic men and you will find their support and fellowship very helpful on your faith journey.

:hug3:

Praise God!!! Hallelujah!

Perhaps doing the “one day at a time” thingie on this seemingly insurmountableness will help. Also, you might have an opportunity for a teaching moment. When you hear the “Mary worshipper” criticism, perhaps you can ask the critic why they’d say such a thing, hear them out, then lovingly correct them with the Catholic Church’s teaching on our Blessed Virgin Mary.

Just my opinion, but be grateful that all this is so important to you. Some Catholics don’t give going to Communion a second thought and in fact, leave Mass right after receiving the Body of Our Lord. Also, what helps me is to listen to podcasts from this site and from EWTN. The wait is worth it. Also, is there an Adoration Chapel around? You could go there and discuss this with Our Lord. You can also do a spiritual communion.

An Act of
Spiritual
Communion

My Jesus,
I believe that You
are present in the Most Holy Sacrament.
I love You above all things,
and I desire to receive You into my soul.
Since I cannot at this moment
receive You sacramentally,
come at least spiritually into my heart. I embrace You as if You were already there and unite myself wholly to You. Never permit me to be separated from You.

Amen.

Just my opinion, again, and please pray for me that I don’t ever think it’s more than that, but, as you indicated in the beginning of your post, you’re in rehab, correct? That is a great work in itself, and doing the best you can there, in my opinion, sounds like a huge amount of great works, simply doing the best you can, but for the grace of God go I, at rehab.

And thanks for your comment about the Rosary. The Rosary is a powerful prayer, and oh my does it ever count.

I thank you for your comment because I haven’t been saying the daily Rosary and you’ve encouraged me with your good example. Thank you and God bless you.

Okay I will look into that book! Funny you mentioned the Knights of Columbus, as I saw some flyers of theirs on the parish bulletin board, and thought I might contact them. :thumbsup:

closed #6

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.