If I am scared of being intimate with a man; does that man I am called to the religious life?

This question has been troubling me for a while. I thought that I was called to be a nun because of the fear of intimacy with a man but after reading the Theology of Body I understand that is not the case. So, I am confused. Does it mean I am called to be a consecrated virgin?

Dear Friend,

I suggest that you get some psychological counseling to find our WHY you fear intimacy with a man. Fear is not a sign of a religious vocation. Such a problem is essentially a psychological matter. As St.Thomas Aquinas tells us, grace builds on nature. We are not to ignore our various forms of illness by escaping to the spiritual. (This is what the Christian Sience people do.) I know that this probably sounds scary to you. You have nothing to fear. Put your trust in God and make use of the gifts that He has given to us in the knowledge He has provided through the various fields of health providers. You are in our prayers.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.