If God Loves Me Fallacy

I have a big issue with the whole “if I don’t have this, it must mean God doesn’t love me” fallacy, in that I can’t debunk it. Prayer rarely seems to help, possibly because I’m only trying to hear one answer. I know that God works in mysterious ways, but at some point, I can’t give up my own goals in life, and holding onto them only causes me a fair bit of pain and sin down the road. Does anyone have any tips for moving on and letting go of certain hopes and dreams? They are becoming a real roadblock with my relationship with God. :frowning:

You are caught up in materialism. Submit your will to Jesus, offer it up to Him. It is the greatest sacrifice you can make. Do this, and contemplate God’s Love and Mercy, and you will be a happy person.

Maybe I should’ve been clearer, but the things I was referencing were serving in the armed forces, and having a true loving relationship with someone. If thats materialistic, then I’m really confused! :stuck_out_tongue:

Submit your will to Jesus, offer it up to Him. It is the greatest sacrifice you can make. Do this, and contemplate God’s Love and Mercy, and you will be a happy person.

I agree with Eucharisted on this. I’ll give you an example of what I am actually going thru. Right now, my wife and I are living seperated within the home. She has filed for divorce and told me about a week ago that she plans on moving with her parents while the divorce is settled. I, of course, do not want this to happen. I would rather stay together and work out our differences for the sake of our marriage and our children. Unfortunately, she is very broken, emotionally and spiritually at the moment to even go to Church again. I pleaded with in the past for us to look for marriage counseling and to work things out, but she does not want to. This threw me into a depression that seemed endless. Then one day I decided to leave everything in God’s hands. It was very painful to say, “Let Your will be done Lord”. Evenutally the pain started to diminish. Now I pray to the Lord to have his will be done with my marraige, for better or worse. Of course, this does not mean that I do not wish for things to get better, and I pray for God to enter my wife’s heart. Now I have dedicated my life in becoming a better christian, and educating my children in the Faith. I know that if it is God’s will for us to remain together, then he will change things that need to be changed in order for us to begin repairing our marraige, till then, I will continue to pray. So basically, the best advice that I can give you is to pray to our Lord so He can do His will in your life.

I have a big issue with the whole “if I don’t have this, it must mean God doesn’t love me” fallacy, in that I can’t debunk it.

**Spoiled children frequently nag their parents with, “If you reallly loved me, you’d let me have so-and-so.”

Are the parents any less loving because the don’t fall for this?

And is God less loving than earthly parents?**

Maybe I should’ve been clearer, but the things I was referencing were serving in the armed forces, and having a true loving relationship with someone. If thats materialistic, then I’m really confused!

Don’t forget God’s timing, too. if you’re serving in the armed forces, this might well get in the way of married life for now.

Unless you are wandering around with no place to lay your head, scorned, spat upon, beaten, bleeding and dying for the faith you have it better that Christ Incarnate had in his days upon this earth.

The things of this earth serve primarily to distract us and keep us from focusing on God, from knowing him and what he wants. If he calls us to suffer poverty and affliction or to live in royalty we must do the will of God. All of the earth is simply the framework upon which we seek our salvation and the salvation of others.

True love, as manifest by Christ, is in denying the passions of oneself, ones own desires, what one thinks one deserves ( for who deserved things more than Christ ) and instead voluntarily serving others. Humbling and lowering ones self to the point of suffering and even dying for those who didn’t even respect him. He even died for Longorius, one of the centurions, the one who pierced his side. And as a result Longorius was saved.

This is the way past your dilemma. It can only be reached through prayer and suffering.

Read the Complete Works of St John of the Cross. Letting go of my hopes and dreams, and suffering tribulations taught me that the only thing worth living for is His Love, and letting go of them was my means to reach and find and experience that Love. He is my life and he finally got me to see that. That this world is of the earthly realm, and if I wanted to experience the spiritual in my soul, then I had to let go and allow Him to carry me to Heaven, and that is his Love, it is like no other, and worth the hardships, and definitely worth the letting go of my dreams and goals.

'It is not anyone who says to me, “Lord, Lord,” who will enter the kingdom of Heaven, but the person who does the will of my Father in heaven. Mat 7:21

Let go and let him help you fly and climb up the mountain because as you allow yourself to do so, trust me, it is like finding the love of your life, your other half, the wing that matches yours, the other side of the coin that makes you complete.

It is coming home and to do so, means to learn to let go, and at times embrace the unknown. And at times we will argue that we won’t move forward until he shows us what is on the other side. But the otherside is his Love and you will know in your heart, if you allow yourself to get there, that you’d give up everything you own to experience that Love and follow his will.

Letting go is worth it and so is the climb, as you let go more and more, your soul will climb more and more and become more purified. You will see how a cross is like the outstretched arms of an angel. As we learn to carry our crosses, he teaches us to spread our arms out like wings and fly. The top of the mountain is lovely. He is lovely.

This angel in the making is coming home to her main angel. Trust me, it is absolutely fabulous.

Thanks for the replies. It may not be what I want to hear, but its probably what I need to. Part of the problem is its a control issue; I feel an instinct/need to take ownership of my life and what I do before I go to God, and that is a deeply flawed idea, one that I’m still trying to work around.

I think the Holy Spirit does not like that … :wink:

My dear friend

I’ve been looking thru my diary for the first time. I’ve recorded a lot of stuff on here. It’s interesting to see a little bit from the past. I was looking for an old post about prayer from a while ago. I found it interesting to read what I’ve said. I’ve changed a lot from a few yrs ago but a lot of what I wrote is similiar to what I’d write now. The main difference is perhaps I’m a little older and hopefully wiser.
To try and answer your question I think it’s a good idea to try and make your hopes and dreams what God wants for you. God always wants what’s best for you too. I made my dreams much the same as what God wanted for me and although not yet realised I’m making progress. It really was interesting to see what I was like in 2004 and 2005 on here. My main ambition has always been to become a saint. I’m still young and have time God willing. Try not to worry too much. Just trust in God and always have the clause, " nevertheless not my will but thine be done." Then you can be sure your prayers will always be answered. At least Gods will, will be done.

God bless and peace to you:thumbsup::slight_smile:

All too often we pray for things that are not good for us, We forget that sometimes the answer to our prayers is “No” or “Not yet”. It could be that what we are asking for is not good for us.

The person who prays to win the lottery, may be asking for the very thing that would led him to damnation.

The child that gets everything that their heart desires often times ends up being spoiled silly. There are many cases where young sports stars become multi millionaires overnight and end up ruining their careers or their lives getting into trouble because they simply could not handle the instant success.

It may be that what you want is not good for your soul, or it may be that you are not ready to handle what you are asking for. When I was a teenager, I was a bit of a loner, nerdy, and unsophisticated to say the least, and it was difficult if not impossible for me to get dates. I prayed to meet some one special. BUT IF I had met some one early on, I definitely would not have been ready to carry on a successful relationship

It took time to develop some social skills, and eventually I did meet someone special. I can say almost without a doubt that IF I had met my wife several years sooner, she would have rejected my former self, and things would never have progressed to marriage, and a happy life together later.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.