If it's beyond control, is it still a sin

Right now I can’t do my job, due to circumstances at work beyond my control. But I still have to be at work. Is doing something not my job, because I can’t do my job, a sin?

1 Like

Specifically, I deliver the commissary in a corrections facility. However the entire facility is on lockdown indefinitely, which means no commissary. I’ve done almost all non-delivery that I can. My supervisor has no issue. Maybe I am worrying too much.

1 Like

It’s not possible for you to do your normal job. People above you made that decision; you’re not deliberately skipping your job duties. Not a sin.

4 Likes

You likely are - if your supervisor is content with what you are doing then you are doing your job, even if it is different from your normal duties.

1 Like

I understand your concern Mike. I have A LOT of downtime at my current assignment and I often feel guilty about that. All that being said, my supervisor thinks I’m doing a great job and I get perfect scores when the end of the year reviews come around.

I think as long as you’re doing what your employer expects out of you, you should be good to go.

1 Like

Why would doing or not doing any part of your job a sin?

Some days I go to work with soul purpose of doing as little as possible.

1 Like

Obey your supervisor. If you are bored, sweep up, do some document shredding, there is likely another worker who could use a hand.

You just described my plans for today…:crazy_face:

1 Like

Not doing the job for which you are being paid is stealing. Stealing is a sin. That’s why.

1 Like

Do anything helpful to others that you work with. Also, spending time thinking of ways to improve how you do your job when you are able again would be a good use of downtime in my book.

I agree with you in general, but in the case of the OP, it’s not possible for him to do his job. It’s not his choice that he’s not fulfilling his regular duties. No sin.

1 Like

I have done a lot of the necessary prep work, but if I do too much space becomes an issue. Of course, new product arrives each Tuesday, even though I have more left to do for this week than I can get done the rest of today and all day Monday. So I will have to start again on Tuesday and absorb the old work into the new. Thankfully, nothing perishable is here, its just a matter of having enough space. I know I can do the job, its just the adjustment to these challenges that makes me anxious. Of course, if I couldn’t do the job, I wouldn’t still have it. The most annoying part is being patient when the inmates constantly complain and ask after their packages. I have to balance every inmate with every other inmate, while still keeping my boss happy and following the jail rules on security and safety. I will just continue to do my best. If an inmate complains, I usually either just tell them I am working on it, or else advise them to speak with the corrections facility leadership, if the problem is beyond my control.

1 Like

You worry too much. Think of it like a paid vacation.

For the last three years of my job (I am long retired now) I basically had nothing to do. I told my supervisor, and he said “I’ll find you a project.” He never did. I surfed the web, wrote e-mails, took two-hour lunches, even saw a couple movies. I showed up every day ready to work. Not my problem if they couldn’t manage properly!

1 Like

okay. I will just enjoy, and prepare for the next two weeks of catching up.

Never thought of it that way… in that case sometime Im a sinner, other times Im just tired.

So, now, I’m behind and slowly catching up. Since it was a facility wide security procedure, all will have to live with waiting for orders. I’ll just say I don’t know when commissary is going to be delivered if asked.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.