If Jesus said ...

Give me a sacrifice for the Passover” to someone in current post-Resurrection times, would do you think that would mean?

thnx

depends on how you are using the term “Passover”

But I’m not using the term “Passover”.

My question was what would Jesus mean when using the term “Give me a sacrifice for the Passover” to someone in modern post-Resurrection times.

What would be the theological/spiritual implications of such a statement …

“If” is an illusion, it doesn’t exist.

So, the question you’re asking, is not what Jesus would ask, but rather, what you’re asking.

Jim

Acting in a prudent manner, I chose to use “if” in my question.

But for reasons I will not disclose, your thoughts as to how my question was proposed shall kindly be left unanswered.

So once again, has no one here on these forums any thoughts as to the original question?

Perhaps a total fast on Good Friday

Thanks for your reply Spirithound!:slight_smile:

Something to think about …

Any one else?

I would want to be sure he said the word “a” instead of “as”. That one letter added could change the whole thing. “Give me, as sacrifice for the Passover.”

I don’t know what if. If the Lord actually said that to me, I would ask Him what He meant or what to do:p .

I’m quite curious as to why you ask though.

It definitely was an “a”, spoken in one sentence and without any noticeable pause.

As to the reason, better judgment suggests that no more is said in that regard.

I really thank you for your thoughts/questions though.

First, I’m not very sure about any of what I am about to say, so please feel free to correct anything I may be misunderstanding.

I was thinking though, isn’t Jesus the perfect, and final passover sacrifice? In that case, we shouldn’t be offering anymore passover sacrifices. Of course I suppose the Lord could do whatever he pleases.

Anyways, those were just some more thoughts I had while considering this.:slight_smile:

Make certain it is Jesus, and not some illusion.
If it is Jesus, and He did not specify the nature of the sacrifice, then I would say some act of charity towards others, that costs you significantly. Or an act of self-denial such as fasting.

As for the meaning of the word
"Passover" I would expect it means the Easter season, Good Friday to Easter Sunday in particular.

If you or a friend have had some kind of private divine revelation, then I think the standard practice is to discuss such matters with your bishop.

I am thrown by the idea of Jesus appearing to someone as an apparition. I am assuming you are not talking about the second coming.

Our appropriate living sacrifice is that of our bodies, or perhaps you could say living holy lives, not being conformed to this world, praising God. However, I generally would think of a sacrifice as offered through Jesus to the Father (I know, Trinity and all, but still, there is often an order to these things). Like sharing in the priesthood of Christ. All our sacrifices are joined up at mass together with Christ. The kinds of sacrifices I mean are those most people might think of when Jesus says to take up your cross and follow him.

I can’t find what I want in the CCC to explain, but this hints at it from CCC 1460

The satisfaction that we make for our sins, however, is not so much ours as though it were not done through Jesus Christ. We who can do nothing ourselves, as if just by ourselves, can do all things with the cooperation of “him who strengthens” us. Thus man has nothing of which to boast, but all our boasting is in Christ . . . in whom we make satisfaction by bringing forth “fruits that befit repentance.” These fruits have their efficacy from him, by him they are offered to the Father, and through him they are accepted by the Father.

Oh. I found something else.

1368 The Eucharist is also the sacrifice of the Church. The Church which is the Body of Christ participates in the offering of her Head. With him, she herself is offered whole and entire. She unites herself to his intercession with the Father for all men. In the Eucharist the sacrifice of Christ becomes also the sacrifice of the members of his Body. The lives of the faithful, their praise, sufferings, prayer, and work, are united with those of Christ and with his total offering, and so acquire a new value. Christ’s sacrifice present on the altar makes it possible for all generations of Christians to be united with his offering.

Though none of this seems quite right, since I doubt when speaking to me he would use the word “passover” to mean this. This is triggered more by the word sacrifice. Christ is our Pasch.

Dear friends,

The responses that I have recieved here thus far have been incredibly helpful.

You people are great.:slight_smile:

I am very, very sorry that I can not elaborate further as to the nature of the request. Suffice it to say that I am a sinner, as are all of us.

And that I’m not crazy (at least I don’t think so - well, maybe a little bit!).

PEACE

Shouldn’t you discuss this with your confessor/Priest first? What constitutes a private divine revelation worthy to bring in to a Bishops attention? Tim

The scene of this encounter is confusing without any additional details, but here I go:

If it was a general request, like to the Apostles before the Last Supper, I would personally offer back to God the Eucharist at Mass and in Communion.

If it was extremely personal and direct, as in a specific directive, I may be looking inward at some kind of a vocation? Priesthood, to offer His Eucharistic Sacrifice (Pascal = Passover) on Earth.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Yeah, you’re probably right.

I would immediately think not of holocausts and burnt offerings, but a pure contrite heart as the sacrifice requested, and assume that I am being reminded if I want eternal life I must take up my cross and walk with Christ.

I would promptly recite, with feeling, Psalm 51, substituting the word “lust” for “blood”, and dropping the last two verses which were added on at a later date:bible1:

^^^ (gulp)

I think your observation is really honing in on what He truly meant.

This because, it is the one single statement thus far that has actually pinpointed what I have been personally experiencing.

Anyone care to try and draw out more from what puzzleannie has said?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.