If astrology is so bad, then why does it describe me so well?

If astrology is so bad, then why does it describe me so well?

A friend asked me what sign I was, and I told them. So now they where sending me Facebook messages from a page that is devoted to my astrological sign. I know what the Catechism says about astrology, but how can the traits of people being born under a sign be incorrect? I don’t believe in horoscopes, but these character traits of people with my sign described me perfectly. It was actually kinda creepy how accurate it is.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

They describe everybody perfectly… That’s the scam.

catholic.com/quickquestions/how-do-i-explain-why-we-shouldnt-read-horoscopes

Here’s a good summation.

catholic.com/tracts/astrology

This also contains various quotations on astrology and Catholicism.

As another poster said, astrologers say things that are so broad that they could describe almost anybody. They seem as if they fit because they say things that are almost impossible not to be accurate some way.

Alternatively, they may describe you perfectly…they describe me completely incorrectly.

A stopped clock is still correct exactly twice a day.

How accurate is this?

You appear to be a cheerful, well-balanced person. You may have some alternation of happy and unhappy moods, but they are not extreme now. You have few or no problems with your health. You are sociable and mix well with others. You are adaptable to social situations. You tend to be adventurous. Your interests are wide. You are fairly self-confident and usually think clearly.

At times you are extroverted, affable, sociable, while at other times you are introverted, wary and resented. You have found it unwise to be too frank in revealing yourself to others. You pride yourself on being an independent thinker and do nor accept others’ opinions without satisfactory proof. You prefer a certain amount of change and variety and become dissatisfied when hemmed in by restrictions and limitations. At times you have serious doubts as to whether you have made the right decision or done the right thing. Disciplined and controlled on the outside, you tend to be worrisome and insecure on the inside.

By the power of coincidence. And maybe some confirmation bias?

Bradski! How can you possibly know me so well?! :rolleyes:

As others have said, the “accuracy” of a horoscope actually lies in how vague and applicable to everyone else it is. It’s specifically written with a bunch of specific-sounding vague descriptions that could easily apply to just about everyone, and tends to usually use a lot of “usually you’re blank, but at times you can be blank and blank.” The problem with astrology lies in using it as a guiding force for your life and your life choices. No one writing horoscopes can actually predict your future. No one can, because that’s 1) absurd, and 2) impossible. Trusting in horoscopes is putting your faith in something other than God, which is why it is a sin (while reading them for fun isn’t, but it’s still pointless). Personally, I tend to be wary of people who put too much stock in astrological signs. If a person actually bases our relationship on my birth month, I’m going to base our interactions on the assumption that they’re crazy. :smiley:

That’s how astrology, handwriting analysis, and personality tests “work.”

What everyone wrote is exactly what I was going to add. I always felt it funny how my husband’s sign often fit me so well too–day after day!

Exactly! That is how people can get hooked on such practices, and then their focus is off the Lord.

I bet if you read the descriptions for other signs they will describe you pretty well too.

You may be getting a raise soon.:slight_smile:

I’m still waiting for someone to ask me what my sign is. Then I can ask in return, “You mean you can’t tell?” :wink:

If someone asks us what our “sign” is we can politely say “the sign of the Cross”.

Good one! I always wear my Tau, so I could just point to it.

:thumbsup:

Hi! I would say that astrology uses generic terms that can apply to lots of people when describing character or ‘personality’. Horoscopes draw people in because as a rule people want to hear something that inspires and so the seeker looks into what is said for some kind of sign. It is not something concrete but rather fluke. And it is manipulative. That said, people don’t know whether a mother giving birth in a certain part of the year, due to the differing amount of light there is during each day from one season to the next, might affect the baby in the womb. I certainly think there are general national traits from country to country across the globe present in people as a rule and this is probably something to do with where the countries are on the globe according to their position in relation to the sun - again, light, being the deciding factor. This is a theory. I’m not a scientist. Maybe it bears no relation whatsoever. But if light is a factor before birth then I’d say that seasonal traits are likely. This might bring minimal differences, rather than vast, I’d imagine. But from month to month; this seems too slight a change in weather condition. There are months when seasons seem to change from one to another and so I suppose these can be different again in terms of light. As far as personality according to star signs though, I can’t see how this applies, because stars are so far from earth that one star sign surely overlooks everyone so all star signs would apply to each person if stars affected people. I think the stars affect solar systems - again, not a scientist - but not individuals. One other thing that could affect the mood of the mother - if weather can affect the baby in the womb - is the tide and this is in relation to the moon. And so again, I suppose, light. When pregnant a woman may morph at certain periods during full moons into hairy scary creatures with fangs looking for midnight snacks! (:p)

Anyway, Scripture says don’t look for signs. If a sign is real, it will be from the Holy Spirit, and you won’t have to look too hard to find it.

The only star that I think bears any real direct relation to happenings on earth was the star over Bethlehem when our Lord was born. A star apparently featured on a Roman coin after this period. This is the star we need to focus on and this star is the only real important star at this time of year. Or during any part of the year for that matter.

All great responses so far! :thumbsup:

I still think it’s odd how well the traits describe me and not the individual horoscopes (I don’t believe in those). My wife and brother fit under their respective signs as well. I just found this to be a strange quirk that astrology purports.

My friend gave me a good reason why we shouldn’t play with this stuff, even if it seems harmless.

He said that what you hear may sound affirming, or if you’re struggling it may even give you a sense of hope. This is especially true if you’re having your fortune read or someone tells you they have a message from a deceased loved one.

But once you believe the loved one (or a spirit) has your best interest at heart and may be giving wise direction, that is when you become vulnerable to the enemy and are susceptible to manipulation.

“Evil” and “danger” are not always clearly evident. Demons are clever; satan poses as an angel of light; by observation they can know a lot about us, even things we believe “nobody else could know.”

I know you intend this is a silly harmless thing, but be certain that the enemy does not. Please take care. :blush:

Yes as I recall from my earlier academic studies that is because they use general traits that people can find themselves in… I forget the term used for this but recall there was one for this.

I vaguely recall perhaps a study that had been done (this was many years ago) that one could mix up the traits and gave them the other “sign” names and the person would then see themselves in those traits (because they were told it was their sign)- even though they really were traits that were from other “signs”. The persons not knowing beforehand that this was done…

As to the why they are bad and sinful here are some reasons:

Catechism:

2116 All forms of divination are to be rejected: recourse to Satan or demons, conjuring up the dead or other practices falsely supposed to “unveil” the future. Consulting horoscopes, astrology, palm reading, interpretation of omens and lots, the phenomena of clairvoyance, and recourse to mediums all conceal a desire for power over time, history, and, in the last analysis, other human beings, as well as a wish to conciliate hidden powers. They contradict the honor, respect, and loving fear that we owe to God alone.

scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s2c1a1.htm#2116

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.