If God exists, why do so many people doubt?

No friend, I don’t think so. Otherwise you wouldn’t be here.

I came here for the wrong reasons, i’m starting to realize. I came here looking for approval and reassurance. I can’t believe in God to calm my soul, doesn’t work that way

Actually, there is PLENTY of evidence that God exists. You can find it in the book: New Proofs for the Existence of God: Contributions of Contemporary Physics and Philosophy by Robert J. Spitzer.

That’s great for you. But I see plenty of unhappy Christians and plenty of happy atheists.

You lost me. What religion claims that you’re going to Hell if you don’t love God enough? You only go to Hell if you willingly do an action you know to be seriously wrong. You don’t have to be religious at all–you can be an atheist and know right from wrong. And if you say that you are insane and can’t tell the difference, that’s fine too, because you won’t go to Hell for doing something you didn’t know was wrong.

Um, didn’t Jesus supposedly say that whoever believed in Him would live?

Don’t atheists go to Hell?

If you came to find approval and reassurance of despair, I agree, you aren’t going to find that here. If you came for confirmation of your searching, your questioning, your doubt; then yes, let me assure you and tell you that those are all part of valid faith journey. Let me also say that I have found, sometimes unbidden, that God does calm my soul, if I just let Him. Indeed, I personally have found that it actually does sometimes “work that way”. God loves you, even if you aren’t feeling particularly loving toward God right now. Just keep trying. Always keep trying.

It’s His turn to try dammit!! He’s all-powerful and all-loving. Where is He?? I demand He explain to me why on Earth am I to love Him despite ignoring the pain of billions of humans every single day of existence!

Certainly living a live of faith is no guarantee of happiness, but I don’t accept that those without faith can ever be truly happy.

“Our hearts are restless, until they can find rest in you.”
Augustine of Hippo (354–430), in Confessions

You are clearly angry with God. That’s Okay. Lots of saints have been angry with God. Share your anger at Him with Him. Just don’t stop talking to Him.

I have nothing further to offer.

My hopes and prayers are with you.

Pax vobiscum

They’ll be in vain.

To your first question: Yes, he did. But he did NOT say that anyone who did NOT believe in him would go to Hell.

Second question: I am going to assume that you are not trolling the site or trying to bait people on the site. I’m going to assume you’re sincere. So where on earth are you getting these ideas? Not from the Catholic Church. https://www.catholic.com/qa/can-an-atheist-go-to-heaven
Anyone–ANYONE–who tries to live a good life will go to Heaven. You have to really work at it to get to Hell. You don’t go there accidentally or for trivial matters.

Some people (you?) seem to think that religion is easy. They think they should somehow know all the answers without any study at all or without any personal analysis of the issues involved.
Poof! I’m converted. I understand everything. I go to Heaven. Nope. Doesn’t work that way, at least in Catholicism. If you were studying physics, would you get annoyed because you didn’t understand quantum physics in five minutes? And yet God is infinitely more complex. Some things are a mystery–we simply don’t know. But guess what–ask any scientist–the more you know about any branch of science, the more you realize you don’t know very much, and that there is so much we simply don’t know. If that’s true of science, why wouldn’t it be true of religion?

Okay, than who goes to hell? If I’m an atheist, but I’m a good person and never do wrong, do I go to hell?

Does a man who has sex with men but is a good person go to hell?

If I have sex with my hypothetical loving girlfriend and I die the next day unrepented and unmarried do I go to hell?

I’m confused. What’s been going on in here to make you so down, Curious One Won?

Yes but WHY is it like that? It’s perfectly apparent that it’s because God doesn’t lift a finger to simplify anything!! He prefers to have us doubt and send the doubters to hell than to tell us once and for all what’s his deal

Long story, and you’re not into apologetics, so it probably wouldn’t be a fruitful conversation

Why would doubters be going to hell?

You’re right–this is a central problem of religion. First, you have to set aside evil that is the result of men–wars, crimes, greed, etc. Then you’re left with natural evil–sickness and natural disasters like earthquakes, floods, famine, etc. Can we explain this? No. Is this the only thing we can’t explain? No. There are all sorts of things we can’t explain. Same with science. Why should this be different?

Isaiah 55:8-9:

“For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,”
declares the Lord.
“As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts."

All of this simply dodges the question of why an infinitely loving God would rather risk his supposedly beloved children spending eternity in hell than explaining Himself once for all.

For the love of God, why would He create us so incapable of understanding Him? It doesn’t make even a tiny bit of sense

Not definitely. People who through no fault of their own do not know of the Church may go to heaven

In the other two cases there is grave matter involved. It may not be mortal sin and they have until death to repent if it is.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.