If God forbade SSA sex ....then we can be sure it's not heritable

Not genetic for sure, ....no way / no how.

Since when is any type of sexual activity inheritable?

[quote="brb3, post:1, topic:322163"]
Not genetic for sure, ....no way / no how.

[/quote]

This is a fallacy in thinking, the apples and oranges fallacy (I think). Being forbidden does not remove the potential for inheritance. I'm pretty sure God didn't want people getting diabetes, cancer, etc, and yet we've proven a genetic predisposition to those illnesses. Remember, Adam and Eve's sin allowed death (and disease and the like) into humanity; it could be a residual affect of that.

This all being said, I do not in any way shape or form believe there is a genetic marker for homosexuality. I think it is predominately an influence of culture and upbringing.

Since God said…Adam, here is your wife Eva, now you may know her in the way you were created/designed, male with female.

i believe nurture AND nature play a role. i had to have genetics for my degree, its amazing more people arent screwed up, and there is still so much more to learn when it comes to dna and gene sequencing...

[quote="brb3, post:4, topic:322163"]
Since God said....Adam, here is your wife Eva, now you may know her in the way you were created/designed, male with female.

[/quote]

God designed men and women to have working ears, eyes, and legs. He designed our hearts to pump blood and our sexual organs to be able to reproduce. And yet there are thousands of children born throughout the world who are unable to hear, see, or walk. Many who have heart defects or who will be unable to have children of their own some day.

God designed males and females to be sexually attracted to each other. Yet we know that some men are attracted to men and some women are atrracted to women. It is not inconceivable or contrary to our understanding of God and nature that such individuals may have acquired this predisposition genetically. Same sex attraction is not sinful. Engaging in homosexual activity is.

Just because the Bible does not approve of it does not mean that people cannot be genetically predisposed to it. Violent behavior and cursing are also forbidden by God, but people can still be genetically predisposed to neurological or psychiatric conditions (schizophrenia, Tourettes) in which those behaviors might be more likely to occur.

That said, sexual orientation CAN be chosen, and it can be influenced by situational or psychological factors, such as trauma involving the opposite sex or extreme environments like prison. To me, it's a non-issue. The cause of homosexuality is irrelevant to whether it is right, wrong, or neutral or what kind of status or approach it warrants from us.

What is your purpose in starting this thread? It seems destined to go poorly…

As ProdglArchitect said, being forbidden does not exclude the possibility that such an inclination could have a genetic component. Human nature was damaged in the Fall. There are all sorts of undesireable things that are geneitcally passed on.

Sorry, there is no “magic bullet” whereby we can completely dismiss the argument in one tweet-size phrase.

As I always say in these threads, I do not understand why we spend so much time debating whether SSA is genetic or not. It has no bearing whatsoever on the morality of the acts. All it usually does is irritate those with SSA who are adamant over the fact that they did not chose this inclination. What good does it do to help those who struggle come to Christ if we seem intent on being incendiary just for the sake of it?

[quote="nodito, post:6, topic:322163"]
God designed men and women to have working ears, eyes, and legs. He designed our hearts to pump blood and our sexual organs to be able to reproduce. And yet there are thousands of children born throughout the world who are unable to hear, see, or walk. Many who have heart defects or who will be unable to have children of their own some day.

God designed males and females to be sexually attracted to each other. Yet we know that some men are attracted to men and some women are atrracted to women. It is not inconceivable or contrary to our understanding of God and nature that such individuals may have acquired this predisposition genetically. Same sex attraction is not sinful. Engaging in homosexual activity is.

[/quote]

SSA leads to Homosexual sin. God wouldn't condemn something he designed.

Therefore, we can rest assured SSA is learned, .... not innate or in our DNA.

[quote="brb3, post:9, topic:322163"]
SSA leads to Homosexual sin. God wouldn't condemn something he designed.

Therefore, we can rest assured SSA is learned, .... not innate or in our DNA.

[/quote]

There is fallacy in this argument. They have found that the brain scans of murderers (esp. serial ones) indicate a predisposition to violence. However, murder is a sin, so under your argument, we can't be genetically predisposed to that behavior.

What's to say that God doesn't give some people homosexuality as their cross to bear. Perhaps, his plan for that person is to lead a religious single life. :shrug:

I agree with the others who say regardless of whether it's genetic predisposition or not does not mean it's not a sin. And what about sick people who are attracted to children in that way? :( If homosexual feelings are genetic then what about pedophilia? And if you defend genetic predisposition to it means it's okay where does that leave you concerning pedophiles?? Or how about beastiality?? So that whole genetic predisposition argument falls apart there. I believe it's nurture and not nature. The more people hear about it existing the more they entertain the thought and the more they begin to wonder if they can feel that way etc. Originally in the past, homosexuality was labelled as a mental illness, if anything I think it falls along in that area. Not genetic. In the past when homosexuals were afraid to admit to that feeling, those men used to have no problem marrying and having children, that right there proves it's not genetic since they could choose to perform with women when they had to. I believe it falls under a mental illness type category. Same thing with people who feel like they are trapped in the wrong sex body and desire sex change etc. That's all mental. The genetic signs people thing they might be seeing is more like the genetic signs they see in people with mental illness. So homosexuality and other messed up sexual attractions are types of illnesses like people with physical illnesses, God did not make illnesses, sin and death caused illnesses. Homosexuals should not be condemned by society any more than people with physical illnesses are condemned but it also should not be embraced as something positive, good or okay or normal. That's why being ill like that is not considered the sin but acting on it is. If someone has a mental illness making them feel like they want to kill someone all the time, it's not a sin until they actually do kill someone.

God would not put homosexuality on someone as a cross to bear, but they do have a way to not sin, they can either be celibate or marry the opposite sex. They don't have to be alone or go without sex if they don't want to, they can have sex with the opposite sex like they did in the past before homosexuality was open like today. It's not as if they can't have sex with the opposite sex.

[quote="WingsOfEagles, post:10, topic:322163"]
There is fallacy in this argument. They have found that the brain scans of murderers (esp. serial ones) indicate a predisposition to violence. However, murder is a sin, so under your argument, we can't be genetically predisposed to that behavior.

What's to say that God doesn't give some people homosexuality as their cross to bear. Perhaps, his plan for that person is to lead a religious single life. :shrug:

[/quote]

Pure unbiblical speculation, .....especially when St Paul teaches otherwise. To believe what you propose casts a shadow on our priesthood.

[quote="Joe_5859, post:8, topic:322163"]
What is your purpose in starting this thread? It seems destined to go poorly....

As ProdglArchitect said, being forbidden does not exclude the possibility that such an inclination could have a genetic component. Human nature was damaged in the Fall. There are all sorts of undesireable things that are geneitcally passed on.

Sorry, there is no "magic bullet" whereby we can completely dismiss the argument in one tweet-size phrase.

As I always say in these threads, I do not understand why we spend so much time debating whether SSA is genetic or not. It has no bearing whatsoever on the morality of the acts. All it usually does is irritate those with SSA who are adamant over the fact that they did not chose this inclination. What good does it do to help those who struggle come to Christ if we seem intent on being incendiary just for the sake of it?

[/quote]

Wow ....lets have a free-association free-for-all, 'buy-in'. Now, we can understand that the fall ....brought on DNA corruption, and caused a heritable, homosexual mutation. Oh great .....now it's God's fault ......he let Adam/Eve jinx us.

Except, mankind got a new start via righteous Noah. But, then ....Ham & sons, went off the deep end so quickly. So, obviously, God is a poor geneticist....by your reasoning.

Sin is in our genes… Not SSA specifically but sin in general. All sin (Original that is) is inherited. Now you might say ‘‘Baptism removes original sin!’’ Well we still live in a sinful world and with a sinful world comes temptation.

[quote="Skye_Ariel, post:11, topic:322163"]

God would not put homosexuality on someone as a cross to bear, but they do have a way to not sin, they can either be celibate or marry the opposite sex. They don't have to be alone or go without sex if they don't want to, they can have sex with the opposite sex like they did in the past before homosexuality was open like today. It's not as if they can't have sex with the opposite sex.

[/quote]

You don't believe God gives us all tests that are difficult in our lives? I would caution against arguing that they can marry someone of the opposite sex and have sex with them if they want to. This was done in the past only because it was socially unacceptable to follow their natural inclinations. Heterosexual sex for a homosexual is not an enjoyable thing. Now it could be argued that the friendship of having a spouse and having children to raise could be a distraction from their natural tendency.

[quote="mosinowner, post:14, topic:322163"]
Sin is in our genes..... Not SSA specifically but sin in general. All sin (Original that is) is inherited. Now you might say ''Baptism removes original sin!'' Well we still live in a sinful world and with a sinful world comes temptation.

[/quote]

Yes, but the Catholic babies had that sin removed upon infant Baptisms. The mutated genes were repaired .....so they should turn out OK, 100% heterosexual...;)

Not sure if that was suppose to be sarcasm. Catholics are as prone to sin as everyone else…

[quote="mosinowner, post:17, topic:322163"]
Not sure if that was suppose to be sarcasm. Catholics are as prone to sin as everyone else....

[/quote]

Exactly, the logic would be that a baptized Catholic baby wouldn't be prone to any sins.

[quote="WingsOfEagles, post:18, topic:322163"]
Exactly, the logic would be that a baptized Catholic baby wouldn't be prone to any sins.

[/quote]

Even Jesus experienced temptation. The difference between us and him is that he didn't give in to temptation. Living in a sinful world provides all with the opportunity to sin.

[quote="WingsOfEagles, post:15, topic:322163"]
You don't believe God gives us all tests that are difficult in our lives? I would caution against arguing that they can marry someone of the opposite sex and have sex with them if they want to. This was done in the past only because it was socially unacceptable to follow their natural inclinations. Heterosexual sex for a homosexual is not an enjoyable thing. Now it could be argued that the friendship of having a spouse and having children to raise could be a distraction from their natural tendency.

[/quote]

God does not tempt people to sin, so God would not put someone in a lifelong situation where they were constantly tempted to sin. People may have tests by things happening to them like with Job, but not a lifelong condition of perpetual temptation like that. Also if heterosexual sex was not enjoyable, then the men would not be able to perform at all. There has to be some enjoyment for the men to be able to function at all, especially well enough for the spouse to be surprised when he finally does come out of the closet after like 15yrs of marriage and 6 kids. Homosexuals like people to think it has to be same sex or nothing, that they can't get any kind of sexual enjoyment from heterosexual sex, but that's not true.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.