If God had angels, why did he create man?

Hi all;

I understand the purpose of Angels, and that they existed before man.

Do we know anything about why God created man, if Angels were already in existence?

Or, is it simply that God is creative. He wanted to create physical beings, to know and love him, where Angels are not physical beings?

Because He had an abundance of love to share. :love:

“My Jesus," said Sr. Benigna Consolata, "one would say that Thou canst not live without me. What is it that attracts Thee to my soul? Then hast thou not the angels? Dost Thou not find Thy happiness in Thyself?”
“My Benigna,” He answered, “… it is true, all this is true; but it is also true that I have a human Heart, and that I love men… I have told thee this already, but I tell thee again that thou mayst write it, My little Secretary of Love; then I will cause it to be read, that souls may believe in My excessive love; men are My brothers.”

Our Lord also said to her: "My Benigna, I thirst for the love of My creatures. The Seraphim love Me ardently, the saints love Me, and their love is pure and perfect. I have great love in Heaven, yet I come to earth to seek it because on earth their love is free.”

Because of love.

1.Genesis 1:26
Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”

Angels love Him though and they have intellect and the free will to choose to do so. They love Him freely just as we do.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.