If Constantine the Great is celebrated as a saint by Byzantine Catholics, must not he be a saint in the Western Rite?

I may have asked this before, but I just want it to be clarified. Is it just that Constantine is not celebrated liturgically? For on the Catholic Online website, it says his Feast Day is the 21st of May.

Thank you for reading.
God bless you.

far as I know, he is considered a saint.

In the Latin church, he is not inscribed in the Martyrology, therefore, he is not considered a canonized saint and cannot be commemorated liturgically in any manner whatsoever, not even as an optional memorial or votive. Neither is he entitled to any popular devotions or cultus.

Since the Latin church has no issues with the Eastern Catholic churches celebrating him, this should be taken as a tacit agreement that Constantine “made it.” However, this just means that from a commemoration perspective, he’s included only in All Saints’ Day, along with all the other holy ones who have not been raised to the honours of the altar.

It’s hard to imagine why he would be considered a saint. He was a pretty hard-core guy.

So was King David if you think about it. :wink:

Is there any particular reason why Constantine the Great has not inscribed in the Martyrology? Besides the fact that he would not be considered your ‘typical’ saint but then again, there’s very few other men that have done so much for the Faith besides St. Paul and Christ Himself. It’s extremely hard to envisage Christianity today without his conversion and subsequent endorsement of the Faith.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.