If a cup of water for a child is meritorious - can all of parenthood be?

I love this Scripture quote because sometimes our job as parents can be so menial and the tasks can see so uncool, unheroic and tedious - there are many, many “cups of water” given. :slight_smile:

"And whoever gives to one of these little ones even a cup of cold water because he is a disciple, truly, I say to you, he shall not lose his reward.” - Matthew 10:42

But I just wanted to check with the audience - would it be fair that if our vocation as parents is dedicated to Christ as Disciples (those who strive to live Christ’s/the Church’s disciplines), is it quite possible that everything we do as parents to raise our children (other than sin or taking care of personal needs/wants) is meritorious?

I’ve heard it said that every present moment of our lives can be considered a sacrament. (Caussade) As long as we do things well for the love of Christ, it is meritorious.

It reminds me of Mother Teresa who once was looking around at one of the convents of her community on a visit and she exclaimed, she looked at a toiled bowl and exclaimed, “Some sister loves Jesus very much!!” The toilet was absolutely spotless, sparkling and radiantly clean. The sister had done this simple action to the best of her ability for the love of Christ. She was faithful in a small thing.

youtube.com/watch?v=PO_YUOAA1HU

I am really glad to read this post.

I am a stay at home mum and I often feel that the work of raising children is underestimated.
Up to now I have seen little emphasis on this forum on the love that we provide to our children.

Yes. What a wonderful post with the verse from Matthew to illustrate as such.
Blessings to you and your family and all parents who do the mundane, tedious tasks for their families, especially children. As my grandmother always said your reward will be in heaven.

Mary

I think I would read “Story of a Soul” by St. Theresa of Liseaux and her “little way”. The little way basically says that we serve God not in big ways but in everyday mundane tasks of life. No matter how common or repetitive or insignificant, when we do things with great love with the purpose of serving God by serving those around us, we ultimately please and honor God. No matter how you may feel in the service of your children, you are serving Jesus in your everyday activities.

Isn’t it interesting that St Therese of the Little Way is a doctor of the Church?

If we all could apply ourselves in this way, how beautiful the world would become.

Yes, this simple girl who only wanted to please God in her own little way is not only a Doctor of the Church, but this sister who never left the convent is patron saint of the missions!

It is true that every act of a mother in raising a child is meritorious.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.