If Jesus came back tonight and FLEW, would you still doubt?

There are many accounts written thousands of years before Jesus of Indian and Tibetan holy men performing miracles like those of Jesus. Walking on water, feeding the people, etc. Read some of these ancient texts sometime. Not everything miraculous that happened is written in the New Testament.

He would need to make my heart feel the way it does when I am at Adoration. No person of this world can have this effect on me, not even my best friend, my wife. Jesus is not of this world though, and only He can set our hearts ablaze in this way.

This makes me think of Jesus appearing on the road to Emmaus:

Luke 24:13-32
13 That very day two of them were going to a village named Emmaus, about seven miles from Jerusalem,
14 and talking with each other about all these things that had happened.
15 While they were talking and discussing together, Jesus himself drew near and went with them.
16 But their eyes were kept from recognizing him.
17 And he said to them, “What is this conversation which you are holding with each other as you walk?” And they stood still, looking sad.
18 Then one of them, named Cleopas, answered him, "Are you the only visitor to Jerusalem who does not know the things that have happened there in these days?"
19 And he said to them, “What things?” And they said to him, "Concerning Jesus of Nazareth, who was a prophet mighty in deed and word before God and all the people,
20 and how our chief priests and rulers delivered him up to be condemned to death, and crucified him.
21 But we had hoped that he was the one to redeem Israel. Yes, and besides all this, it is now the third day since this happened.
22 Moreover, some women of our company amazed us. They were at the tomb early in the morning
23 and did not find his body; and they came back saying that they had even seen a vision of angels, who said that he was alive.
24 Some of those who were with us went to the tomb, and found it just as the women had said; but him they did not see."
25 And he said to them, "O foolish men, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken!
26 Was it not necessary that the Christ should suffer these things and enter into his glory?"
27 And beginning with Moses and all the prophets, he interpreted to them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.
28 So they drew near to the village to which they were going. He appeared to be going further,
29 but they constrained him, saying, “Stay with us, for it is toward evening and the day is now far spent.” So he went in to stay with them.
30 When he was at table with them, he took the bread and blessed, and broke it, and gave it to them.
31 And their eyes were opened and they recognized him; and he vanished out of their sight.
32 They said to each other, “Did not our hearts burn within us while he talked to us on the road, while he opened to us the scriptures?

If Jesus returned, I think He would reveal Himself to us at exactly the right time and in an undeniable way, just as he did on the road to Emmaus.

Please, enlighten me on these accounts.

And while you’re at it, give me a historical time frame, and specific populations that could have been used to verify at the time.

the problem with the majority of claims from Hindu and other eastern belief structures is that they are all mythic, i.e., they do not take place in a defined time frame, merely “long long ago.” They are not fixed in history, but rather are fluid legends that changed with time to suit the needs of a particular period.

The Bible is not like this. Apart from the very beginning of Genesis, (written in the form of histroic allegory), the Bible takes place in a very definite historical time frame. While it may seem ancient to us, at the time of writing these people were very much alive, and the accounts could easily be verified. That is specifically why the Gospel writers gave us specific names and places, they are written in the format of historical documentation, to be as easily verified as possible.

It’s true that anyone who could verify the accounts is long since dead to us, but as I pointed out in my post above, these were not stupid people. They did not simply believe anything some random Dick or Jane told them was true. The Christian Gospel presents extreme, outlandish claims that, had they been false, would have been incredibly easy to disprove, not least of which was the literal Resurrection of Christianity’s central figure. This is, again , a specific event set in a very well defined historical context, not some mythic event that happened in the long forgotten past like the Hindu religious texts.

Many rejected Jesus when he was alive, preaching, healing, performing miracles. Narrow is the gate. We all have a flesh and spriit war going on. We live in the flesh, aspire to the spirit. The flesh side of man - be that carnal, the will, literally flesh or even the mind, imagination, etc. is capable of rejecting Christ. That is Christianity 101. People don’t like the idea of sacrifice, least among us is the most, we are not of this world, love your enemies. In many ways it is a miserable, thankless, empty existence, from the standpoint of the flesh. I think many would continue to go to great lengths to run from that even if they talked to the risen Christ for an hour. Even many who officially are on board - officially being the key word there. It can be a successful self-delusion - faith, being devout, a sort of ritual. Every day is a battle with the devil. Inside. Outside the faith people are thankful Jesus is so hard to believe in - leave that cross right where it lay.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.