Idolatry?

What is it and why are we accused of it? It seems to me like the ‘idolatry’ card is a straw man argument. Idolatry is precisely the thing we try to avoid as Catholics.

Idol, Idolatry: The worship of false gods or something created rather than the Creator (Rom. 1:25) Idolatry is prohibited by the first two of the Ten Commandments (Exo. 20:3-4). Abraham migrated to Canaan to escape idol worship (Josh. 24:2-3). Prominent idols mentioned in the Bible are the golden calves of Aaron (Exod. 32:4) and King Jeroboam (2 Chron. 11:15). and the grain god of the Philistines known as Dagon (Judg. 16:23). Elijah helped overthrow Baal worship in Israel (1 Kings 18:17-40), and the prophet Isaih described the folly of idolatry (Isa. 44:9-20). In the N.T., idolatry is anything that comes between the believer and God (Col. 3:5).

It seems to me like the ‘idolatry’ card is a straw man argument.

… it is an absolute strawman argument!!

I’m always amased as to how similar fundamentalist and pagan thinking actually is.

No person is immune to the tendency toward idolatry, and becoming over attached to a created thing (or person) over the unseen creator.

No matter what one is officially taught, no matter what is on the books, the human tendency toward something we can see, touch, taste, smell, etc remains and we must be vigilant against it.

While that claim may be a straw man argument for some. To dismiss the possibility of anyone falling into idolatry is foolish.

If it wasn’t a real danger, God himself would not have bothered to address it.

Covetousness = Idolatry

covetousness- greek: pleonektes- to want more; greediness

Idolatry = wanting more

Luke 12:15 And he (Jesus) said unto them, Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man’s life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth.

Eph 5:5 For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.

Col 3:5 Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry:

Every man is covetous by nature until God deals with him and causes him to repent (turn from self to God). The word devil (daimon) means to distribute fortunes. A covetous man who “wants more” has a devil. Covetousness is the idolatrous worship of self. It is an idolatry as evil as falling down before Baal, the christmas tree, the golden calf, or anyone of the ancient pagan deities of Babylon.

Paul said, “having food and raiment, let us be there with content” (I Tim. 6:8). He also said, “I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.” (Phil. 4:11).

Men, myself included, are involved in idolatry when they refuse to be content with what they have. Their hearts cry out, “I want more.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.