If I were to investigate the priesthood

The main drawbacks that I would be terrified of, would be:

A) Not being accepted

B) Telling the quite bitter-towards-catholicism parents

C) Going through years of the seminary then being told 'You're not called'.

Anyone else who is discerning a vocation scared of these things?

Some time ago, I was. In a sense, it still lingers in the back of my mind. However, remember and get to grips with what a vocation really is. I mean, what it really, really is. How to do this is through prayer first and foremost, and then through reading and understanding. For me personally, reading the Gospels made me understand my vocation. Remember that we all have a vocation - married, single life, priesthood, religious life. The joy is finding out what God wants from you. This is what discernment is about. A vocation is “doing God’s will”. In an etymological sense, it is the “calling” of God.

What I am trying to say is this: I sincerely believe that if you are afraid, you must re-asses and ponder over your vocation and discernment. Christ brings joy, and peace. Which is not to say you won’t be nervous, apprehensive or slightly scared. But there exists an inner joy and peace which is what a vocation is actually bringing about: that state of the soul which is the never-ending “Yes!” to Jesus Christ. Do not be afraid. When you are discerning, I mean, really discerning, and when you understand a vocation, you understand that Christ is calling us and all we need to do is say yes and He will guide us. Not passively, mind you. He guides, and we, in joy and obediance, follow Him and do His will. So there isn’t discomfort or fear. There is only Christ. Complete and utter commitment to Christ in whatever He wants.

With this in mind…

A) Not being accepted

You might be, you might not be. Not the end of the world, but only the beginning if you are truly discerning God’s will. For me, I believe I am called to the religious life. If the Transalpine Redemptorists (F.Ss.R) don’t accept me, I will accept this perhaps not joyfully but gladly knowing that Christ wants me elsewhere where I can do better work for him.

B) Telling the quite bitter-towards-catholicism parents

I can relate to this. Trust your parents is my advice. Trust them to love you enough. And furthermore, pray to the Holy Family. Things will be fine.

C) Going through years of the seminary then being told ‘You’re not called’.

Praise God! Because if this happens, you will know that God is calling you elsewhere and you have an opportunity to serve Christ in the way that He truly wants you to serve Him.

I can relate to 2 out of 3. Parents, and not being accepted. But something happened today, after 3 years of my mom being against me going to Seminary, she finally said she is ok with it. So I am applying for next year, my sophomore year of college, Praise be to Jesus Christ.

It use to be that everytime I would mention it she would get so bitter. I am the only one in my family that goes to mass regularly.

I do believe it was the power of prayer through the rosary. I am in the middel of a 54 day novena Rosary and I just finished novena 2 out of 6 today.

Now the only question is will I be accepted.

But anyways just keep praying, if it is God’s will there will be a way

A and C are realy the same thing. If you are totally open at the beginning you will either be rejected rather quickly or be pretty sure you have a vocation.

Most of those who try it out and leave, leave in the first few years. I have heard very few stories of the superiors sending people home later. Some decide on their own to leave, or feel inspired in prayer that they are not called but that is totally different.

I have been studying 10 years (4 years of it in ministry) and almosy all those who left either in the first 2 years or in their first year doing ministry (I suspect this 2nd half is a little different for diocesan seminarians).

If you join a religious comunity, you have to take final vows first and if you are on the path to the priesthood, they would only accept you for final vows if they though with a little more school you’d make a good priest.

Hope it helps.

God bless.

In christ,
Br Matthew, LC

A) If you are not accepted, discern. They rejected you for a reason, ask them, and then focus on that. Is it something that you can improve on or change, or is it something fundamental which can't be? The latter means that you should seriously rethink your vocation.
B) At the end of the day, they are your parents. They will want you to be happy. However disappointed they are, time heals all wounds and they might eventually accept it.
C) There is a vocation (religious or otherwise) out there for everyone. We are meant to make mistakes, it is the only way we can learn. Before you enter the seminary, make sure you have a way of making your livelihood if it doesn't work out.

God has plans for you. Trust him. Whether you end up being a priest or not, He has a way of sorting everything out.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.