If Mary is the Mediatrix of All Graces...

So if Mary is the Mediatrix of All Graces, then what’s the point of asking other saints for intercession?

Asked this question to the apologists but I believe it hasn’t been answered

That is not a Church approved title. Regardless, why not ask for the intercession of others?

I had a similar question with similar logic.

One answer I received was this: Going to the saints is like when we ask someone else to pray for us on earth, only they are in heaven and they are close to God.

This question recently came up in my little Monday Bible study group. I explained it this way: I am Consecrated to Jesus through Mary according to the Montfort formula and follow that spirituality. This means that I do all things through Mary, with Mary, in Mary and by Mary. So she for me, is the Mediatrix of all Graces. I gave my will over to hers for her intercession in my life for the rest of my life. It is through her that I obtain the Son. This is a personal choice. One I made of my own free will and it is a choice that cannot be made for me by another.

I do not believe that the title Mediatrix of all Graces can be dogmatically given to her. That is a matter of theology that is beyond my ability to succinctly explain, but my instinct says it cannot be for everyone. It can only be for those who will it.

That being said, the help of other Saints in my life isn’t excluded at all. In fact, I have received graces and helps when praying to specific Saints besides Mary. How can that be since she has become the Meditrix of all Graces for me? Well, my request goes through her. That means she has a hand in all things I ask for in prayer. It is as if she is the filter through which all my thoughts, prayers and actions flow into Heaven. And my confidence in her ability to obtain all that is best for me from her Divine Son is the result of knowing her in my life. So, when Glenda asks St. Pio for help, his Mother and mine work together to obtain from her Son, my Father what is best for me. Simply put Heaven hears me much better when God’s own Mother is my help.

Hope this helps you understand it.

Glenda

P.S. Having done some research on the Title, I don’t think it will ever be dogmatically obtained or defined for the Universal Church though sentiment has moved more than one person in recent history to brooch the subject and thusly caused a great debate that is still going on. That process has turned many hearts back to Mary and will be one of the reasons St. John Paul II is eventually given the name “the Great.”

Perspective…

google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCcQFjAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ewtn.com%2Ffaith%2Fteachings%2Fmarya4.htm&ei=zHy-U8vZDMWL8QHZ2oHoCg&usg=AFQjCNHPgo8vRKQ_mq7Bjcx97L2TMLDpYQ

In my mind this is dogma just not promulgated. The thinking is consistent historically.

vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p123a9p6.htm

. . . she is our Mother in the order of grace

967 By her complete adherence to the Father’s will, to his Son’s redemptive work, and to every prompting of the Holy Spirit, the Virgin Mary is the Church’s model of faith and charity. Thus she is a “preeminent and . . . wholly unique member of the Church”; indeed, she is the “exemplary realization” (typus)510 of the Church.

968 Her role in relation to the Church and to all humanity goes still further. “In a wholly singular way she cooperated by her obedience, faith, hope, and burning charity in the Savior’s work of restoring supernatural life to souls. For this reason **she is a mother to us in the order of grace.”**511

969 “**This motherhood of Mary in the order of grace continues uninterruptedly **from the consent which she loyally gave at the Annunciation and which she sustained without wavering beneath the cross, until the eternal fulfillment of all the elect. Taken up to heaven she did not lay aside this saving office but **by her manifold intercession continues to bring us the gifts of eternal salvation . . . . Therefore the Blessed Virgin is invoked in the Church under the titles of Advocate, Helper, Benefactress, and Mediatrix.”**512

970 "Mary’s function as mother of men in no way obscures or diminishes this unique mediation of Christ, but rather shows its power. But the Blessed Virgin’s salutary influence on men . . . flows forth from the superabundance of the merits of Christ, rests on his mediation, depends entirely on it, and draws all its power from it."513 "No creature could ever be counted along with the Incarnate Word and Redeemer; but just as the priesthood of Christ is shared in various ways both by his ministers and the faithful, and as the one goodness of God is radiated in different ways among his creatures, so also the unique mediation of the Redeemer does not exclude but rather gives rise to a manifold cooperation which is but a sharing in this one source."514

God gives himself to us out of love, to save us. He gives us his salvation through Mary, the Mother of God. If God entrusts himself to Mary, why would we not???

Therefore the Blessed Virgin is invoked in the Church under the titles of Advocate, Helper, Benefactress, and Mediatrix.

I think the difficulty is with the word “ALL” graces - we do not usually have a problem if this word is taken out of the title, Mediatrix of Grace, for she truly IS.

Good one, Clem! :thumbsup:

From EWTN

We notice that Vatican II did not add the words “of all graces.” However, as many papal texts point out, Mary’s role in dispensation flows logically from her role in acquiring all graces. Further, the Council itself added a note on the above passage, in which it refers us to the texts of Leo XIII, Adiutricem populi, St. Pius X, Ad diem illum, Pius XI, Miserentissimus Redemptor, and Pius XII, Radiomessage to Fatima.

Leo XIII, in the text referred to, spoke of her, as we saw above, as having “practically limitless power.” St. Pius X said she was the "dispensatrix of all the gifts, and is the “neck” connecting the Head of the Mystical Body to the Members. But all power flows through the neck. Pius XII said “Her kingdom is as vast as that of her Son and God, since nothing is excluded from her dominion.” These and many other texts speak in varied ways of Mary as Mediatrix of all graces, so often that the teaching has become infallible.

ewtn.com/faith/teachings/marya4.htm

From my understanding, Mary as Mediatrix of All Graces is effectively the Catholic perspective and was merely unwritten in Vatican II as part of a spirit of trying to take baby steps with Protestants.

I could easily be mistaken. I’m no expert. But it sounds to me like it’s something no Catholic ought to quibble about (All or just Some?), but to accept it instead.

I like very much what you posted.

If you apply reason we can see that Mary is the Mother of us all as Jesus gave her to us from the cross through John. We are in the image of the Trinity so as a family we have a father and mother. Mary, the mother, continually leads us to her Son who gives us His grace. Therefore, she is a Mediatrix of graces. She is the neck of the Body of Christ since she is the greatest creature of our human creation and stands at the top “full of grace”… Since Christ came to us through her then likewise graces can come to us to this way also as Christ allows.

We must accept what the Church teaches, SighGuy, and do not impose our own interpretation when the Church has not specifically defined that title. I am not going to quibble. If you want to believe that the Church is avoiding her solemn authority and duty to teach in order to pacify Protestants, I cannot stop you. Consider that the Council did not hesitate for a minute to declare that other Christians or even non-believers “may” obtain salvation, and are considered as brothers in the Body of Christ. Was this a pacification attempt also?

These are true declarations that the Church formulated with over 5000 voting Councilors in Lumen Gentium, a “dogmatic constitution,” where this title of Mary certainly had occasion to be proclaimed as you would prefer … but was not.

One more thought…
Many believed in the Immaculate Conception of Mary, long before the Church solemnly proclaimed it as necessary for belief. In the same way, folks may hold private beliefs in this title of Mediatrix of ALL graces, but it is imprudent to proclaim it as dogma before the Church does. It just sets a person up as judging the Magisterium, and being wiser than they.

It’s just best to always align oneself with the Mind of the Church. :wink:

She really is the mediatrix of all graces - after all, grace is the life of God, correct? All grace, the entire life of God, is in Jesus (who, after all, is the 2nd person of the Trinity.) Jesus came into the world through Mary, thus all graces, which are in and from Jesus Christ, came, and continue to come, through His mother.

That is your logic, sir. As was said, it is ok to hold this as a private opinion, but not to dogmatize it before the Church does. :slight_smile:

Hello Sirach.

These are different titles under which you can invoke Mary, for a specific type of help from her. It helps to keep the requests in prayer to her focused. For instance, if you invoke her under her title Help of Christians that is the focus of your need. If you invoke her under the title Queen of all Saints, that is the focus of your need. If you invoke her under any of the many titles there are for her, that will be the focus of your prayer. It however in no way limits God’s response to your prayer or her intercession. Invoking Mary as Mediatrix of all Graces is a way of saying you want her as your primary intercessor for all that you need. It isn’t a dogmatic statement about her. Follow what those in the know are saying about this title, but don’t loose sight of the fact it is only a title and not a statement of dogma or doctrine. It is my opinion that as it is it cannot be.

Glenda

I think that the Popes have spoken sufficiently on the nature of Mary as Mediatrix of All Graces. I am unaware of any Pope that has denied such a title. The missing “All” of Vatican II does not preclude Mary as the Mediatrix of All Graces, and because there is no conflict between leaving out “All” and the otherwise consistent promulgation of “All” by several of our Holy Fathers who went before us, I think it is rather a bit safe to agree on it.

Furthermore I do not think I was proclaiming that Mary’s title is dogmatic. I never even used the word. I did state “effectively the Catholic perspective” in much the same regards as the fact (as far as I am aware) that guardian angels have never been officially defined by the Church to be granted to every soul, yet it is of the “mind of the Church”

I do not think it wise to, simply because it be not something officially defined by the Church, venture to voice a contrary opinion to what is and has been supported by the Church without fail, unless one has a very, very good reason.

The writings of the Church are clear.

***all grace

nothing is imparted to us except through Mary

every grace

the channel

the neck through which the body is joined to the head

every kind of grace we receive from the treasury of the redemption is ministered as it were through the hands of the same Sorrowful Virgin

whatever of graces He confers on humans, does so always with her as minister and decision-maker

treasurer of all graces with God***

It has been stated by Popes and Doctors of the Church over and over. ewtn.com/faith/teachings/marya4a.htm

-Tim-

-]/-]

Mary delivers to the world Christ, the life of grace personified. We could ask any saint for intercession because any grace-backed prayer they would make still comes from the same source: Christ, delivered to the world through Mary.

Prayer to the Mother of God is also very efficacious: for she is “full of grace” and the "dispenser of all God’s gifts. “Let no one,” says St. Alphonsus, “consider the last title extravagant, for the greatest saints have so spoken of her, and the saints, as we know, were inspired by the Holy Ghost, the Spirit of Truth.”

– The Catechism Explained by Spirago-Clarke 1921.

The V2 Council may have neglected to call Mary Mediatrix of All Graces, but it has been the mind of the Church for many years that this she indeed is – and she truly is, for the Church can never teach error when she teaches universally on faith and morals. God bless you.

Well that clears up things. I thought the title was an official dogma. Thank you all for the responses:)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.