If Catholics’ interpret of Mat 16:18 is true, all other denominations aren’t Christ’s church?

17 Jesus said to him in reply, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah. For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my heavenly Father.

18 And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it.

19 I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven. Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."

And the gates of the netherworld shall open against other churches? Because, according to Catholicism the Apostle Peter is first Pope and Catholic Church is one true church.
But, historically, Orthodox Church are founded by the Apostles including St Peter. Still they aren’t Christ’s church? Why? Are they also Christ’s Church and/or immortal against the netherworld?

Catholics consider the Orthodox to have apostolic succession. Catholics aren’t a denomination, by the way.

The Catholic Church considers the Orthodox to be “Sister Churches”, as outlined in the Decree on Ecumenism Unitatis redintegratio. The Catholic Church has also declared that the Orthodox Churches have true orders and sacraments.

ZP

Why should it surprise anyone that God would’ve established one Church with a unified body of beliefs, with one main pastor, so to speak, who possesses the central authority necessary to ensure the continued unification of those beliefs? And why should other groups/denominations with beliefs that diverge from the early Church as well as from each other, share that role with the Church that God established, a Church having a continuous historical legacy dating to the beginnings of Christianity? The others may be imperfectly connected to His Church, but cannot be on equal ground.

As other posters have said, however, the Eastern Orthodox also possesses the qualifications necessary to qualify as Church. The only real and primary issue causing division being a matter of schism caused by not recognizing the true role of the singular “pastor”, or understanding the need for that office to begin with.

The magisterium recognizes all baptism in the name of the trinity. So the Church, the body of Christ would include all people of all denominations. That’s the Church Jesus built on Peter.

The Roman Rite is the fullness of that Church.

Not just the Roman rite. From Vatican II’s document ORIENTALIUM ECCLESIARUM:

“The Catholic Church holds in high esteem the institutions, liturgical rites, ecclesiastical traditions and the established standards of the Christian life of the Eastern Churches, for in them, distinguished as they are for their venerable antiquity, there remains conspicuous the tradition that has been handed down from the Apostles through the Fathers (1) and that forms part of the divinely revealed and undivided heritage of the universal Church.”

“They are consequently of equal dignity, so that none of them is superior to the others as regards rite and they enjoy the same rights and are under the same obligations, also in respect of preaching the Gospel to the whole world (cf. Mark 16, 15) under the guidance of the Roman Pontiff.”

ZP

I think this rephrasing might help clarify what you meant to say:

Those in communion with the Bishop of Rome are the fullness of that Church.

Could be wrong here but I doubt the poster was referring to.rites eclusively but meant to.say that the RCC possesses the fullness of truth. This was a concept expressed in the Vat II document Nostra Aetate

The Orthodox Churches do have Apostolic Succession and valid sacraments, but they have been separated from the true Church through a schism. They were at one time, along with the RCC, the true Church.

What about the Ruthenian Greek Catholic Church, the Melkite Greek Catholic Church, the Chaldean Catholic Church? Catholic is not synonymous for Roman.

ZP

Thank you.

My point was only to say everyone baptized form the church instituted by Jesus.

The Church does not deny that.

To add to that there were different sects of Judaism: Pharisees, Saducees, Essenes, etc… all were included as God’s chosen people Israel.

I see. What I was getting at is that the fullness of truth has nothing to do with the particular rite at all, but with the Church God established for that purpose, of receiving, preserving, and proclaiming that truth. And so yes, these other Churches are all fully and perfectly joined to that Church along with the RCC. But, as you say, because they’re Catholic, in union with the Pontiff, but not because of or due to their rite. The term “Catholic” alone, however, is sometimes used by other denominations, churches, individuals.

The gates of hell cannot prevail against the Catholic Church, as it is The Church that Jesus established. The gates of hell CAN prevail against other versions of Christianity and in fact already have in several/most cases, to different degrees. The Catholic Church will never change it’s teachings or stop teaching the full truth.

Don’t get me wrong. I love the Church & I’m truly trying to conform to all her teaching.

But…

Though he was born in Bethlehem, Jesus came from Gallilee. Not Jerusalem or Judea for that matter.

I’m not sure how where Jesus lived has anything to do with the Catholic Church teaching the fullness of Truth until the end of time?

16:18 I will build Jesus portrays the church as a spiritual Temple ( Cor 3:16-3.17:2 cor6:16: Eph 2:19 -22: Pet 2:4-8) As Solomon was the son of David and the anointed Temple builder in the OT, so Jesus is the Davidic “Son of God” (16:16) and the anointed Messiah who builds the Church in the New elsewhere see himself as both similar and superior to King Solomon (12:42) Among the Gospels, Mathew alone uses the word Church (18:17) The word is used often in the Greek OT for the “congregation” or assembly" of Israel united to God. Jesus uses it in a similar way for the new covenant community the new gates of Hades. In the OT , Hade Salso called “Sheol” or the pit

Just like God established Israel as his chosen people, Jesus (God) established his Church.

Jerusalem became the place to worship God. Judah was set apart as "the fullness"of the faith. The Samaritans were basically cut off, not recognized as Israel by “Judah” & to a lesser degree, the Hellenistic Gallileans.

The Church is the new Jerusalem. All the baptized form the body of Christ. Is it not possible the second coming might come from the body of Christ, outside the Catholic Church?

Jesus established a church with an actual structure and hierarchy. It’s true that all baptized form the body of Christ but the Catholic Church is “the Church”.

A justification of Catholicism should not invoke Mt. 16:18. It is a very brittle defense. If one is going to defend Catholicism, one should defend it on its intrinsic merits, as indeed the RCC used to do up until a few centuries ago. It is lamentable that the RCC later walked into the protestant trap of trying to justify Her own existence by an appeal to scripture.

Female “clergy”, gay marriage, supporting abortion, etc. yeah, I’d say the gates are wide open against heretical churches.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.