If God showed himself, the world would be so different

More people would believe. There wouldn’t be any athiests. People would be happier, if only God would show himself, even if only a short while.

I know it’s crazy but the world would be so much better.

I’ve always wondered WHY God won’t show himself.

Just a thougnt.

I’m not directing this to you, just FYI

“A wicked and adulterous generation asks for a sign! But none will be given it except the sign of the prophet Jonah." Matthew 12:38

He did and we killed Him.

“He said, ‘Then I beg you, father, send him to my father’s house, for I have five brothers, so that he may warn them, lest they too come to this place of torment.’ But Abraham replied, ‘They have Moses and the prophets. Let them listen to them.’ He said, ‘Oh no, father Abraham, but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.’ Then Abraham said, ‘If they will not listen to Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded if someone should rise from the dead.’” -Lk 16:27-31

I think the same would be the case if God appeared in our world. Those who don’t want to know Him wouldn’t acknowledge Him and would continue to live as if He didn’t exist.

If God appeared in full Glory we would die for we are sinful.

The original parents were in a much closer state to God, but then sin occurred, which closed off the light of God from them and the world. Like a veil which covers the light of the sun, here we are.

But, God gives us His light at baptism, which brings us to life in His Church. We are brought from darkness to Light, and we are to bring this light to others all around the world.

In my opinion, the story of original sin would answer your question.

I beg to differ.
If it truly was better for the world then the (Christian) God would have done so already.
He hasn’t therefore either you are are mistaken or our God is not the caring one Jesus portrayed to us.

Your choice…

Nice thought, but remember the angels could see God, and still some rebelled.

If we just take what the Bible says about it- it wouldn’t make a big difference. God spent thousands of years with the Jewish people and their ancestors, and even though they had a unique relationship with Him, they still strayed and worshipped false gods.

He shows Himself 24/7 in the world He created. He shows Himself every time Mass is offered and at Adoration. He shows Himself in the lives and actions of those who follow Him and seek His will. He’s doing his job, are we?

First of all, how would God show himself to make everyone believe? If he physically showed up (which, by the way, God isn’t physical), some people would probably think they were dreaming, it was a hologram, or that they’d gone mad. Would God force people to believe? I believe that would be going against free will. I also believe that belief is an act of the will once our intellectual faculties are developed.

Second, even if everyone believed, that wouldn’t necessarily mean everyone would obey. The Jews in the Old Testament knew God existed, but they still disobeyed on many occassions in serious ways.

But He did and He told Phillip when you see Me you see God. He told them all who He was and they killed Him anyway. He still shows Himself through His Church, People, and Word and people still reject Him. When He comes again it isn’t to convince people of their need.

The beauty, wonder, and awe of nature shows us He is here now!

God showed himself to the world multiple times, most notably between the years ~4 B.C. and A.D. ~30.

Even though God clearly revealed himself, many (most) still rejected him.

God could instantly materialize in front of everyone in the world and spell out “I am God and the Catholic Church is True.”

Guess what would happen?

Not much.

Catholics would still be Catholics. Atheists would say it was a Government hoax, mass hallucinations, a super virus, or some other explanation.

Non-Catholic Christians would say it was the devil.

People would soon after forget. Nothing would change.

He shows Himself every day at Mass.

It’s our faith that is lacking.

Even Jesus told us about this in Luke, in His telling of the Rich Man, using the figure of Abraham.

“Then Abraham said, ‘If they will not listen to Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded if someone should rise from the dead.’””

God showed and shows Himself every day, and the world doesn’t believe or is “persuaded”.

If had to wake up every morning and witness absolute physical proof of the existence of God, I would be irritated, paranoid and I would demand answers to everything that goes wrong in my life and in the world.

My free will would also be so conflicted that I think I would lose my mind.

This raises a good point.
Look what happened to the angels who rebelled despite being so close to God.
They were not redeemed.

I honestly don’t understand your statement. God:

• showed Himself many times in ancient past;

• flooded the whole thing and cleansed the earth;

• helped an entire nation escape from the most powerful army in the world by peforming amazing miracles such as the plagues and the opening of the Red Sea;

• was present for hundreds of years in the tabernacle of Moses and in the temple of Solomon, (the latter was at the center of the trade route between Europe, Asia and Africa, i.e. the center of the world back then);

• walked among us as Jesus Christ, our Savior, and peformed many miracles, died and ressurrected;

• makes Himself present everytime a valid Mass happens.

Spiritually, God is with us, through the Holy Spirit. That is, to those who request him, as per Jesus’s promise.
If God showed himself in the way you describe, we would have no free will. For we would be forced to believe. True free will means having the option to reject God.

No “we” didn’t.

Oh, but we did! I know I, at least, did.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.