If a cloth is used to touch the monstrance, how are we able to touch the host?

During Benediction our Deacon does not touch the monstrance containing the eucharist directly. He covers his hands with some sort of stole or shawl. I am wondering why since we are allowed to receive Jesus in our hand during Mass. It seems a little contradictory. I’m a fairly new convert from 2005, and I keep forgetting to ask so I thought I’d ask here.

Thank you!

Hi,

The priest or deacon holds the monstrance with a veil to call attention to the sacredness of the Blessed Sacrament. They actually touch the host to put it in the holder (luna) that is placed at the center of the monstrance. Our Lord placed the Eucharist in the hands of the Apostles. We receive it on our toungue and down into our stomach. By His incarnation Our Lord made it abundantly clear that He does not consider it a dishonor to be touched by the likes of us.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.