If all the Bibles were burned, how would you spread the Gospel?

To All CAF Members,

If all the Bibles were destroyed, how would you spread the Gospels?

If all the copies of the Bible were destroyed (and that would be more than burning books; between my two computers alone, I have at least two dozen copies of various versions), the whole of the Bible could still be reconstructed from the patristic writings. The POWs in Hanoi did much the same thing; one prisoner would be able to recite certain verses, and another would know what comes next, etc. They managed to put together some impressive passages of Scripture.

Thus why we memorize scripture, hide His Word in our hearts :slight_smile:

The Early Christian Church actually did well without the complete Bible since the first 20-30 yrs, they didn’t have the NT written down yet.

The same way as always.

BTW, there is a difference between the Gospel and the Gospels.

follow st. francis’s rule. “teach the gospel ,use words if you have to.”

Since it is impossible to preach the Gospel without language, then that would not go very far.

Rom 10:14 “How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher?”

In the context of the chapter, these are all rhetorical questions.

The actual rule is "“Preach the Gospel at all times. Where necessary, use words.”

It accepts that words are necessary, but also exhorts us to live the gospel.

You took my answer :mad:

Via Catholic Answers, of course!

The Internet is the new Irish monastery, you know. :wink:

The Gospel is all right there, in the Rosary…(I should probably be :slight_smile: knotting instead of typing just now…)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.