If someone believes in a creator, then what?

How would you then decide between Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Baha’i, Sikhism, etc.? And once that choice is made, how to decide which sect of the chosen faith to follow?

It seems like a lot of theistic argument is focused on establishing the existence of a creator, but there is still a long way to go if that is accomplished.

I think once you have established that God created everything and everyone, the next question would be: why? What would be the point of that? And I think Christianity answers that pretty well. It makes sense to me that God would want us to know our purpose, and so he came down as a human and showed us. And after that, he established a Church to continue to be our guide, protected by the Holy Spirit, rather than leave us to figure things out on our own and have the message be diluted and distorted and eventually lost. The fractional nature of Protestantism seems to make a strong case for Catholicism because Truth is One, not whatever each person’s interpretation of it is.

You could probably start by reviewing the major books of these particular religions, then you could visit their churches or temples or synagogue and speak to believers and leaders.

You simply put one foot in front of the other, spiritually speaking of course. God will lead you the rest of the way. Just ask him. And listen…

Hi.

1. Was Jesus who he claimed to be?

2. Did He establish a church?

That is pretty much what worked for me. May God bless you on your faith journey.

Let’s take it from the point of believing in Christ and then which denomination.

Okay…say you decide it is very convincing to believe in Christ, because of the miracles, one thing. Then, there were the apostles, who all witnessed to Christ. Some witnessed through martyrdom. Even Judas witnessed in his way, by admitting his guilt, commiting suicide.

Well, I find it compelling that all of the apostles were willing to undergo persecution. Now with, say, Islam, we can say followers of Islam have also died for their faith, and that is true. However, with Christianity, we had 12 witnesses to the major events, and all twelve witnessed. In Islam, it is my understanding that much of it was based on private revelation.

Now, to me, it is compelling that all of these men would give their lives to this mission, some be tortured to death, killed, if it weren’t true.

There are several theories on this…that they all could have been hallucinating, mass hallucination…or conspiracy. I find the conspiracy theory unlikely that they would conspire, only later to be tortured and killed. I just think most people, under torture, would cave in, were it not true.

I also find it improbable all 12 were lying.

Plus, there is the foreshadowing from the Jewish faith, the prophecies which were fulfilled in Christ.

I believe Christ rose from the dead. The alternative theories would be the “swoon” theory, that he never did die, but that doesn’t make sense to me that he’d appear to people and be radiant if almost killed, then.

I don’t accept the conspiracy theory. See above.

While it is possible Christ and all the 12 apostles, and the women, and everyone else were hallucinating. However, this seems improbable.

Christ could have been lying and the apostles as well, but I just think most liars would recant before undergoing torture and death. That none of them recanted gives strength to the claim that Christ was what he said he was and did rise from the dead.

We often don’t have evidence, but when we do, be it acheological, historical, geographic, etc., it supports Christianity’s claims.

I look at the basis for Christianity, Judaism, which holds what seems to me great wisdom, such as the 10 commandments. I see the wisdom in them.

As to other denominations, I accept Catholicism as the original and true version. Now, I understand there are approximately 41,000 new kinds of Christianity which have since come about.

Though, I don’t accept those, because to me, they were established by man rather that God (Christ). Catholicism was established with Christ, and Christ established his Church with the apostles, clearly placing Peter as the leader, in Christ’s absence.

Christ gave Peter authority, asking him (and him alone, 3 times), to shepherd his sheep. Further, Christ gave only Peter the “keys to the kingdom” with authority, that what he held bound would be held bound also in heaven and what he loosed on earth would be loosed in heaven.

With the apostles, Christ gave them authority to forgive sins. Now, when Judas committed suicide, he was replaced by Matthew. The Church’s structure is an “institution”. In fact, the Catholic Church is the longest lasting institution in the world, and it has survived wars, persecution, and the test of time, some 2,000 years and counting. In fact, people study it due to its longevity.

Getting back to Christ, he gave Peter and the apostles a lot of authority that Christ did not give to just the regular population. In turn, Peter and the apostles and the leaders they chose came to form what is today the Church.

Many other faiths have rejected the leaders Christ set up, preferring to start their own churches. However, Christ said he was establishing his “Church”, not “churches”. It is supposed to be one.

Now, some say that all faiths are right, good, true, and correct. Whatever you believe is right is right, moral relativism, etc. However, logically speaking, how can they all be true? Some say there is reincarnation. Some say there is not. Now, either it is, or it isn’t. They can’t both, or all, be right.

Some say homosexuality is fine, even in religious leaders. Even some Christian denominations accept this, but Catholicism has followed Christ’s teachings and the Bible. The Bible is very clear on homosexuality and that we are not to act on homosexual impulses.

Some new churches also permit divorce, but if you look at the Bible, Christ said that what God put together, man should not put asunder. Again, they can’t both be right.

We even had Henry VIII, and in part because the Church wouldn’t give him an annulment, he ran out, made up his own rules and own church. He also was power hungry. To me, he created his church for selfish reasons, not out of divine intervention.

We have had many others come and say they were the true church, to follow them rather than the descendants of Peter. Some of these did away with the Eucharist and others of the 7 sacraments left to us by the Church, and some modified the Bible, deleting books.

We Catholics follow the leaders that Christ set up. Christ promised us he would be with his Church till the end. We believe this and follow the original church, even though it is sometimes easier to go with a modern faith which will tell us what we want to hear.

Now, others say they are the messiah, to follow them, but Christ warned us not to follow these other faiths, not to be misled.

Look for God in all of them :smiley: :wink:

P/S There is only one Baha’i Faith, there have been a few attempts to split it which have all failed and will continue to fail.

God bless and regards Tony

There is a creating process going on…and a Creator. Creation is a continuing process in our view.

Looking back over the past dispensations there is a Creator mentioned in them and a name given to the Creator varies with language and cultural flavors but the same Creator in them all! :thumbsup:

We can only judge upon what we know. I judge Jesus to be true and all others false. Jesus is true because he rose from the dead. It is however more than that, i feel Christianity has the only answer to what gives meaning in the world, all those other religions fail in some regard. Whether it be the Utopian bahai with their rejection of a God who wants to make this world free from death and evil or the Muslim God who seemingly wants to spread war until this world is hallowed for him.

Christianity answers the basic human condition of sin and says there is an answer in a particular man who rose from the dead at a peculiar time. All those other ones ignore the consequence of death, either saying it is a good and natural thing that God developed for us (they can never defend this) or just accepting it as part of reality.

There’s more to be said but I like what Fr Alexander Schemmen said:

“In our perspective, however, the “Original” sin is not primarily that man has “disobeyed” God; the sin is that he ceased to be hungry for him and for him alone, ceased to see his whole life depending on the whole world as a sacrament of communion with God… It is the Christian gospel that God did not leave man in his exile, in the predicament of confused longing. He had created an “after his own heart” and for himself, and man has struggled in his freedom to find the answer to the mysterious hunger in him. In the scene of radical un-fulfillment God acted decisively : into the darkness where man was groping toward Paradise, He Sent light. He did so not as a rescue operation, to recover lost man: rather it was for the completing of what he had undertaken from the beginning… As Christians we believe that He, who is the truth about both God and Man, gives foretaste of his incarnation in all more fragmentary truths… Christianity, however, is in a profound sense the end of all religion… This is scene in the account of the Samaritan woman… she asked him about a cult, and in reply Jesus changed the whole perspective of the matter… Christians had no concern for any sacred geography, no temples, no cult that could be recognized as such by the generations fed within the mystery cults… In him was the end of religion, because he himself was the answer to all religion, to all human hunger for God, because in him life that was lost by man - and which could only be symbolized, signified, asked for in religion - was restored to man.”

Basically it is as saint Paul said.

“Oh what a wretched man I am, who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God through our Lord Jesus Christ.”

If the answer isn’t Jesus but Buddha, we might as well give up. If the answer isn’t Jesus but a Persian Gnostic who pretended at being a prophet, we have no hope.

So let’s all worship Zeus huh?

Progressive Revelation is a great gift from God.

It stands to reason that Religion Changes and Matures as does Humanity and the world around us.

How it all works is up to each individual to search and find. The first place to look is inside and at Ones Own Self to where we can find all the mysteries of God.

God Bless and regards Tony

So are you denying the equality of all religions? That all religions are not equally true, valid and all of them lead to salvation?

I’m not going to let you derail this topic like you did to my own thread last time. I will respond to your response in PM.

The answer to that question is relevant to your question ;).

Recognizing the Creator, is the First duty of Man. After recognition it is our duty to obey the laws of our Creator and live the life!

Recognizing how all the Creators Messages are indeed one and the same is one of the bounties of this age.

Our duty in this age is to search this out for ourselves and this answers you question “If someone believes in a creator, then what?”

God Bless and regards Tony

God Bless and Regards Tony

Well, we Jews don’t think you have to join us!

Basically, God gave human beings a basic set of rules (after The Flood) against murder, idolatry, blasphemy, indecency, theft and eating flesh from living animals, together with the need to establish a Justice system.

For everybody who isn’t Jewish (we get to do/not do lots more things but don’t get much out of it!) most religions that abide by those rules are pretty harmless. :smiley:

The only way for the created to know if there is a creator, is if the creator informs it’s creation, that it exists.

So you could start weeding from there.

Then we have to consider that a creator wouldn’t create, if it did not want to create, or didn’t want what it was creating, so more weeding.

Then we have to consider that the creator might want it’s creation to want him, again more weeding.

So to stop there for now, and considering the above, can we find a religion that has a God that seems to have worked in human nature in some way, is kind and loving, and not pushy on forcing a returned love/ respect?

Then we move from there.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.