If protestants truly believe Eucharist can they partake

simply put why cant they if they believe and have the desire?

I know the Catholic answer is no. However, I don’t really see much difference between Protestants partaking and the apparently growing number of Catholics (not including those on these boards) who do not accept or understand the Real Presence.

Well, several reasons:

“[The Eucharist is called] Holy Communion, because by this sacrament we unite ourselves to Christ, who makes us sharers in his Body and Blood to form a single body.” (CCC 1331) By definition, Protestants do not claim to form a single body with Catholics, and to receive the Eucharist would be to make a statement to the contrary. Why would a person wish to publicly profess beliefs which they do not have? Receipt of the Eucharist is, among other things, a profession of faith.

CCC 1362 to 1368 reflect the Catholic view that salvation is a process and that the re-presentation in the Eucharist of the Christ’s sacrifice are part of this ongoing process. Thus, participation in the Sacrament is contrary to many Protestant theologies that view salvation as a one time event, a switch to be flicked. Again, reciept of the Eucharist would be antithetical to many Protestants’ beliefs.

“To respond to this invitation we must prepare ourselves for so great and so holy a moment. St. Paul urges us to examine our conscience: “Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of profaning the body and blood of the Lord. Let a man examine himself, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup. For any one who eats and drinks without discerning the body eats and drinks judgment upon himself.” Anyone conscious of a grave sin must receive the sacrament of Reconciliation before coming to communion.” (CCC1385). The Church has rightly recognized heresy as a grave sin. Those separated from the communion of the body of the Christ through heresies do grave harm to the Body (See Matt. 12:25). One would not want to take part in Holy Communion while a Protestant if they heed the warning of 1 Cor. 11:27-29. At the very least, they might respect Catholic custom as a matter of social courtesy

Lastly, CCC 1410, “It is Christ himself, the eternal high priest of the New Covenant who, acting through the ministry of the priests, offers the Eucharistic sacrifice. And it is the same Christ, really present under the species of bread and wine, who is the offering of the Eucharistic sacrifice.” One cannot simultaneously accept the real presence and deny the validity of the Church!

I hope this is enlightening. I certainly learned a couple things researching my answer.

Most excellent reply. Well done.

I think we often, out of compassion and an earnest desire to bring people to the Christ we as Catholics worship and believe in, feel like saying, “what the heck. Go get Communion”, to those who we can see are plainly searching for Him.

Yet your answer is the correct one and it’s sinful to propose or support any other position.

Several months ago one of my agents died. Most of my office went to the funeral. We were all in tears (he was the fittest guy in my office. 31 years old and overflowing with a zest for life) and at communion, one of my best agents leaned over and asked me “I’m Lutheran, can I get Communion?”. I told her yes, go up.

As much as it felt right at the time, I think I need to go to confession.

so from what I understand protestants allow other groups to take communion. I dont know if there is limits? I guess they would allow a catholic as well??

And the flip can a catholic do so, or is it against the rules? From the above post it seems not, but Id like to know for sure. And if not why?

:shrug:

And the flip can a catholic do so, or is it against the rules? From the above post it seems not, but Id like to know for sure. And if not why?

No, Catholics cannot participate in the Protestant Communion as much as Protestants cannot participate.

The reasons are very similar to those described below, just the other way around. First, receiving the Eucharist is a silent profession of faith that’s however very deafening and therefore a Catholic must not want to participate in such Protestant services. At the same time, even thought some Protestants (e.g. some Anglicans) believe in the Real Presence, they do not have it because they don’t have valid Orders. You would therefore be still only eating bread and drinking wine - nothing special about it.

A lot of Protestant groups, including Anglicans, will allow Catholics to receive communion in their Churches.

We cannot accept the invitation, because we consider Communion to be a symbol of a unity that does not exist. I think that bishops have the power to dispense from this rule, and do so on a few ecumenical occasions, but only very occasionally.

Rules vary among Protestant denominations concerning who can partake in their communion. Some have an open table to all the faithful (as self defined believers in Christ) others only to baptised people, others only to members of their denom, others only to “confirmed” members, etc.

The Catholic Church teaches that only themselves and the Orthodox have valid orders, and that Catholics cannot partake in a communion of other faiths. They say that would be acting as if one is “in communion” with the other faith in their set of beliefs.

However, I do not agree that one would be only eating bread and drinking wine, nothing special about it. If nothing else, it is a powerful symbol, and a reenactment (at Christ’s bequest) of his last supper. Valid or not (I’m not getting into that here), the communion service is not one devoid of meaning or specialness.
Even the Catholic Church recognizes this, otherwise, they would not restrict their members from participating.

Thanks guys

One of the arguments I have used is to put yourself back 2,000 years ago the apostles would not have let anyone who disagrees with them on moral or docternal issues to partake in communion even if they except Jesus as there Lord and Savior.

can anyone add to this.

In my church they may, because we believe they might be spiritually enlightened by the physical reception of Christ.

Peace,
+N

Please note that “frnate” is a schismatic not in union with Rome. Therefore, please be advised that his answer is not based on the Catholic Church’s teaching at all.

thanks everyone, I get it the “agreeance” of a group and its a unity thing of that group

:hmmm: but what I cant understand is there is not 100% approval in protestant circles and even catholic ones dont agree.

Yet we all agree on Christ, and Hes who we are remembering, be it juice or wine. I simply dont get that we are not allowed to join together on this, Christ who unifiys us all, even if we dont agree on other things. Why cant we be unified in Him??

:banghead: the whole deal frustrates me to no end.

Its hard to accept there is no solution :frowning: I guess I will have to be patient and leave it to Dad to sort us out.

Yeah, just in case you missed my signature. :cool: :smiley:

Peace,
+N

That’s the problem. If we can’t even agree whether it should be juice or wine there’s no point pretending to be the same organisation.

Because by partaking, you are saying that you are in full communion with the teachings of the Church. If you are not, then you are approaching the Eucharist as a liar (probably unwittingly, but contrary to the teachings of the Church).

It’s difficult for us to say “no”, but it is required of us to prevent sacrilege where we know it’s occuring. Even if they mean no harm, harm still takes place.

Thats my heart ache, we are the same in Christ. Even the catholic church allows for others to be part in the fold, I forgot how it was put. But this would seem to contradict that.

I just wonder if its Christs body we are remembering, isnt it the remembering thats important not how its done?

If they want to fully receive Christ in the Eucharist. They must be fully united to His Mystical Body the Catholic Church.

No - to do so is a sign of full communion with the Church: why is why it is wrong, even sacrilegious, for Popes to give it to non-Catholics. They cannot expect us (let alone non-Catholics !) to be impressed by their teaching on this point, if they send out mixed signals, as they now do :frowning: - it is very confusing when that happens. :frowning:

I am a Protestant (Pentecostal) and I would never even consider partaking of the Eucharist prior to baptism, confirmation, and confession. If I have any mortal sin in my life, I certainly do not want to eat or drink unworthily thereby eating and drinking condemnation unto myself.

I understand the Catholic teaching on the Eucharist and far be it from me to attempt to disrespect the Body of Christ. Heck, I have difficulty partaking in Communion in my own Protestant church even though they do not believe in the Real Presence. I approach it with utmost solemnity and respect.

Now if I could just get some of our parishioners to take the Eucharist as seriously as you.:banghead:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.