If I divorce and live a celebate life can I be forgiven?

I was married in a civil ceremony 8 years ago.We have 5 children- all baptized.7 months ago i went to confession and was told I could not receive communion until my marriage was blessed.This isn’t possible because my husband is not a believer.I went back to confession and was told i could’t be forgiven until i had the marriage bessed and to pray for my husband’s conversion.I am still prohibited from receiving the sacrament.

If i divorce and live a celebate life can i be forgiven and receive Communion again?

If i choose to stay in the marriage & pray for conversion and a blessing of the marriage by the Church and i die before that happens will i be condemned to hell?

Am I considered ex-communicated?

Hi,

Woah, woah, woah! Let’s begin by dropping your suggested conclusions. Your husband does NOT have to convert in order for you to have your marriage blessed. If neither of you have been married before, it should be a very simple to thing to do. It doesn’t have to be a big public ceremony. The priest can receive your vows with just the two of you and two witnesses.

In order to receive Holy Communion you don’t have to divorce, but you do have to live in a celibate way. Hopefully this will only be until you have your marriage blessed. You are not excommunicated. You can contact me privately if you have further questions. You, your husband and children are in my prayers.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.