If a priest blesses a meal, is it a sacramental?

If a priest blesses a meal, is it a sacramental? and if so, how do you dispose of those 4 week old leftovers?

Seriously, I was wondering about this.

The blessing itself is the sacramental, not the meal.

Thessalonica IV says you have to eat it sooner or later. And the sooner the better.

THessalonica IV? Is that a regional council or a council given ecumenical sanction?

I once attended a Catholic Seder meal. As one priest was leading the exposition on the Jewish traditions and the Last Supper, I was seated next to another priest, who was known to enjoy a good meal as well as being quite the jokester. He leaned over to me and whispered:

*"Watch – When he *[the leading priest] says the words of institution, I’ll stick out these two fingers and consecrate everything on the table. Then we will have to consume it all!"

:rotfl:
God bless Fr G+

tee

newadvent.org/cathen/13292d.htm

If food is Blessed (like the Polish custom of Blessing the Easter Baskets on Holy Saturday) it sould be disposed of properly as a sacramental.

Just for clarity I am not talking about a priest saying Grace or a Blessing before a meal, but specifically a priest Blessing the food, usually sprinkling it with Holy Water while saying a Blessing.

Hi Leo. It was a frivolous answer and an imaginary council. It does not seem that the Church could expect the faithful to dispose of corruptible materials such as food in the same way as we would with contaminated holy water or religious articles which need to be poured out, burned, or buried. I may be wrong, but when Father says the blessing at a meal, I do not think it is the same as when Father blesses our Rosaries. I have never heard that one must treat with such “blessed food” in any way differently from that which is given thanks for in Father’s absence.

I apologize for not taking your question more seriously the first time around.

Sincerely,

Rory

Why would people wants to do this, Bro?:slight_smile:

When I ask a priest to bless the food it is always in the undersatnding that it is a grace.

“Bless us and this thy gift which we are about to receive from your bounty. Through Christ our Lord. Amen.” Isn’t it a blessing no matter who gives it? Of course, I understand that when priest bless it’s Sacramental, like blessing an article.

Thanks for the clarification.

The Roman ritual provides a special blessing of food at Easter. The Poles, however, have their own traditional formulas of blessing, authorized by the Synod of Piotrkow (fifteenth century) and approved by Rome. This is an ancient Polish Easter blessing. (S.J., Harcourt, Brace and Company, New York, 1954).

I’m trying to find the right way to phrase this, so bear with me here. There are different “levels” of blessing foods. If the priest blesses the food by saying “Grace before a meal” (which is not really a blessing but a prayer unless a blessing is added) or some similar prayer, then the food is still simply ordinary food and we should feel free to dispose of the leftovers in any reasonable way that we normally do.

On the other hand, there are certain blessings which are more “solemn” (again, bear with me on the words). The most obvious would be the blessing of Easter foods on Holy Saturday. Some others are the blessing of bread on St Joseph day or bread on St Blaise day, If the foods have received this “more solemn” blessing, then the leftover parts which aren’t going to be eaten should be disposed in some respectful way. That usually meant burning them, but not everyone has a furnace to do so, as we did in the past. We should burn them if possible, otherwise bury them (w/o being scrupulous about it).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.