If in mortal sin, should we attend mass?

I recently saw this:

A person who is*** conscious of grave sin is not to celebrate Mass*** or receive the body of the Lord without previous sacramental confession unless there is a grave reason and there is no opportunity to confess; in this case the person is to remember the obligation to make an act of perfect contrition, which includes the resolution of confessing as soon as possible. (CIC 916)

Does this mean that if we are aware of a mortal sin on our souls, we should not attend mass? I thought that the Sunday obligation was there, mortal sin or not? I understand not partaking of the Eucharist, but now I’m wondering about mass attendance.

Thank you.

The part that states “not to celebrate Mass” refers to the priest or bishop, not the laity. A priest should not celebrate Mass (except for a grave reason) when he is in a state of mortal sin.

All Catholics have an obligation to attend Mass on Sundays and Holy Days of Obligation regardless of the state of their soul.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.