If Judaism was never true..

Do christians have any reason to believe Judaism was true? What are they?

Jesus.

What would your reasons be if you were examining everything prior to the appearance of Jesus?

It is true because Christian’s origin is Jewish. It use to be a Jewish sect which split off.

Because the promises God made to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob were fulfilled in Christ.

I have to confess that if I had been brought up a pagan before Christ, I wouldn’t have given Judaism a second thought, but then the Jews weren’t really into evangelizing–not when their faith system was based on family connections (they had few Gentile converts). Jesus redefined that family connection to include all men–it was the mission he sent his Apostles out to do. So, without Christ we probably wouldn’t have put any stock in Judaism as it was practiced before Christ.

You see, Judaism, Christianity and Islam are all historically based religions. No others that I know of were/are. They were all strictly mythology based religions–generally localized deities, which is one reason, I suppose Hinduism, for example, isn’t making many inroads outside of the areas in which it first arose.

The second paragraph you wrote is about what I guessed I would say if I were a christian.

I’m not sure about the accuracy of the first paragraph, but I can see why christians believe that.

So why didn’t God just start out with christianity right from the start? Why if he knew there would be so many less people raised in the “right” religion? Or even one that a person would be drawn to? This is never going to add up to me.

I don’t want to sound uncharitable, but this sounds circular.:o

Why didn’t God start out with Christianity? We can only surmise from what has been revealed to us. God tells us why he does what he does as he sees fit, so we can’t always determine his whole purpose.

Having said that, Paul makes reference in his Epistles again and again to Christ’s coming as being at the right time for it. Also, he makes reference to how God revealed himself before Christ: Heb.1[1] In many and various ways God spoke of old to our fathers by the prophets;[2] but in these last days he has spoken to us by a Son, whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world. What we can surmise from this and other such references is that God revealed himself to various persons, showing aspects of himself to them, down through the ages in order to prepare mankind for Christ who would show the fullness of God to us.

Now, I’m not telling you this to try to get you to read the Bible, it’s truly the only source we have that can give us any idea why God revealed himself as he did before Christ. His plan seems to have been to choose a man–Abraham, to be the father of a nation that would “bless the world” whose children would outnumber the sands of the shore/the stars of heaven (not literal numbers, but metaphors for millions, perhaps billions of people). God started out small by doing this–a method he often seems to choose. I give you several biblical examples here, but I don’t want to be tedious.

God does things that confound the “wise” and which are easy for the simple to see. And yet, his depths of wisdom cannot be understood. It’s a paradox–something God is also very good at giving us. One might say it’s a balance of power and weakness, of small and great. Like the simplicity of a virgin conceiving, and giving birth in a stable. We’d no doubt do things very differently, but that’s what makes God God and us, his creatures so very different in how we think. I hope that helps rather than confuses you. :slight_smile:

God in the bible says in the Abrahamic covenant that Abraham and his decendents are God’s chosen and are not to be denegrated. Gen 12

To learn about Judaism go to www.jewfaq.org

Judaism was the true faith until Jesus came along. God made a covenant with the Jews and called them His chosen people. God Himself said that Judaism was true!

Jesus came to FULFILL Judaism. The only reason a whole new religion got started out of it was that so many Jews rejected Jesus as the Messiah. Christianity became the fulfilled Judaism, the true faith. The Jews who rejected Jesus chose to keep waiting for the Messiah, and are still waiting.

So I guess you could say Judaism is still true, in that we are the direct descendants of the Jews and represent Jesus’ fulfillment and kept promise to the Jews. Our liturgical form of worship is even based on Jewish temple worship! :thumbsup:

Well, in the first place we have the eyewitness of the Jews. Then we have the eyewitness of Christians. But for us who have not seen, the proof is in the prophecies - when seen through the eyes of faith. The bottom line is that if you want to believe then you will, because God has given us more proof than we could rightly ask for; and you will sincerely seek the truth, and you will find it…

“Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” - Jesus Christ (John 8:32)

But it is only the Holy Spirit who can reveal the truth of God to you. And the surest way to find the Son is by following His mother.

In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, Your well beloved spouse.

Holy Spirit,
we ask for an outpouring of your graces, blessings and gifts,
upon those who do not believe, that they may believe;
Upon those who are doubtful or confused, that they may understand;
Upon those who are lukewarm or indifferent, that they may be transformed;
Upon those who are constantly living in the state of sin, that they may be converted;
Upon those who are weak, that they may be strengthened;
Upon those who are holy, that they may persevere.

In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

Isaiah 53 (NIV)

1 Who has believed our message
and to whom has the arm of the LORD been revealed?

2 He grew up before him like a tender shoot,
and like a root out of dry ground.
He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him,
nothing in his appearance that we should desire him.

3 He was despised and rejected by men,
a man of sorrows, and familiar with suffering.
Like one from whom men hide their faces
he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

4 Surely he took up our infirmities
and carried our sorrows,
yet we considered him stricken by God,
smitten by him, and afflicted.

5 But he was pierced for our transgressions,
he was crushed for our iniquities;
the punishment that brought us peace was upon him,
and by his wounds we are healed.

6 We all, like sheep, have gone astray,
each of us has turned to his own way;
and the LORD has laid on him
the iniquity of us all.

7 He was oppressed and afflicted,
yet he did not open his mouth;
he was led like a lamb to the slaughter,
and as a sheep before her shearers is silent,
so he did not open his mouth.

8 By oppression [a] and judgment he was taken away.
And who can speak of his descendants?
For he was cut off from the land of the living;
for the transgression of my people he was stricken. **

9 He was assigned a grave with the wicked,
and with the rich in his death,
though he had done no violence,
nor was any deceit in his mouth.

10 Yet it was the LORD’s will to crush him and cause him to suffer,
and though the LORD makes [c] his life a guilt offering,
he will see his offspring and prolong his days,
and the will of the LORD will prosper in his hand.

11 After the suffering of his soul,
he will see the light of life [d] and be satisfied [e] ;
by his knowledge [f] my righteous servant will justify many,
and he will bear their iniquities.

12 Therefore I will give him a portion among the great, [g]
and he will divide the spoils with the strong, [h]
because he poured out his life unto death,
and was numbered with the transgressors.
For he bore the sin of many,
and made intercession for the transgressors.**

All Christians agree on 66 books of the Bible. Thirty-seven of the Books were written by Jewish people.

BTW, Jesus was Jewish. Do you think if Jewishness was wrong Jesus would have been one?

[quote=StrawberryJam;5455743
]

Become a Christian and one day you’ll be able to ask God for yourself. God’s ways are not our ways.
[/quote]

Cautionary note: the webmaster makes several blunders about Christianity. For example, he confuses Catholicism and Jehovah Witnesses on the page about God’s Name.

Moses.

Moses never made it to the promised land right? Really, I am trying to believe. I’ve been to a ton of masses because I am told Jesus is really there. So, if he is really there, I figured it would, something would happen there. Maybe his knowing I was going there to know, something. Anything.

But, nothing.:frowning:

Did you know that patience is a virtue? :slight_smile: Relax, keep seeking, but don’t ask for a sign. God will give you a sign, if necessary, but don’t ask - leave it in His hands. Maybe God is trying to teach you patience. Maybe He wants you to fully appreciate what He is preparing to give you. You’ll figure it out in hindsight. But one thing is certain, if you keep sincerely seeking Him you will find Him. God bless.

[quote=Della;] They were all strictly mythology based religions–generally localized deities, which is one reason, I suppose Hinduism, for example, isn’t making many inroads outside of the areas in which it first arose.
[/quote]

For starters, Hinduism is composed of at least four mutually exclusive belief systems,
If one considers those four belief systems to be one religion,
Secondly, some branches of Hinduism have made tremendous inroads throughout the world.
Thirdly, Hinduism is tied with Islam in terms of the number of adherents worldwide.

jonathon

I only meant to give an example of a religious belief system that is not historically based. But, thank you for the information just the same. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.