If one recognizes the truth of Catholicism, must he join?

In Catholic teachings…If some one felt that your church were the one true church but never joined would they be punished in the after-life? Also, would that same person be held accountable if they raised their children in a different religion?

Does the answer change if the reason they chose not to jon the church was because their spouse would divorce them if they did? Which is the better choice? Breaking the commitment you made to your spouse before God, or not joining a church that you feel is right because of your spouse?

Dear l,

In Matthew 10:37 Jesus says: “Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.” I think we could easily add “husband” as well. Once one recognizes the truth, one has to reflect that such recognition is a gift of faith. It is God who is revealing Himself to you. Ask Him for the help you need and He will give to you.

He who is initiating this, will see to its completion so long as you are willing to cooperate with Him. You are NOT in his alone. His hand is on you. If you are pliable in His hand and really trust Him, even your husband could eventually come around. It won’t be easy, but it is worth it.

I will remember you during my nightly hour before Him in the Blessed Sacrament.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.