If An FSSP Priest Was Appointed A Bishop

Hello. :slight_smile: I have been wondering this for quite a while: If an FSSP priest was appointed a bishop, could he request to be consecrated according to the 1962 Roman Pontifical? Or would he have to be consecrated according to the current Roman Pontifical?

God bless you for answering my question. :blessyou:

I would guess that the current Roman Pontifical would be used, unless the Pope made an exception in his Apostolic Mandate.

The truth is that no one really knows, because it has never happened before as of yet. :stuck_out_tongue:

While it probably would be up to the bishop-elect who was selected by the Holy See if not specified in the Papal Mandate, If he was appointed as a ordinary or auxilery of a Diocese the new bishop the diocese would in our present day have the OF as it’s primary liturgical rite, so he may opt for the OF rites,

iI would seem more plausible that he would be appointed to a curial post, or the FSSP would be given a status like the Society of St. John Vianney or Opus Dei, (Personal Prelature).

As FSSP priests only celebrate the Extraordinary Form of the Mass (Traditonal Latin Mass), it is unlikely that one would be appointed a diocesan bishop unless he could agree to celebrate the Ordinary Form as well.

Most FSSP priests only celebrate the EF, There was a big hubub a few years ago, (Long before Pope Benedict XVI’s Motu Proprio), It was clarified that they may offer either the OF or EF, Some felt it was the first step in revoking the FSSP and the right to the EF, however that has not been the case. While some FSSP priests do on supply for OF parishes and events, it is not common. The most common event would be the Chrsim Mass in a Diocese where the bishop would invite FSSP priests to concelebrate (usually on Holy Thursday, although moved by some bishops to allow more people to be present.)

Of course he could request it. Whether or not the request would be honored, though, is a different matter.

But anyway, the whole scenario is totally hypothetical. Personally, I rather doubt that any member of the FSSP would ever even be considered for the episcopacy, particularly under the current circumstances.

[quote=malphono] Quote:

Originally Posted by bben15

Hello. I have been wondering this for quite a while: If an FSSP priest was appointed a bishop, could he request to be consecrated according to the 1962 Roman Pontifical? Or would he have to be consecrated according to the current Roman Pontifical?

Of course he could request it. Whether or not the request would be honored, though, is a different matter.

But anyway, the whole scenario is totally hypothetical. Personally, I rather doubt that any member of the FSSP would ever even be considered for the episcopacy, particularly under the current circumstances.
[/quote]

What circumstances are you referencing?

Posted from Catholic.com App for Android

The untimely and premature death of the “Reform of the Reform” over the past seven months?

We have an FSSP priest “in residence” in our parish. (He’s the hospital chaplain for the two hospitals in our city.) He says two OF Masses in our parish and two OF Masses during the week.

FSSP priests accept that the OF is both valid and licit. As opposed to the SSPX and other groups that do not have full communion with the Holy See. As the post above indicates it is not unheard of for a FSSP priest to offer the OF. Most FSSP priests I know are very busy with their apostolates and may never offer the OF, but for those assigned to parishes where the OF is the standard rite, we find those who offer both forms of the rite.

[quote="Elizium23, post:9, topic:341109"]
The untimely and premature death of the "Reform of the Reform" over the past seven months?

[/quote]

There never was a "Reform of the Reform". Nothing has changed. Has Pope Francis indicated that Summorum Pontificum will be reversed? No.

It’s funny that on CAF I’m always reading posts about F.S.S.P. priests saying the OF; however, anytime I ask F.S.S.P. priests and seminarians about this, I get the impression that it is not likely to happen, not because they’re busy, but because their charism includes praying the traditional Latin Mass according to the 1962 missal. :shrug:

[quote="Brendan_64, post:12, topic:341109"]
There never was a "Reform of the Reform". Nothing has changed. Has Pope Francis indicated that Summorum Pontificum will be reversed? No.

[/quote]

That is not what he is talking about. (Although I generally disagree with his assertion.)

I assumed he was talking about the “Reform of the Reform” being a view that certain reforms of (or resulting from) Vatican II were being reformed by Pope Benedict, and that something like Summorum Pontificum was an example of Benedict’s “Reform of the Reform”.

My point was that nothing has changed in this regard and that Pope Francis hasn’t done anything to radically change course from what Pope Benedict had been doing in this regard (i.e. he hasn’t overturned things like Summorum Pontificum).

My view is that Pope Benedict was not instigating a programme of ‘reforming’ previous reforms, and nor is Pope Francis. So nothing has changed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.