If a Catholic leaves the Church, can they still get to heaven - like if they were to join another church?

My son says he is not Catholic anymore; tells me to read the Bible because it doesn’t matter if he’s Catholic or joins another religion/church, He believes that Jesus Christ is his personal Lord and Savior and nowhere in the Bible does it say that the Catholic Church is the only Church to get to heaven. When I quote some of the passages in the Bible to continue the dialogue, he resists, tells me not to read the Catholic Bible. I respond with, those passages are in the King James Bible as well. He is divorced; does not want to seek a Church annulment because he says that’s all Church stuff and has nothing to do with God’s word. He is 30 years old and I fear on a very wrong path to which he disagrees. He is in the Air Force and has been living away from home for over 6 years. Please help me better present the truth to him. Thank you and God bless.

The following links should help you better understand the Church’s teaching on salvation. If you have any further questions, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:

Non Catholics going to heaven
Salvation from the Catholic Answers Library
Extra ecclesiam nulla salus
Salvation Outside of the Church

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.