If all the copies of the Bibles in the world were destroyed how would you preach the Gospel?

Suppose if all the copies of the Bibles were destroyed by a extreme secular government (could be your native country). How would you as a Christian preach the Gospel?

For as Catholics, our answer is preached orally like the early Apostles to spread the Gospel of Christ.

=Mannyfit75;5438371]Suppose if all the copies of the Bibles were destroyed by a extreme secular government (could be your native country).

Was there something on the news about the president I didn’t hear about? :smiley: just kidding.

How would you as a Christian preach the Gospel?

We would secretly write things down again. We would preach from our memory of what scripture told us. We would use the writings of the early councils and fathers, and of course, the Book of Concord. :slight_smile:

For as Catholics, our answer is preached orally like the early Apostles to spread the Gospel of Christ.

Suppose all Catholics lost all memory of any and all oral tradition? How would you preach the Gospel of Christ? :wink:

Jon

I think I heard somewhere that if all the earliest manuscripts of the Gospels and Epistles had been destroyed, you could still reconstruct a good chunk of the New Testament from the early Church Fathers, who often quoted it.

So if all the Bibles get destroyed, it’s patristics time. :cool:

That is exactly right. Manny is really directing this at the solo scriptura folks.

And while you are Greek Orthodox, your post got me to think that, to answer this, all we have to do is ask the Russian Orthodox who survived Soviet oppression.

Jon

The thing is only that it is nearly impossible to destroy all Bibles. Even in countries where the possession is punished severely Bibles can still be found with Christians. (One example is North Korea.)
Open violence and persecution has always driven Christians underground and with them scripture.
God’s Word will prevail even through persecution.

Oh, this is of course true, and the hypothetical question by the OP wasn’t driving at that, I don’t think. But I’m speculating and not intending to put words in his mouth. I think it was driving at the idea that, if you believe in scripture alone in the very narrow sense that some do, how would you teach if scripture wasn’t available?

My hypothetical of what would you do if everyone forgot all they knew about oral tradition is certainly far less likely than his, but not much less enlightening.
Jon

The question is for everyone not just those individuals who adhere to Sola Scripture. I do think whatever Church you are in, the more likely chance the Bible can be preserved just it was for 2,000 yrs. Look at the development of Scripture? It was put together by Church Councils.

If Christians want put the Bible together again in an event the books is destroyed. We will do what the Catholics have done. We have to be careful not to add anything into the Bible… there are those individuals who think Jesus married Mary Magdalene and have a daughter name Sophie who settled in France…

Now this I absolutely agree with. Byzantine_Wolf mentioned a return to the patristics.
But again, how likely is a scenario such as this?
Jon

The modern secular society which wants to take God out of the public lime light… Unbelievers are slowly creeping their way in and try to shut out all Christians…

Now there’s a start of a circular argument, based on the thread topic, if I ever heard one… :whacky::shrug::popcorn:

Guess you and I (representative of all Christians) better learn to get along, despite our differences.
Jon

We may disagree on theological issues, but I think the threat of unbelievers forcing their will upon Christians is far greater threat… the losing side. The faith of billions of souls…

Well we go back to the universal Church like we did the first 300 to 400 years THE PILLAR OF TRUTH 1 Tim 3 ;15

The same way it was preached by the apostles before the bible was put together! Oral teaching!

Something like this very nearly happened during the reign of Diocletian just before Constantine.

Part of Diocletian’s policy was to destroy all copies of the Christian Scriptures. In fact, that’s the original meaning of the word “traitor” from “traditor”–those who “handed over” copies of the Scripture to be burned.

It didn’t work, of course.

In any case Origen once wrote something to the effect that even if not a single word of the Apostles’ letters or Gospels had been written down, “still all the world would believe…” and went into something very similar to the Apostles’ and Nicene Creeds–even with a Trinitarian structure.

I think I heard somewhere that if all the earliest manuscripts of the Gospels and Epistles had been destroyed, you could still reconstruct a good chunk of the New Testament from the early Church Fathers, who often quoted it.

All but 11 verses can be found in the pre-Nicene Fathers, Byzantine Wolf. Or so I’ve been told.

Sarah. The daughter’s name was, “Sarah”.

Hehehehehehe. :smiley:

I think I read a scholarly study of the ante-Nicene Fathers that mentioned the only parts of scripture they never quoted were 2 and 3 John, and maybe 2 Peter - I could be wrong.

Easy.
We can always go back to the Vatican. There the Pope is the president. :D:D
He will not confiscate any bible. And rest assured that all their bibles there are genuine copies of the original.

We don’t have to consult our faulty memories to re-construct any bible…:slight_smile:

Why not push this question to its logical limit?

Hypothetically speaking, how would Catholics or Protestants preach the gospel if any and all Christian literature/writing was completely eradicated?

Kind Regards,
Finrock

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.