If CC becomes reconciled, will Protestants too?

The Catholic Church accepts Orthodox as a ‘complete’ church. Orthodoxy does not accept the Catholic Church as complete.

Imagine a scenario whereby teh CC admitted error and was reconciled with Orthodoxy. Would the Protestant denominations then become reconciled as the reasons for ‘protest’ would no longer be valid.

One can only pray that will happen!!! :thumbsup:

Which error are you referring to?

If I am understanding your question correctly, then I highly doubt it. If that were the case, then they would have defected to the Orthodox Church in the first place and not formed new branches of Christianity. Today, and even in the beginning of the Protestant Revolution, there are too many doctrinal differences to make that possible.

Most Protestants I suspect, at least quite a few of them could care less about the Catholics and Orthodox. What happened about 400 years ago is irrelevent to them. What they care about is their personal relationship to Christ, their families spiritual health, and matters such as this. Sure it is interesting to people like me but I suspect we would not be the majority.

riginally Posted by Sixtus
Imagine a scenario whereby teh CC admitted error and was reconciled with Orthodoxy.

Which error are you referring to?

I said ‘imagine a scenario’. The situation is hypothetical. I am interested to know if the two sides of the same coin once more become but one coin, what will the thousands of denominations who are pro-testant of CC, will they too become reconciled since their reasons for protesting would no longer be valid. Viz Luther’s criticism of CC

A correspondent above [sorry,can’t remember your user-name] has in part answered the question by asserting that when Luther broke away, they did not re-align with Orthodoxy. That seems more or less to answer my original question.

The liturgical Churches, Anglican, Lutheran and perhaps others, would need to sit up and take note if this happened. It might very well have an effect with them. The more evangelical and/or fundamentalist denominations would probably not care.

I’m not sure what you mean by a “complete church.” My understanding is that the RCC recognizes your particular churches as valid. They are churches in the full sense of the word, which may be what you mean by “complete.”

Imagine a scenario whereby the CC admitted error and was reconciled with Orthodoxy. Would the Protestant denominations then become reconciled as the reasons for ‘protest’ would no longer be valid.

I personally would certainly become Orthodox in those circumstances. And conversely, if a significant portion of Orthodoxy was reconciled to Rome, I’d become Catholic.

I believe firmly that the Catholic-Orthodox split is the only sufficient justification (if it is sufficient) for the separate existence of Protestantism.

In Christ,

Edwin

The CC would never give up papal infallibility. However, the CC might re-define/clarify it, such that the Orthodox would accept it.

I guess it’s possible in theory, but I cannot really see any scenario where the Orthodox would settle for anything less than doing away with Papal infallability.

He’s talking about Orthodoxy while you are talking about Eastern Catholics. Your understanding is correct for Eastern Catholics, but it doesn’t address his point. I do not want to put words in his mouth, but I believe he means the Catholic communion of churches (including east and west) is incomplete without unity with the Orthodox.

No. I’m talking about the Orthodox. The Catholic view of the Orthodox is that they have valid particular churches. Obviously the Catholic view of Eastern Catholics is that they are, well, Catholic–fully part of the One Church!

I recognize that he thinks Catholicism is incomplete without the Orthodox–if that’s what he’s talking about, then he’s wrong in saying that Catholics think the Orthodox are complete without Catholicism.

In Christ,

Edwin

The CC will NEVER admit error, since that is their main argument against Protestants for being the “right church” (the one Jesus founded).
The Protestants will NEVER reconcile either because there are far too many denominations and some are adamant about what they believe, to the point where they won’t budge for no one. :wink:

I think such an event would tear the Anglican church apart. it would cause schism in the church whereby the “Anglo-Catholic” majority of the Congregration would likely re-join with Rome, although that process would take several decades because it would require the “anglo-Catholic” Anglican priests to slowly accept it.

It appears the Anglican church is splintering apart even without this proposed CC - Orthodox reunion. :frowning:

With God, all things are possible. I pray you are wrong.:gopray2:

He’s talking about Orthodoxy while you are talking about Eastern Catholics.

, but I believe he means the Catholic communion of churches (including east and west) is incomplete without unity with the Orthodox.

That is precisely what I am saying

In that case you are certainly wrong in saying that Catholics regard the Orthodox as a “complete” Church. On average they grant you more than you grant them, but they don’t think you are “complete” without them.

Edwin

I live in a veritable sea of fundamentalists, and I think they would, in general, have a lot more difficulty with Orthodoxy than they do with Catholicism. Consequently, I cannot picture reunion making a favorable impression on them.

As was mentioned, I think it would be kicked around within the confines of mainline protestant denoms. But for the vast majority of Evangelicals, it wouldn’t matter…Most Baptist congregations take pride in their autonomous churches and would never ceed it b/c they think it’s uncessessary based on their biblical interpretation. Some may even see a reunited East and West as some sort of working of the Anti-Christ.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.