If God exists, why do so many people doubt?

“If God existed, not so many people would doubt. The fact that there is not enough evidence to convince the majority of people points toward the idea that religion is all a fable, not actual truth.”

Although I’m not in a state of doubt right now, I have struggled with this objection in the past. I haven’t really come across a great answer, so I’d like to see your guys’ perspective on this.

Atheism has only really picked up in the last century or so. Before that, it was more common to express your religious ideas without getting looks or feeling out of place.

Plus, we are a flawed human race that tends toward sin. It is easy to gravitate towards sin but very hard to overcome it. The road to heaven is a narrow one. I know that the devil has at times tried to put doubt in my mind but it has never really worked.

To add, there SO much more evidence for God than the opposite. I have no idea how anyone can be an atheist this day in age, with all the resources provided to research.

I am not quite sure how the quoted person would know what proofs will exist for a God or god s/he doesn’t believe exist.

Our fallen nature, the result of distrusting God’s presence in the beginning clouds our knowing God. We see with eyes of flesh, a remnant of this distrust. Trust is required, not the senses.

The majority of people…have been convinced…atheism has been since at least ~5,000 BC or so if I recall, but yet the vast majority of people, nearly universally, have believed in God.
So it’s not even true.

But, it also doesn’t make sense. Many people doubt the Holocaust, does that mean it didn’t happen?

Mob mentality does not equal truth.

“If vaccines were safe, not so many people would doubt that they’re so. So, they must be unsafe.”

If I actually believed this and posted it on facebook, I’d be called a loon. The original quote shouldn’t be taken much differently.

MY doubt is more about my own salvation than the existence of God.

If there was direct visible tangible scientific measured and confirmed evidence for God, there would be no need for Faith.

God desires Faith Hope and Love from us, as St. Paul so eloquently put in Corinthians.

If you are open to His graces, you will ultimately be able to see ample evidence of His existance. But you have to patiently develop those wonderful virtues in order to see that evidence. For many people it takes years to develop that openness.

Be patient, trust Him, and bask in the wonderful grace that He so generously provides.

Hey, it’s taken me over 70 years to get where I am, and I still desire to draw closer to Him every day.

I don’t think that’s the case. Rather, it points to the fact that the “majority of people” don’t understand that it’s unreasonable to ask for physical evidence of a non-physical being. :man_shrugging:

I often wonder why people smoke in the UK, the pictures and warnings on the packets graphically highlight the dangers. It seems we like to ignore evidence and do our own thing.

First, it is very important to understand that God does not exists.

Actually, He IS.

Once you realize this difference, believing all that the Church teaches about Him becomes easier to understand.

Moreover, people who generally doubt His being usually believe in some sort of deity instead. This deity is mainly humanist or mundane (“science”, cosmos, nature etc.)

Care to indulge me please?

Are there photographs of God? Are there records of people in heaven like there are of Holocaust victims? Are there craters proving angels who fell?

Again, same thing as Kei. Is there scientific proof from a lab of God’s existence like there is of vaccines?

Is there scientific proof of love? Are there photographs of love?

Sure there may be a photograph of a wedding or a couole with their newborn baby, or a CT scan of someone’s brain in love but there is no scientific evidence that love itself exists materially.

There’s plenty of scientific evidence of how the brain changes when you’re in love, there’s photographs of that. We know it’s a chemical in the brain, it certainly does exist materially

One word: pride

It was the original sin.

It is the subject of the First Commandment (“first” for a reason). (Some of the ancient Jewish scholars said that the first commandment can be summarized as: “I am God, you are not”)

It remains the greatest sin today and will remain so for all time

Love is way more than just a chemical in the brain. It is something that transcends individuals and time.

Would you please explain how you arrived at that conclusion?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.