If God exists, why do so many people doubt?

As a question, what is your explanation for the existence of consciousness? At first glance at least, it seems that a purely material explanation of the universe would exclude the possibility of matter evolving into an object with the power of self reflection? I mean how would a rock become a conscious being? Or take the beginning or at least one beginning, the instant of the Big Bang? Where was consciousness then and how did it come about? Some religions regard consciousness as involving something spiritual or a small spark or reflection of the divine.
OTOH, atheists do raise some difficult questions which have not been answered to their satisfaction. Even many religious people do not take the stories in the Bible literally. For example, they will find it difficult to believe that a man (Jonah) could survive after being swallowed by a fish and remaining in the stomach of the fish for three days.

We’re talking about the theistic God here. And the theistic God, by definition, has these attributes.

This thread was hijaked pretty quickly. Next time, can we please make a new thread or take it to PMs?

That’s circular logic. God gave me free will because I have free will to disagree because God gave me free will. God created the universe because he’s the father of the universe.

Under no definition of the word “proof” is that good enough

Yeah I hear you there. Sorry Brittany :slightly_frowning_face:

I’ll stop talking here

No it isn’t.

Do you make decisions? Or is everything you do pre-determined, such that you have no power to make a conscious decision?

If you answer ‘yes’, then you’ve demonstrated that free will exists. That’s not “circular logic”, it’s a claim that’s self-evident.

The claim for God isn’t circular logic, either, even though you’d like it to be. We base our claims for God’s existence on the witness given in the Bible and by eyewitnesses to Jesus’ earthly life. He claimed that there is a God and that He, in fact, is God.

So, if we make a reasoned decision to believe in the testimonies which we find written and passed down, then we know there is a God. This decision, then, informs us that God created the universe. It also informs us that God is all-good, all-knowing, and all-powerful. That’s not circular logic, either. :wink:

(Oh – and in response to your tag line: evil exists because God allows it. That doesn’t imply He isn’t all-good or all-knowing or all-powerful. But hey… nice try. :wink: )

Because people dabble too much and fall too much into falasies, that’s the same reason why people join and believe in false religions such as Islam or Buddhism and why people get to believe all sorts of odd things, they make arguments that on surface seem right, but when their logics and pressupositions are analysed, they fall down. So, why do people doubt of God? A. Cause they have a mentality that leans towards it B. Cause they have a series of fallacies going around C. The culture! The culture we live in today is so secular it makes it hard to mantain a religious mind, i’ve often gone out with friends on a rather normal social activity and came back feeling empty inside and tempted to atheism despite no arguments for it, the reason? Worldliness, worldliness is a poison that “eats your soul” metaphorically speaking that is

God bless

You bear NO responsibility for your current helpless state?

No actually, we aren’t “arguing in circles.” You are thinking in circles by begging your own question.

You: I cannot do X because God doesn’t allow me to do X.

Me: How do you know God doesn’t ‘allow’ you to do X?

You: Because I am not doing X.

Today I’m thinking maybe they doubt because they don’t love enough.

Not just loving God, but also loving their neighbor, and maybe even loving themselves.

If you made your whole self and life into an act of love, then would there be room for doubt?
Maybe so, because Mother Theresa lived a life of love and had doubts, but it seems with her, love won out.

Why does it seem that way to you?

Because she is a canonized saint now, based upon her life on earth (and I presume, miracles performed under her intercession). When a person is canonized, it means that Catholics are bound to believe that the person is definitely in heaven, gazing on the beatific vision of God.
So despite whatever doubts she may have had on earth, she is in heaven with God now.
And obviously no longer has any doubts.

Yes, I thought that was why you said that. I have an MA in theology. Still, better to ask. I can’t read minds. LOL Her confessor told her that her doubt, during which she fervently wished to believe, was, itself, a form of faith.

That was a good statement by the confessor.
It reminds me a bit of the Thomas Merton prayer.

My Lord God,
I have no idea where I am going.
I do not see the road ahead of me.
I cannot know for certain where it will end.
nor do I really know myself,
and the fact that I think I am following your will
does not mean that I am actually doing so.
But I believe that the desire to please you
does in fact please you.
And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing.
I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire.
And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road,
though I may know nothing about it.
Therefore will I trust you always though
I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death.
I will not fear, for you are ever with me,
and you will never leave me to face my perils alone.

Well, one needs to keep in mind that the Catholic Church does not and may not ever create concepts, truths etc… This Holy Church, in this case, is but the keeper of the truth revealed by God Himself.

I say this because I can’t imagine what additional support protestants could have, except for the good old catecism, which is based in teachings of great doctors, confessors and saints of the Church, besides the Holy Scriptures themselves.

I believe under Jewish tradition it’s considered one of the names of God. Some protestants take from this. It has also been interpreted in future tense and to say that Yahweh is promising to be with his people. In ancient Hebrew the same wording can be used for present tense and future tense. There are are some other interpretations and sources too, but these are what I can remember.

You go with the religion that your heart and mind tell you is the best or the right one. G-d has given us the power to reason and a heart to feel. Atheists have these abilities as well, and use them to doubt or reject the existence of G-d. Free will to believe, doubt, reject, reconsider, and have faith or not, is a precious gift from G-d.

I agree. We are all on a path back to G-d, but we are at different places on that path. I believe G-d gives us the ability to discern the right path, i.e., religion for us at this time. I believe there are many paths to G-d.

The level of doubt you have is based on your experience about reality and how you interpret those experiences. Facts about reality + your applied logic = your beliefs/conclusions about those experiences. You’re beliefs/conclusions are not a choice you make. It’s the direct result of the equation. Sit in a chair and then choose to believe you are not sitting in a chair. You can lie to everyone else and profess a false belief about not sitting in a chair, but you can not lie to yourself. Currently there is no factual evidence of the supernatural at this time that people can independently investigate. So for people that are able to be swayed that the supernatural exists only through logical conclusions, that’s what works for them. But it’s not enough for everyone else. For many others, you need to be able to investigate and be able to falsify those logical conclusions. For example: Einstein logically, mathematically, concluded that gravity waves should exist. The religious are the people that only use that as a justification for believing gravity waves actually exist. The non-religious with-held judgement to that conclusion until 2015 when we were able to actually detect these gravity waves as part of reality. So until that level of evidence is presented, the non-believers will stay non-believers because they understand that you can be logically correct and still factually wrong since everyone’s logic is based on their current understanding of reality and no one knows everything about reality, so our logic can be flawed. We just don’t know it’s flawed since we don’t have all the data. That’s why we run tests and experiments on our logical conclusions. Otherwise, why not just pitch medical science and take the snake oil that some charlatan has logically convinced you to be medicine.

Not orthodox Catholic teaching I’m afraid.

While most religions have some truth and a person who does not know of the Catholic Church through no fault of their own may be saved only the Catholic Church has the fullness of truth and salvation is ultimately through Christ and by extension his Church.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.