If Mary could be conceived without sin, why not we?

Hi and thanks for reading,
I am having questions on the Immaculate Conception. If Mary was absolved, by the Passion of Jesus, of original sin at the moment of her conception, then why didn’t God do this with the rest of humanity?
I understand that the Immaculate Conception does not make Mary [insert comparison to Deity], and I understand that Mary is still saved by the Passion, and I understand that it makes sense for Jesus’ mother to be pure of any sin. My question is, what is the point of original sin anyway, if God thought it would be appropriate to make someone without it? Why is anyone conceived with original sin, if clearly it makes you more likely to sin, and God apparently - given his Passion - can make you without it?

Dear Friend,

While the fall makes it easier for us to sin, it also makes it possible to become holier than we ever could if we weren’t so easily tempted. So actually it is to our advantage that we are weak. As Our Lord said of the woman who was a sinner, “her many sins are forgiven, for she loved much; but he who is forgiven little, loves little” Luke 7: 47).

Mary, of course, had to be free of original sin because she was to be the place where the Word would be made flesh.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.