Ideas on how I can grow spiritually?

Hi, I am looking for ways on how to grow in Faith. I converted this past Easter so I am still pretty new at all this. I feel like I really need to get involved with my parish more but I am very hesitant about it because I just recently had a baby and come January I will be a full-time college student (nursing).

I don’t have any Catholic (practicing) friends and none of my family is Catholic so I feel kind of lonely sometimes and it has been affecting my walk with God. I want to get involved with something but I just don’t know where to go from here.

Do any of you have any advice or ideas on how I can better serve the Lord and His children?

Thank you and God bless!

Jennifer

Getting involved in your parish is certainly a good thing. There are many needs to fill and it helps connect you with others in the community. That’s a good way to meet other Catholics.

But when I think of growing spiritually I think of growing in my relationship with God. How’s your prayer life? Do you take some time each day to focus on God? Could you attend Mass sometime during the week? Have you ever tried lectio divina as a way of praying with scripture?

I think it’s best to look at where you are now, then look at where you could try something more.

Rosary, Rosary, Rosary :smiley:

I would put daily Mass at the top of the list of things that help spiritual growth. Is there any way you can fit daily Mass into your schedule? Not necessarily every day, but maybe 1 or 2 days a week.

Also, when you converted, you must have had a sponsor. Your sponsor is someone who should be there for you not just during the conversion period, but afterwards (like now) too, to help you through any rough spots. If you feel like you can talk to your sponsor, then I would take advantage of that. Get together with him or her and ask questions about the faith or pray the rosary together or talk about how to live a life in Christ. Or ask your sponsor about which parish activities might help your spiritual growth.

Many colleges have Catholic student centers where Catholic students hang out. They have faith activies for them.

Try and see if your school offers that.

-Jeanne

You are very busy right now so volunteering your time might be hard…My parish has a group for mothers, look for that.or a Catholic Bible study, many parishes have that…reading Catholic books helps…There’s this great priest, Fr Cedric who has great, easy to follow books…look at his website…frcedric.org
Once your baby is older and goes to school, you meet more mothers…

These forums are a great place to hang out (at least for me they are).

Here is an essay that brings in Thomas Merton, Ralph Martin and John Paul II on the growing in holiness:

payingattentiontothesky.com/2009/06/22/called-to-holiness/

It’s been part of my experience since my conversion a few years back.

Regards

dj

The easiest way would be to determine what your God given talents are and see what you can do to use them to help others, regardless of their faith. Being Catholic is a way of life, and it’s the times when you are alone, or the only one in the midths of a crowd where you can shine, and when asked what your faith is, you can proudly tell them that you are Catholic. You have to really go with your gut on that one, and it should be a natural thing to be the light in the darkness.

Prayer life tends to not be very well rounded for most people, it’s important to cover all of the bases, praise, adoration, confession, thankfulness, personal requests, especially for others, etc.

Ultimately though, you are a unique creation, your path will also be unique. For example, in my case, it was building my relationship with Mary that caused a great amount of break throughs, in yours, it might be a saint, or something else, but it’s entirely up to where you are currently at with your walk with God.

Congratulations on your new baby! Is this your first child, or an addition to the family?

To grow spiritually, what better way than to do so in an integrated way for your whole family?

Consecrate your whole family with this free online 40-day program:

familyland.be/family_consecration/introduction-to-consecration-to-the-holy-family.html

Every imaginable topic will be covered.

I added you as a friend :slight_smile: Your guardian angel is also your friend, the angels and saints are your friends, and the best friend you have, the Friend of your heart, is Jesus Christ. :slight_smile:

Visit Jesus in the Tabernacle and talk to Him, as a friend to a friend. Talk frankly with Him.

There’s a great saying from this book, “wake up to God’s word”…God alone is our constant companion, our beloved and our friend. This is the relationship that must be primary in our lives if we truly desire to discover lasting contentment, purpose and meaning.
It really is so true:)

To deepen your faith in Christ: Get into the word, let it change you from the inside out…Study to shew yourself approved…Pray, pray and pray some more…No relationship can grow without communication…Love…let the Lord use you to be His hands on earth…Peole are so lacking love today…They need love with the truth they need to hear…

That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God;

And that work as unto thee Lord will in that Day reveal to you gold , silver and precious stones to offer our Savior…Sure beats getting to heaven, but being left with ash to stand before our King…
May the Lord bless you and draw you closer…Kim

Welcome!

First, foster the most basic life of grace by full participation in the sacraments. Study and learn as much as you can. This is the foundation of the spiritual life. Beyond that - you are in a great place - the deep wells of spirituality abound in the Church. This blog is a great place to start to learn about them. You can subscribe to posts for free.

God bless

rcspiritualdirection.com/blog/

Pax Christi

I would highly recommend not only daily praying the rosary, but also reading the diary of St. Faustina. It is the best thing I’ve ever read and has helped me a lot. Also, try praying the Chaplet of Divine Mercy. God bless:)

contemplation, meditation

Make your daily routine, chores, work, play etc…your prayer.

Do everything as an offering to God.

“I will give everything I have to Jesus,
when I have nothing else to give,
I’ll give Him that nothing”.
-Therese of Lisieux

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.