If Jesus is King, Does He Have a Royal Court?

Christians of all denominations like to say that Jesus is King, but doesn’t a king have a royal court? If so, who are His queen and royal steward?

Luke 1:31–33
And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus. He will be great, and will be called Son of the Most High; and the Lord God will give to him the throne of his father David, and he will reign over the house of Jacob forever; and of his kingdom there will be no end.

Jesus inherits David’s throne, and Mary becomes Queen Mother. Support for the principle of the Queen Mother in the House of David is found clearly in the following passages:

1 Kings 2:19
When Bathsheba went to King Solomon to speak to him for Adonijah, the king stood up to meet her, bowed down to her and sat down on his throne. He had a throne brought for the king’s mother, and she sat down at his right hand.

Since Solomon had MANY wives, none of them would be queen. In fact, it was his mother that sat on the throne. This idea is also evident in the book of Jeremiah:

Jeremiah 13:18
18 Say to the king and to the queen mother, “Come down from your thrones, for your glorious crowns will fall from your heads.”

From these two passages, we can see that the mother of the king held the title of Queen in the Davidic kingdom. We also know that Mary is the Queen of Heaven from the following:

Revelation 12:1-2
A great and wondrous sign appeared in heaven: a woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet and a crown of twelve stars on her head. She was pregnant and cried out in pain as she was about to give birth.

Since the writer goes on to say that the woman gave birth to a son who would rule the nations, we can conclude that the woman wearing the crown in heaven is the Mother of Jesus, Mary.

Additionally, Jesus establishes Peter as His royal steward for He gives to Peter “the keys of the kingdom of heaven”. This alludes to the prophecy of Isaiah that reads,

Isaiah 22:20-22
"In that day I will summon my servant, Eliakim son of Hilkiah. I will clothe him with your robe and fasten your sash around him and hand your authority over to him. He will be a father to those who live in Jerusalem and to the house of Judah. I will place on his shoulder the key to the house of David; what he opens no one can shut, and what he shuts no one can open.”

In ancient times, the king would choose a Royal Steward or prime minister who literally wore a large key as a symbol of his office and who spoke with the authority of the king. Jesus gives Peter the authority to speak in His name and extends his authority beyond the earthly realm when he gives Peter the “keys to the kingdom of heaven.”

Excellent point!

“And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean. And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God. And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS” Revelation 19:14-16

The angels, the elders, the four beasts, & people in heaven. (Rev. 19:1, 4) They are His royal court. IMHO.

His Blessed Mother…

And who is His queen?

And who is the royal steward left in charge of His church here on earth while the king is away?

I have to admit, all the best apologists are protestant converts.:slight_smile: Nice post Randy. :thumbsup:

Compelling evidence.

My video, Queen Mary:
youtube.com/watch?v=9JVJ1TMxLlc

And Good Christians as well, it was the Holy Spirit that lead the Home. Perhaps you to will follow in their footsteps?

Ufam Tobie

She is indeed Queen Mother, and Scripture states:

the king arose to meet her, bowed before her, and sat on his throne;
then he had a throne set for the king’s mother, and she sat on his right.

Kings’ daughters among thy honourable women:
upon thy right hand stands the queen in gold of Ophir.

The bride, a princess, looks glorious in her golden gown. In embroidered garments she is presented to the king.

In embroidered garments she is led to the king; her virgin companions follow her-- those brought to be with her.

What a joyful and enthusiastic procession as they enter the king’s palace!

There are …] virgins without number.
My dove, my perfect one, is the only one,
the only one of her mother,
pure to her who bore her.

Who is this who looks down like the dawn,
beautiful as the moon, bright as the sun,
majestic as the stars in procession?

As for the keys, also right!

And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.

I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.

In that day I will call my servant Eliakim the son of Hilkiah, I will dress him in your royal robes and will give him your title and your authority.

And he will be a father to the people of Jerusalem and Judah.

And I will place on his shoulder the key of the house of David.

He shall open, and none shall shut; and he shall shut, and none shall open.

And I will fasten him like a peg in a secure place, and he will become a throne of honor to his father’s house.

All the glory of his family will hang on him.

Some of it was quoted already - repetita iuvant :thumbsup:

I’d say that the Court is comprised of the angelic realms (cum Angelis et Archangelis, cum Thronis et Dominationibus, cumque omni militia caelestis exercitus) and of the Church Triumphant - the members of the Communion of Saints before the Beatific Vision.

I’d argue that the Lord’s court extends to the entire Communion of Saints - the Church Penitent in its longing for the Vision, and in the Church Militant in its life and especially in Holy Mass and Adoration. In fact, St. Peter Julian Eymard wonderfully stated once:

The adoration of Jesus in the Most Blessed Sacrament is the end of the Church Militant, just as adoration of God in His glory is the end of the Church Triumphant. A holy rivalry, a concert of prayer, a harmony of divine service should exist between the heavenly court and the Eucharistic court here below.

:tiphat:

Most of His heavenly court is probably populated my angels. Of course Mary does have a very high place, being Queen and all. The prophets Moses, Elijah, and Enoch probably also are extremely high esteemed as well.

I think of the Pope as more of the earthly steward not the heavenly steward. He’s on earth, not in heaven, so he plays a role in God’s earthly court. Actually, I’m probably getting my head all caught up in semantics right now. Whatever spot, the Pope IS a part of God’s court.

You’re on the right track. The royal steward watched over things on behalf of the king when he was out of town. So, Jesus has left earth and returned to heaven (as God He is omnipresent, of course), but he left a visible steward in charge of His church while we are still separated from Him physically.

At the second coming, those on earth and those in heaven will be united, and the Pope can simply hand Jesus back the keys because he won’t need them anymore. :thumbsup:

Sometimes a metaphor is just a metaphor. After all, He’s also the true vine, so shouldn’t He have branches? He’s the Lamb of God, so shouldn’t He have a woolly fleece? Not every figure of speech the Lord employed has to be taken literally…

Except that Jesus isn’t really a vine, and he’s not really a sheep.

He is, however, really a king.

So, there. :thumbsup:

Jesus is refered to as King of kings and Lord of lords on Earth when He returns and rules. Should He desire for His mother to sit near Him would be lovely but we just do not know if this is to be.

In heaven all we know is that Jesus sits at the right hand of His Father. Right now the Holy Spirit is on Earth. We know that there are 24 elders that sit before God’s Throne. Twelve from the Old testament period and eleven apostles and Paul . That seems to me to be liken to a royal court.

We do not know where Mary is. However, it is reasonable that there is some recognition because of crowns given, Hers will be quite something I believe. But I doubt she sits next to the Father and His Son where His being on the right side is so intimate it cannot be translated into human language.

How come you believe that Jesus sits at the right hand of His Father, but do not believe He is King of kings and Lord of lords on that throne, in heaven sitting on the throne of his father David (allegory type vs antitype). And that He will only be King of kings and Lord of lords in an earthly future realm, but not heavenly?

When Jesus enters His kingdom who will sit on the left and the right? Did Jesus respond, well nobody is. No. Well Jesus Christ has entered His kingdom, and that kingdom is real now, He is King of kings and Lord of lords, and someone is sitting on the left and another on the right. One of them I believe is Mary, the other I think is the one who had the keys.

Now I did not say that Jesus is not King Jesus in Heaven. Sorry if that is how it was read. King of kings and Lord of lords is the title that every mouth shall proclaim. Why? because during His rule every king (i.e. leaders of every nation) must come to Him in Jerusalem every year to bow down. Thus, He is King of kings and Lord of lords.

As for heaven, of course He is King, but The Father is King.And since Jesus sits at the Father’s right Hand, the Father is the Head. Since there is no mention of Mary being seated at the Father’s left Hand, I will not presume that. It doesn’t even say that the Holy Spirit sits at the left, which seems likely, since He is part of the Trinity. IMHO,putting Mary at the Throne of God elevates her to a position that becomes too close to the Trinity.

Now. God may be pleased to do so, He is after all God.It would seem to me , since she is the spouse of the Holy Spirit, she would be next to the Holy Spirit, should it please Him. But all of this is mere speculation and a desire on your part. However, there is absolutly nothing in Holy Scripture on this subject.

Not everyone outside of the catholic church entertains the idea that the Book of the Revelation of Jesus Christ is allegory. If one believes that Jesus had to fulfill every single prophecy about His First Coming, then one must accept that everything Written about His Second Coming must be fulfilled to the jot and tittle. Otherwise, it is not the TRUTH.

But, of course, that is just my mindset.I know that your heart is set towards the truth also. Whatever God has decided will probably surprise us both. And we shall be pleased with it.

Since God is Spirit, and spirit does not occupy space, there really is no right or left in heaven.

But whatever.

But yet there is a Throne and someone sits upon it and yet there is someone sitting on the right Who does have a body.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.