If Protestantism Is True

Has anyone else read this book? (“If Protestantism Is True” by Devin Rose) I’m currently reading it and it has raised some very convincing points for me to really want to join the Catholic church. Granted, I started reading it because I was already interested and was looking for more information on the subject. Any suggestions of other books I should read while continuing my current plans of joining an RCIA class in September? I would also like to lead my husband this direction through use of good logic. He’s a math guy and less inclined to follow his heart and feelings over logical points. Any book suggestions that you think would be good for him would also be appreciated.

No, I haven’t. Curious, which protestantism does the author evaluate, because to evaluate protestantism, which is simply, and quite innaccurately, a term used to collectively refer to the various western non-Catholic communions, would be rather useless, ISTM.
OTOH, I understand that for Lutherans, the book, There We Stood, Here We Stand
might be of value.

Jon

I recommend anything by our Holy Father Pope Benedict. He has an extraordinary gift of communication, and as his work is very logically set out and expressed, it may well suit your husband.

For something a little less formal, but very “tight” in terms of getting to the point, the (relatively) new book Catholicism by Fr Robert Barron is also good imo.

I wish you our Lord’s blessings on your journey towards RCIA and eventually, your journey home to Holy Mother Church. :thumbsup:

So far (I’m only 24% of the way through, though) he has discussed the origins of Protestantism and Martin Luther, not today’s Protestants or individual branches. It’s a quick read and really has me thinking about things, so I would recommend it. :slight_smile: I will check into that one, thanks!

As far as books to help in a logical progression to the CC, “Rome Sweet Home” by Scott and Kimberly Hahn. It reads as a his/hers view point. Scott Hahn is very theological as well as easy to understand.

No, I haven’t read “If protestantism is true”. I’ll have to look into it.

Thank you! I will check those out :slight_smile:

I have that one on my Kindle as well and is next on my list. :slight_smile: I’ve heard good things, so I’m excited to get started on it!

I’ve recently read the book. Devin Rose is an interesting author. His podcasts are available on iTunes. That’s where I first saw his name. He doesn’t dissect Protestantism. He mainly argues against sola scriptura and sola feida. He uses a good path of logic based on laymans terms. He is a self taught catholic I believe. He converts from evangelical Protestantism. I thought the book was very informative but in need of a better editor. Great man. Devout family man. Have fun reading it, it’s a great book.

When I first began rekindling my Catholicism it was with If Protestantism is True. Loved it! The if A then B then C logic of it was wonderful. I also so read Dead on Arrival: Seven Fatal Errors of Sola Scriptura by David L Gray (available on Kindle), it was good but a but had a much more confrontational tone than If Protestantism is True. While Rose is appealing to a sense of logic gently; Gray is more like “any idiot could see this”. I also enjoyed the first Surprised By Truth. They’re all great but if you’re looking for more concrete, logical, biblical examples the first one is chock full of it. Reasons to Believe by Scott Hahn was also good. I am waiting for Catholic Controversies by Stephen Gabriel to arrive. My Protestant husband has a lot of trouble with the history of the Church and hoping this will give a more unbiased account than most Google searches. Happy Reading!

Don’t know how helpful this will be, but when I first recovered my belief in God (was granted the grace to recover it, I should say) I had to decide where God’s Church was to be found. Logically it was clear to me that if Catholicism was false, everything that sprang from it was also false, so it was either Catholicism or Judaism. And between those two, the choice was clearly Catholicism.

FWIW, I recently reviewed the book here.

It is a good, approachable book that covers a lot of territory and well worth the read. The book is very logical and explores many common Protestant beliefs (which Protestants have which beliefs varies, of course).

From another perspective, it is a list of Catholic beliefs that various forms of Protestantism disagree with. Both can not be true, so what logical conclusions could be drawn if Catholicism is wrong and Protestant teaching is correct.

Devin blogs at St. Joseph’s Vanguard. He is an Evangelical convert.

Brilliant- love it! :thumbsup:

so, what does the title mean then . . what point does the book make when it says If Protestantism is True?

I am in the middle of reading this. I love it.

It quote this phrase thru out the book. “If protestantism is true then…” It will go on to say its beliefs and why they would not be right. Kind of a play on words. (He brings up Luther and Calvin.)

could you give some examples? i have never heard of this book before. it sounds very interesting.

If Protestanism is true by Devin Rose:

For example, on the chapter on the biblical canon, Rose gives a quote from Protestant Reformer John Calvin in which Calvin disregards the role of the Church in settling the biblical canon and argues that a individual Christian who is truly indwelt with the Holy Spirit can know which books should and should not be included in the Bible - as easily as one can “distinguish light from darkness, white from black, sweet from bitter” - simply by reading the books themselves. John Calvin, of course, endorsed the new 66 book Protestant canon - a canon which, according to historical record, no Christian had ever thought was the canon in the 1500 years prior to the Reformation. Rose explains the logical conclusion of Calvin’s claims:

“If Protestantism is true, then the canon is obvious to any true Christian bright enough to discern black from white. Therefore many (supposedly) holy men and women who gave their lives for Christ in the early centuries of the Church did not actually have the Holy Spirit, for they were not able to apprehend the true canon of Scripture. If the canon is known easily by the Spirit testifying to the Christian’s heart, it must be concluded that not until Martin Luther, John Calvin, and the other Protestant Reformers in the sixteenth century did true Christian leaders exist who listed to the Holy Spirit on this topic.” (pg. 77)

So I wouldn’t have to write all this I used the internet right quick and copied and pasted the review from a blog website: youngevangelicalandcatholic.blogspot.com/2011/09/review-if-protestantism-is-true.html

I have it on my kindle. It is not hateful at all.

Sorry I am tired and I think the little guy is gonna wake up soon. Where I am at its midnight!! :stuck_out_tongue:

You may want to see the books of Peter Kreeft. peterkreeft.com/books.htm

The last example I just read is a good one and really short.

(paraphrasing) Protestants agree with Catholics on the subject that public revelation is closed. However, there is no direct biblical support, which contradicts their belief of sola Scriptura.

Very good read. (Coming from someone who is currently neither Protestant or Catholic and hasn’t finished reading the Bible. He gives you all of the background information you need to understand what he’s talking about and the points he’s making, even if you’re not well educated on the subject.)

Curious. How des this contradict sola scriptura?

Jon

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.