If protestants started canonizing people, who would they choose?

Suppose protestants wanted to start “canonizing” people using a standard of personal piety similar to that currently used in the Catholic Church. Who would they choose?

The Catholic Church has both Saints and sinners. Some folk want to judge us by our sinners - by the people who fail to uphold the Catholic Faith. That’s hardly fair - judge us by our Saints, who do uphold the Faith. We have many such Saints to offer as examples of faithful Catholics.

If a protestant wanted to offer a similar example of someone who had achieved remarkable piety through the steadfast practice of (some) protestant faith, who might serve as such an example?

The Lutherans would of curse take Luther, and the other “Churches” would take the person who founded them. Most protestant “Churches” I know already treat their founder like a Saint.

Corrie TenBoom comes to mind.

She’s the second one who came to mind. :thumbsup:

C.S. Lewis, Billy Graham, Martin Luther King (maybe).

Ooooo…Great minds think alike…:D…

I did a thread like this several years ago…and it got over 250 responses…but is now closed.

I do remember “Corrie Ten-Bloom” being nominated on that thread.

(It’s HERE if anyone is interested in taking a peek)

Peace
James

Martin Luther, John Calvin, Corrie Ten Boom, Adrian Judson ( fouder of the missionary movement of the 1800s), and many more.

John Wesley who founded the Methodist Church. I heard Father Groschel say if he had been a Catholic, he would have been a saint.

I would think that any Protestant missionary who gave his/her life would be a candidate.

The Columbine student Bessie Bernall…I think that’s her name…who wouldn’t deny God and died for her belief.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer?

Elizabeth Fedde would be a good choice.

So true.

I really can’t do better than point you to the evangelical saints’ lives published by my parents, particularly the “They Knew Their God” series.

A few names off the top of my head:
David Brainerd
John Fletcher
Mary Slessor
John and Betty Stam

Edwin

The Mormons would certainly have Joe Smith and Brigham Young. Surprised they weren’t mentioned already.

Anglicans would likely have Henry VIII and Elizabeth I.

No.

You don’t understand Anglicanism.

The only monarch (indeed the only person) canonized by post-Reformation Anglicanism is Charles I, because he was (by some definitions) a martyr for the faith. (The Puritan revolutionaries supposedly offered him his life if he would abolish the episcopacy, and he refused.) And even that’s controversial–many Anglicans do not acknowledge him as a saint.

Edwin

MLK is already on the Episcopal church kalendar.

Billy Graham

You’ll find several modern one’s here.

King Henry VIII does not appear in the Church of England Kalendar.

King Charles the Martyr has a small following in the Church of England. There is a Society of King Charles the Martyr who also hold relics of the saint.

skcm.org/

Church of England Kalendar for August (local commemorations in brackets). Catholics might be surprised to see St John Vianney and St Maximilian Kolbe.

Jean-Baptiste Vianney, Curé d’Ars, Spiritual Guide, 1859
John Mason Neal, Priest & Hymn Writer, 1866
The Name of Jesus
Dominic, Founder of the Order of Preachers, 1221
Mary Sumner, Founder of the Mother’s Union, 1921
Laurence, Deacon at Rome, Martyr, 258
Clare of Assisi, Founder of the Poor Clares, 1253
(John Henry Newman, Priest, Tractarian, 1890)
Jeremy Taylor, Bishop of Connor & Down, Teacher, 1667
(Florence Nightingale & Octavia Hill, Social Reformers, 1910 & 1912)
Maximilian Kolbe, Friar, Martyr, 1941
The Blessed Virgin Mary
Bernard, Abbot of Clairvaux, Teacher, 1153
(Symphorian of Autun, Martyr, 178)
(William and Catherine Booth, Founders of the Salvation Army, 1912 & 1890)
Batholomew the Apostle
(Melor and Erme, Martyrs)
Monica, Mother of Augustine of Hippo, 387
Augustine, Bishop of Hippo, Teacher, 430
The Beheading of John the Baptist
John Bunyan, Spiritual Writer, 1688
Aidan, Bishop of Lindisfarne, Missionary, 651

Which Protestants are you talking about?

You don’t seem to realize that Anglicans have recognized Saints and others including some of the same folks that Catholics recognize for centuries.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.