Ideas for Praying to the Holy Spirit Without Being a Charismatic

Saying the Veni Creator would seem to be one way.

What are your thoughts and suggestions?

When I get home I’ll get some from my 1952 Bible. It has a section for it.

1 Like

Is there a nuance or background to the question that I’m not understanding? For example, why wouldn’t one just address their prayer: “Holy Spirit…” if one wants to pray to the Holy Spirit?

Is that the approach that’s considered “charismatic”?

Thank you, that would be helpful.

I don’t mean to cast aspersions on charismatics, but that’s not my personal style, and it often seems that apart from the Veni Creator in all its various forms, and the reading of gospels about/ meditation on the mystery of Pentecost, the Holy Spirit seems to be largely overlooked in prayer. There are dozens of prayers to/ focusing on God the Father and God the Son, relatively few focusing on God the Holy Spirit outside the charismatic context.

And yes, of course one can pray in one’s own words to any person of the Trinity. I’m just looking for other ideas for prayer forms. I find prayer forms helpful in that they often provide some theological insight or move me out of my comfort zone in a way that praying in my own words doesn’t. Also, quite often I am too tired or frazzled to come up with my own prayer, but I still want to talk to God.

A priest in his homily earlier this week told us we should be calling on the Holy Spirit so that’s what made me think about how I might do a little more of that.

3 Likes

The back of Fr. Paul O’Sullivan’s book, The Holy Ghost Our Greatest Friend has an appendix of beautiful prayers to the Holy Spirit. The Litany to the Holy Spirit is especially beautiful. I will reply again to type out some of the prayers for you when my daughter is napping.

They are wonderful prayers!

1 Like

Gotcha. I might be a little naturally charismatic then, I guess. Haha. Or at least, I’ve adopted the habit of spontaneous prayer to the Holy Spirit that’s similar to how I pray to the Father and the Son.

I’ll keep an eye on this thread out of interest for what more formal prayers to the Holy Spirit might be.

1 Like

Thank you. I like Fr O’Sullivan’s little books a lot but I’ve never seen that one you mention. I will check to see if it’s online as well.

1 Like

Did you grow up in a tradition of spontaneous prayer? If so, you’re likely just used to it. I will often make a little spontaneous prayer while rushing about, but when I sit down to have “prayer time” I usually have more of a structured plan, like going to the gym one would have an exercise plan for how much of each activity.

1 Like

Well spontaneous prayer isn’t really charismatic as far as I know. It is actually something traditionally called Ejaculations.

From what I understand the charismatic thing is more focused on the charisms of the Holy Ghost, like tongues discernment and such.

Intro to the devout life says we should have a good mix of both.

I think perhaps it’s related to not growing up in a religious family at all? The only prayers were very occasional grace said at table. My family were loosely-affiliated non-practicing Protestants.

So from a young age as I began – then continued – my journey with God, the only way I knew how to talk to Him was to just, well, talk to him. So it was always in my own words.

I do hear what you’re saying though, about how formally written-down prayers can contain theological insight and move us forward in ways we might not have moved ourselves.

2 Likes

Haha could we find a new, modernist word for it?
(:stuck_out_tongue:)

Sudden prayer :stuck_out_tongue:

But I think even today it is called that.

It’s part of the spiritual bouquet

It’s also a word I probably won’t use in public. Haha. But thank you for the education, I appreciate that it’s technically a real term!

I’ll just jazz up my spiritual bouquet with the same roses by a slightly different name

:rose::bouquet::rose:

Veni Sancte Spirtus, the Pentecost sequence, can also be used as a prayer to the Spirit.

3 Likes

I sometimes pray the Litany of the Holy Spirit. I know it in French, I’ll see if I can find it in English :wink:

ETA : Not quite the same, but close enough:

2 Likes

Hi Tis, this one is one of my favorite prayers to Holy Spirit:

Come, holy Ghost, and bring from above
The splendor of thy light.

Come, father of the poor, come, giver of graces,
Come, light of our hearts.

Best of consolers, sweet guest of the soul,
And comfort of the weary.

Thou rest in labor, relief in burning toil,
Consoling us in sorrow.

O blessed light, fill the innermost hearts
Of those who trust in thee.

Without thy indwelling there is nothing in man,24
And nothing free of sin.

Cleanse what is sordid, give water in dryness,
And heal the bleeding wounds.

Bend what is proud, make warm what is cold,
Bring back the wayward soul.

Give to the faithful who trustingly beg thee
Thy seven holy gifts.

Grant virtue’s reward, salvation in death,
And everlasting joy. Amen. Alleluia.

After the Gradual of the Mass the ancient sequence Veni Sancte Spiritus (Come, Holy Spirit) is recited or sung on each day of Pentecost week. This hymn appeared first in liturgical books around the year 1200. It has been variously ascribed to Pope Innocent III (1216), to King Robert of France (1031), and even to Saint Gregory the Great (604). Most probably, however, its author was Cardinal Stephen Langton (1128), Archbishop of Canterbury. The poem has been known from medieval times as the “Golden Sequence” because of its richness in thought and expression. Each one of the short stanzas is a sentence in itself, thus facilitating meditation.
https://www.catholicculture.org/culture/liturgicalyear/prayers/view.cfm?id=104

When I pray to Holy Spirit I mix written prayers by others (like Veni Creator or Veni Sancte Spiritus) and my own words, usually talking to Him like to Jesus or God Father, or saints.
Holy Spirit is God and He is also our advocate so I ask Him for intercession too or to pray instead of me when I am out of words. He knows my needs better than I do.

2 Likes

Hard to believe, but I am in the process if discerning the holy spirit. I believe in prayer he comes to me as I have had the symptoms manifest of chattering etc.

As it has matured, I ask questions and receive yes/no answers via spontaneous affimative nods.

Still trying to discern. My spiritual director told me to continue in it.

The Chaplet to the Holy Spirit, written
in the late 1800’s and approved by Pope Leo XIII is a popular chaplet.
There is a Novena traditionally prayed as an Easter Novena. The Novena link

This from Pope Leo XIII.

“How He should be invoked is clearly taught by the Church, who addresses Him in humble supplication, calling upon Him by the sweetest of names: “Come, Father of the poor! Come, Giver of gifts! Come, Light of our hearts! O, best of Consolers, sweet Guest of the soul, our refreshment!” (Hymn, Veni Sancte Spiritus).”
The hymn Veni Sanctus Spiritus has already been mentioned. It is a lovely hymn.
Numerous chant links to this hymn exist on youtube, this is a good link to the hymn chanted, Veni Sancte Spiritus can also be a vocal spoken prayer.

2 Likes

Here’s a short prayer from Fr. James Socias’ Handbook of Prayers that you might find useful:

Lord set aflame my heart and my entire being with the fire of the Holy Spirit, that I may serve you with chaste body and pure mind. Through Christ our Lord. Amen.

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.