If laws don't lead people to Jesus, they are obsolete, pope says

VATICAN CITY (CNS) – God’s laws are meant to lead all people to Christ and his glory, and if they do not, then they are obsolete, Pope Francis said in a morning homily.

In fact, the scholars of the law in Jesus’ day were so wrapped up in doctrine as an end in itself, they were unable to see that Jesus was leading people down a new and surprising path toward his glory, the pope said Oct. 13 during his morning Mass in the Domus Sanctae Marthae, where he lives.

Jesus did “strange things,” like “walk with sinners, eat with tax collectors” – things the scholars of the law “did not like; doctrine was in danger, that doctrine of the law” that they and the “theologians had created over the centuries,” he said, according to Vatican Radio.

The scholars were safeguarding the law “out of love, to be faithful to God,” the pope said, but “they were closed up right there,” and forgot all the ways God has acted in history.

“They forgot that God is the God of the law, but is also the God of surprises,” he said.

“God is always new; he never denies himself, he never says that what he had said is wrong, but he always surprises us,” the pope said.

catholicnews.com/data/stories/cns/1404223.htm

Reminded me of Law school, when we had so many debates regarding Natural Law and Positivism :smiley:
I would bet Francis is well versed in iusnaturalism.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank God for Pope Francis.:):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Ditto :thumbsup:

What Church laws don’t lead people to Jesus?

I can understand government laws which allow women to abort their kids.

Of course it isn’t just religious laws that frequently “don’t lead people to Jesus” and thus are “obsolete” - secular laws (and here I’m thinking of “no-fault” divorce) can lead people away from Jesus by going against His clear teachings on the permanence of marriage.

Also, as I’m sure the Holy Father would agree with, Jesus has a power to reinterpret the old laws that we, including the pope himself, do not share. If Jesus wanted people to divorce and remarry, He’d have let people continue to do so.

But, then again, maybe the synod is more on my mind than on Francis’. :shrug:

Very Good! The Holy Father was reaffirming the word of Christ saying he did not come to abolish the law, but to fulfill it, and reminding us that God’s law does, indeed point to Jesus Christ, and is not obsolete.

Pope Francis urged people to pray to be able to walk “toward maturity, toward the manifestation of the glory of the Lord” and to have a heart “that loves the law, because the law is God’s.”

But may people also be able to “love God’s surprises and to know that this holy law is not an end in itself,” he said.

This last part helped to make Pope Francis’ meaning a little easier for me to understand.

Little question here: the pharisees had made up a labyrinth of rules that in many cases undermined the laws of God, as Christ said, mentioning the Corba law which undermined a man’s obligation to honour his parents.

Fine, but how do God’s laws not lead people to Christ? Are these the Pope’s words or a journalist’s gloss?

This has certainly been an evening of surprises, I don’t deny that.

God’s laws are never obsolete, they are eternal.

Who can say God’s laws no longer matter? People have free will to reject the Truth. Just because they do, does not make the law or teaching they are rejecting, obsolete.

I’m thinking he just rephrased St Paul in 1 Corinthians 13:2

And if I should have prophecy and should know all mysteries, and all knowledge, and if I should have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.

This is how I’m going to take it to mean.

Which laws is the Pope talking about? The 10 Commandments? Church laws about the prohibition of ABC which a large majority are not following?

You can listen to parts of the homily here:
en.radiovaticana.va/news/2014/10/13/pope_at_santa_marta_holy_law_is_not_an_end_in_itself/1108446

The transcript of the homily will be posted here:
w2.vatican.va/content/francesco/en/homilies/2014/index.html#homilies

x3! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

This verse keeps ringing in my head.

Galatians 1:8
But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let them be under God’s curse!

Am I overreacting? What does the Pope mean? When does that quote from St. Paul become applicable?

Y’all seem to support what Pope Francis said So can you explain what what he said means? Because I don’t understand it…

Thanks

(Sorry Ora et Labora, I had to remove one of your thumbsup signs because I had exceeded the limit : ( )

How did you reach this conclusion? (Can you tell I totally didn’t get what was going on?)

You can always spell it out but good point about thumbing up what you have no knowledge about. Maybe MSNBC knows. (smile)

Thats what I thought.They are either Gods laws or they arent.

satan??? Adam and Eve??? A wicked and adulterous generation??? :shrug:

Me either

Good question

Beats me. :confused:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.