If I were a daycare owner

...(in-home daycare or childcare center, doesn't matter) and I was approached by a same-sex couple who wanted to enroll their child(ren) in my daycare, what should I as a Catholic Christian do?

I ask this question because I really want to own my own daycare in the near future. Is it better to enroll children from these situations (without expressing any support for same-sex unions/marriages) or would it be too much of a scandal to allow it?

Owning a daycare you are essentially caring/teaching this child. As a teacher am I supposed to say that I will not teach a child who has gay parents? Why should I think little of the child? It is the child's fault? If I owned my own daycare I would care for a child no matter what their home life is like.

If you haven't worked in a daycare/learning center, I will let you know that there are many kids who have hard lives at home. I worked at this one place that was state funded and most of the kids didn't have normal home lives. This one little boy was so excited that he was going to see his mom and dad. I assumed that they were gone on vacation or something. I later found out that he was being sent back to his parents. He was in foster care because both parents have a drug/domestic abuse problem.

There is no such thing as a perfect family and unless you decide for your daycare to be religiously oriented, you will have all kinds of people wanting you to watch their kids.

I would suggest for you to just accept the children as they come. Don't deny the children if the parents have chose to make this bad decision of same sex union.

If you are running a religious day care where you would tell the children religious stuff, I would recommend saying "no" because of morality. If you aren't running it based on your catholic belief, then I say go for it.

Blessings!

You will likely not have that choice to make, as it will be viewed as discriminatory to deny such access.

Thank you all for your responses. I'm sorry if my post came off sounding harsh towards those who are involved with same-sex relationships, or their children. I just didn't know what to think of it. :o I suppose it will be good, no matter what kind of family backgrounds the children have that they are in the care of someone who, although incredibly imperfect :blush:, is striving to serve God with her life. I hope I can set a good enough example of love for all the people (parents & children) I come in contact with.

I wonder then if the daycare would be able to say anything to the children about parents without the obligatory mention of gay parents as the government would want it to say. For example, would the government allow the daycare workers to mention "father and mother" without also mentioning "mother and mother" or "father and father" as the case may be? The slippery slope ends in only one place, total depravity. We have advanced from tolerating the sinner to tolerating the sin! What next? Tolerating the biggest sin? Sometimes I think our government is competing for the first inner ring of hell.

I haven’t had to deal with “father and father” or “mother and mother.” I have had to deal with children who live with grandparents or aunts and uncles. When I do my family section we discuss what makes up a family. Most kids will name their parents and their siblings. Some kids have mentioned that they have step-parents or living with family that isn’t their parents. I assure them that those who they live with and love them are their family. I think I would say the same thing to a little one who has a mom and mom or dad and dad. I’m not going to tell a 4 year old that their family is wrong or disordered. That would be cruel.

[quote="KendraDZ1902, post:2, topic:331003"]
Owning a daycare you are essentially caring/teaching this child. As a teacher am I supposed to say that I will not teach a child who has gay parents? Why should I think little of the child? It is the child's fault? If I owned my own daycare I would care for a child no matter what their home life is like.

If you haven't worked in a daycare/learning center, I will let you know that there are many kids who have hard lives at home. I worked at this one place that was state funded and most of the kids didn't have normal home lives. This one little boy was so excited that he was going to see his mom and dad. I assumed that they were gone on vacation or something. I later found out that he was being sent back to his parents. He was in foster care because both parents have a drug/domestic abuse problem.

There is no such thing as a perfect family and unless you decide for your daycare to be religiously oriented, you will have all kinds of people wanting you to watch their kids.

[/quote]

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

[quote="MadetoLove, post:1, topic:331003"]
...(in-home daycare or childcare center, doesn't matter) and I was approached by a same-sex couple who wanted to enroll their child(ren) in my daycare, what should I as a Catholic Christian do?

I ask this question because I really want to own my own daycare in the near future. Is it better to enroll children from these situations (without expressing any support for same-sex unions/marriages) or would it be too much of a scandal to allow it?

[/quote]

I would do the same thing you would do if a couple who have been divorced and "re-married" (that is, are living in adultery) approached you for child care for their children.

Would you have a problem with that, given that their parents are committing adultery?

[quote="KendraDZ1902, post:7, topic:331003"]
I haven't had to deal with "father and father" or "mother and mother." I have had to deal with children who live with grandparents or aunts and uncles. When I do my family section we discuss what makes up a family. Most kids will name their parents and their siblings. Some kids have mentioned that they have step-parents or living with family that isn't their parents. I assure them that those who they live with and love them are their family. I think I would say the same thing to a little one who has a mom and mom or dad and dad. I'm not going to tell a 4 year old that their family is wrong or disordered. That would be cruel.

[/quote]

I agree, but would the government preclude you from saying anything about regular parents without giving the same treatment of gay parents? What does your father do for a living, Johnnie? And what does your mother do? --would have to be followed by-- and what does your father do, Jeffrey? and what does your other father do, Jeffrey? Wouldn't that tend to normalize and legitimize gay marriage in the eyes of the children, even if that is not your intention? Wouldn't that tend to make you keep conversation entirely out of the area of parenthood? Am I overreacting?

[quote="MadetoLove, post:1, topic:331003"]

[/quote]

You're caring for the child, not gay-marrying the couple.

Also, if you want to uphold your Catholic values, would you also deny kids of couples who were married and divorced and are currently married to their second spouse whilst the original spouse is still living? What about children of cohabiting heterosexuals who are not married?

I don’t think that it would keep the conversation out of the area of parenthood. I haven’t had to deal with it yet, so I’m sure that I won’t have the majority of a class who’s parents are same sex. I don’t think the government would have to force me to treat gay parents the same way as I do straight parents. I’m not there for the parents, I teach to touch children’s lives. If that means that I have 2 moms for a parent/teacher conference then I do. On the first day when they drop off their kid, I will greet them like I do the rest of the parents. I want them to be comfortable with the fact that I will be with their kid 8 or so hours. No one asks the teacher her moral views. It isn’t the time or the place for it, either.

[quote="KendraDZ1902, post:12, topic:331003"]
I don't think that it would keep the conversation out of the area of parenthood. I haven't had to deal with it yet, so I'm sure that I won't have the majority of a class who's parents are same sex. I don't think the government would have to force me to treat gay parents the same way as I do straight parents. I'm not there for the parents, I teach to touch children's lives. If that means that I have 2 moms for a parent/teacher conference then I do. On the first day when they drop off their kid, I will greet them like I do the rest of the parents. I want them to be comfortable with the fact that I will be with their kid 8 or so hours. No one asks the teacher her moral views. It isn't the time or the place for it, either.

[/quote]

You will find in the end that the government [of progressives] WANTS you to talk about gay parenting to the children, so that no child will feel "out of place" with the other kids, much the same way that the government sets the agenda for sexual education today, ensuring that gay sex is not DISCRIMINATED against. The government is not neutral toward gay marriage and gay sex. Once its in the door, it wants to foster and nurture its pride and joy. You see, we're not talking about neutrality here, we're talking about a tenet of the government's espoused religion, SECULARISM. Plesae, no RELIGIOUS values allowed! Morality is a STATE-DETERMINED factor. Progressives do not want separation of religion and state, which is their constant false mantra, they want the wedding of their religion to the state, they want secularism to be a permanent and indissoluble feature of government. Hence, the will of the majority yields to the state in all cases. A nation of 99.99% Catholic will by default adopt atheistic values for its educational system.

If you think that secularism is not a religion how do you explain the fact that it goes about setting moral values. It tells us what is tolerance and what is intolerance. It tells us what is seemly, acceptable, normal, and legitimate behavior and what is not. It tells us what is bigotry and what is not. Do we discriminate? Secularism will decide. If a belief system that tells us how we ought to act and feel, and what is sin and what is not sin, is not a religion, I'd sure like to know what it is. If it walks like a duck... I say that we fight the government's attempt to adopt just one religion, secularism, by ensuring that all religions have a say in how our government operates. The constitution forbids the establishment of a religion by the state, NOT the influence of the various religions on government policy. Thre free practice of religion is being squelched by government when it accepts only one point of view.

[quote="JamesCaruso, post:13, topic:331003"]
You will find in the end that the government [of progressives] WANTS you to talk about gay parenting to the children, so that no child will feel "out of place" with the other kids, much the same way that the government sets the agenda for sexual education today, ensuring that gay sex is not DISCRIMINATED against. The government is not neutral toward gay marriage and gay sex. Once its in the door, it wants to foster and nurture its pride and joy. You see, we're not talking about neutrality here, we're talking about a tenet of the government's espoused religion, SECULARISM. Plesae, no RELIGIOUS values allowed! Morality is a STATE-DETERMINED factor. Progressives do not want separation of religion and state, which is their constant false mantra, they want the wedding of their religion to the state, they want secularism to be a permanent and indissoluble feature of government. Hence, the will of the majority yields to the state in all cases. A nation of 99.99% Catholic will by default adopt atheistic values for its educational system.

If you think that secularism is not a religion how do you explain the fact that it goes about setting moral values. It tells us what is tolerance and what is intolerance. It tells us what is seemly, acceptable, normal, and legitimate behavior and what is not. It tells us what is bigotry and what is not. Do we discriminate? Secularism will decide. If a belief system that tells us how we ought to act and feel, and what is sin and what is not sin, is not a religion, I'd sure like to know what it is. If it walks like a duck... I say that we fight the government's attempt to adopt just one religion, secularism, by ensuring that all religions have a say in how our government operates. The constitution forbids the establishment of a religion by the state, NOT the influence of the various religions on government policy. Thre free practice of religion is being squelched by government when it accepts only one point of view.

[/quote]

The government isn't going to change education to where all it talks about is family life. I have ONE week that we talk about family. Yes, children tell me what happens in there house. Having 2 parents of the same sex isn't grounds for me to report anything. I will not be ugly to a child. They didn't CHOOSE to have the parents they have. I didn't choose to have a father addicted to drugs. The government "adopting secularism as a religion" has nothing to do with nurturing and teaching children from all walks of life. If you don't want to teach all kinds of kids, then you shouldn't teach at all.

[quote="KendraDZ1902, post:14, topic:331003"]
The government isn't going to change education to where all it talks about is family life. I have ONE week that we talk about family. Yes, children tell me what happens in there house. Having 2 parents of the same sex isn't grounds for me to report anything. I will not be ugly to a child. They didn't CHOOSE to have the parents they have. I didn't choose to have a father addicted to drugs. The government "adopting secularism as a religion" has nothing to do with nurturing and teaching children from all walks of life. If you don't want to teach all kinds of kids, then you shouldn't teach at all.

[/quote]

I believe you're talking past me. What you are saying is not what I meant at all. We can drop it as you wish. Sorry you don't understand my meaning. It has nothing at all to do with wanting to teach all kinds of kids, but everything with what schools, maybe not yours in particular, will be required to teach to those kids. Peace.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.