If God left you alone would you notice

Suppose God decided to exit your life completely with no intervention at all (no listening to prayers or worship, no punishment, no interaction at all) Basically He just left you to whatever fate physics and randomness dictated. Similar to the deist belief. In that were to occur, would you notice? Would you notice God has abandoned you completely? If so, how could you tell?

1 Like

Well, I certainly notice when I leave God. My life is a total mess physically, emotionally, and spiritually. I’d imagine I’d have the same experience if it were possible for him to leave me.

14 Likes

Yep that’s a great way of putting it. I have been a bad lass the last few weeks and going to confession on Saturday and I feel cut off even though I know He’s there. I still feel able to pray but it’s The Holy Spirit convicting me that I need to start again

3 Likes

St. Alphonsus Mary of Liguori and other Church fathers says, that when God abaddons a Soul, he leaves him without remorse and repent and let the soul falling ‘freely’ into sin.

1 Like

God never leaves us alone. We move towards or away from God. We are never abandoned by God.

6 Likes

We must pray daily for obstinated sinners.

2 Likes

As God has promised “I will never leave you nor forsake you”, if my god abandoned me he would not be the one True God.

8 Likes

I wish that God would NOT leave me alone. I am ready to be in his company. :slight_smile: And I would definitely notice that.

1 Like

But this happens when a person deliberately refuses God and convertion, that’s why we must fight against sin and pray incessantly.
Mattew 11:12 “The Kingdom of Heaven is Forcefully advancing”

As you suppose, this question does indeed presuppose either a deistic universe or an atheistic one. But there are a few reasons for believing that either of those universes are the actual story. A ramification of the Thomistic arguments is that God continuously holds all things in existence. The analogy is that of the musician playing music where the universe is the music and God is the musician. The watchmaker analogy is the deistic vision, which is very likely to be false. So, the exiting of God from one’s life would entail the cessation of her existence. Being is proper to God alone, it could never be proper to anything whose nonexistent is possible, which would be every individual being within the universe.

5 Likes

Yes I see this. I think you would experience a complete and catastrophic loss of faith. Benson’s Mirror of Shallot short stories describe such

His ‘Lord of the World’ describes the apostate priest Fr Francis who accepts that ‘faith had been withdrawn’

Yeah, it’s not that the person doesn’t notice it is that the person doesn’t care at all.

2 Likes

Were God not to supply his conscious thought to everything in creation, it would cease to be.

3 Likes

Well, if St. John 1:1 (“In the beginning was Logos, and Logos was with God, and Logos was God.”) is to be taken into consideration, then no, I wouldn’t notice, because everything would cease to be were God to “leave [me] alone”…

However, if you mean in the sense of God leaving you to your own devices, then yes, I not only would notice, but have noticed every time I’ve strayed from Him. The absence of God in your life becomes incredibly obvious in those instances, and my is it a terrible feeling. Without fail, I come running right back to Him. The children of Israel in the Old Testament said as much every time they tried abandoning God - in doing so, you rebel against the very order of the universe, and that never ends well.

3 Likes

I can’t say I’ve ever felt like God’s ever been a part of my life. Even when I was religious. There was just this cosmic emptiness.

3 Likes

I can second this.

1 Like

Assume it for the thought experiment.

What does that have to do with the question posed?

If God left me, there would be no reason for me to be here on earth. I would likely just die.

Fortunately, I have trust that he will never leave me alone, even if I were to tell him to go away, which at this point I won’t.

1 Like

If God left you, you would stop existing.

4 Likes
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.