If someone does this to the holy spirit?

If someone blasphemes the holy spirit does it leave them altogether and no longer convict that person of their sins? Would the holy spirit still convict someone of their sins if they grieved the holy spirit and would the holy spirit still be with them?

I obsessed over this sin for decades, inluding believing (and despairing totally) that I had committed it long before I ever became a member of the Catholic Church.
Worry over this sin utterly DESTROYED by moral repentance and destroyed my morals completely, or nearly completely, for decades. I don’t mean to be sacrilegious,
but I truly wish Jesus had never ever mentioned this sin. It is never mentioned in the Old Testament, and only a couple of times in the New, and it is very mysterious to define and a lot of factors have to be in place, I have read, in order for a true “blasphemy against the Holy Spirit” to take place.

We ALL grieve the Holy Spirit, every day usually, every time we commit even a venial sin.
Mortal sins grieve Him even more.
But a person who commits the “blasphemy against the Holy Spirit” referred to by Jesus, is uaually on the level of what is called a Sociopath. They resist the Holy Spirit and his convicting power for years, and then – as happened with the unrepentant, defiant, self-righteous pharisees who persecuted Christ – witness miracle after miracle after miracle, to the point where it cannot even be legitimately doubted that this is God Himself at work, usually miracles involving GREAT KINDNESS, such as Jesus’s curing of a helpless cripple with a withered hand, and then, to oppose this obvious work of God and turn people away from it, dare to publicly accuse this work of God of being the work of Satan the Devil himself.
This sin is not committed haphazardly or unintentionally. Nor is it a sin or wicked statement, no matter how severe, that a person sincerely regrets saying later and asks God for forgiveness for. To Him to whom MUCH has been given, MUCH will be required also applies here when considering this sin of Blasphemy Against the Holy Spirit.
Jesus NEVER threatened anybody with possible guiltiness of it EXCEPT the VERY WELL SCRIPTURALLY TRAINED Pharisees, who knew the Bible, the Jewish Tanakh, inside out and upside down and backwards. It was these men who persecuted him and attacked him as being in League with the Devil while THEY were living extremely sinful, harsh and merciless lives.
If you repent of your sins, no matter what you said or did, and ask for forgiveness,
you do not fall into the category of a Blasphemer Against the Holy Spirit.
It’s more than an unkind word about the Holy Ghost (though don’t do that !!)
Remember, God is a TRINITY. Each person of the Holy Trinity is just as Holy, just as Righteous, just as Merciful, and just as loving, as the other persons of the Holy Trinity.
No more, no less. If you blaspheme “God,” you have spoken against all three.
Yet blasphemy is forgivable, Jesus said.
THIS PARTICULAR ONE is not forgivable, as John Paul II taught, because the one committing it will NEVER repent. He will NEVER return or even seek to return, to the true worship of God and service to his fellowman. Some of the Pharisees were robbing blind even poor, helpless widows and even telling their adult kids NOT TO GIVE THEM ANY FINANCIAL HELP in their old age and instead to give it to them or to the Temple alone.
(( Anything in help that I may have given you, I have dedicated to God )). Jesus found this detestable. Why? Because if you have the means, you have an obligation to help your mom and dad, especially if they are poor and you aren’t, and especially if they need other kinds of help too, according to your ability. The Pharisees denied this truth openly, because, as Jesus said, they were greedy for sordid gain for themselves. They would cleanse the OUTSIDE of the dish (by wearing fancy robes and praying in public in order to IMPRESS those who WITNESSED them saying their canned prayers on the streetcorner), but their piety was NOT INWARD. It was STRICTLY, or PRIMARILY, for SHOW. To make people THINK that they were extremely holy, when in reality, some of them were devourers of the homes of widows. Not because they truly NEEDED money from the widows, either, but again, because they WANTED IT, out of pure greed.
If a person has actually blasphemed the Holy Spirit, they will never again respond to saving grace. Therefore, the Lord will often stop convicting them of sin altogether because they just don’t care anyway.

Protestants accept the concept of blaspheming the Holy Spirit (primarily because it is explicitly laid out in Scripture), but generally state that it is MUCH more than just labeling the Holy Spirit with dirty names. It is sometimes defined as spending your entire life with full knowledge that Jesus was, in fact, the Savior of the world, but obstinately refusing to accept him as your savior even unto your last hour. Protestants also have observed that when Jesus is speaking in Mark 3 about this sin, it seems like he was giving a warning, indicating that the people he was warning were not actually guilty of this sin, and that he was warning them to be careful lest they commit the sin in the future, implying that saying that Jesus was possessed by Beelzebub did not fulfill all the elements of the Sin against the Holy Spirit. Some say that it is literally impossible to commit this sin today as an essential element of it was that Jesus was physically present.

like jaypeeto4 this nearly destroyed me and as he says don’t spend time freting about it, if you had committed it you wouldn’t be here. you wouldn’t want forgiveness for offending God

This sin gave me anxiety for quite a long time, even still does when I think about it.

Thanks for this amazing post. May I print it for future use?

I asked my spiritual director what it meant to blaspheme the Holy Spirit. He said nobody actually knows. Many scholars have written about it, but there is no one right answer.

I quit worrying about it. No point in worrying about doing something wrong when I can’t even imagine what it is. Too likely to create superstition.

Sometimes I have to wonder, though, and maybe this is blasphemy but here it is; these guys were writing the gospels many years after Jesus’s death, and none of those writing actually knew Him. I don’t see why it’s so hard to comprehend that one of those authors might have “slipped in” a few words here and there – like maybe if it made incredible sense to them.

Alan

Alan please don’t post this again, no matter how much sense it makes to you.
God bless

Hi martyrforjesus, thanks for your reply.

Of course you can use the post, if you wish.

AlanfromWitchita, I understand your feelings.
Anything is possible, of course, but I doubt seriously that this saying
in inauthentic. It is in 3 of the 4 gospels, so it’s not a gloss that got
accidentally inserted into the text hundreds of years later, like 1st John 5:7 was.
He really said this.
Only HE understood fully what he meant when he said it, however.
It is very mysterious.
I had just repented of my sins 31 years ago, had had a powerful and I do mean POWERFUL religious experience of moral renewal, but I didn’t correctly understand scripture at all back then, in fact, I was a Jehovah’s Witness then,
and came across this verse and it ABSOLUTELY destroyed both my repentance
and my morals. I fought like crazy to keep that from happening, but eventually I couldn’t take the pain and despair and fear anymore, and walked away from God and right back into a life of habitual sexual sin, promiscuously so, the after effects of which horribly sinful habit affect my ability to grow spiritually very well, even to this day.
That’s why, on one level,
I honestly wish that Christ had never said it, OR, that all Christian and pseudo-Christian groups would WARN their new members about these verses before they, all inexperienced and easy to misunderstand and be destroyed by the statement,
come across it unexpectedly, as I did, and the Devil immediately convinced me that it already applied to me.
What Saint Peter said in his letter is TRUE: there are many hard things in
the scriptures, difficult to understand…
Jaypeeto4
+JMJ+
PRAY THE ROSARY DAILY

You mean what my SD said, or my additional comments? I’ll drop the additional comments, because I own them and they may indicate a transition.

Do you know of a specific definition my SD didn’t have available?

welcome.

and came across this verse and it ABSOLUTELY destroyed both my repentance
and my morals. I fought like crazy to keep that from happening, but eventually I couldn’t take the pain and despair and fear anymore, and walked away from God and right back into a life of habitual sexual sin, promiscuously so, the after effects of which horribly sinful habit affect my ability to grow spiritually very well, even to this day.

That’s why I like to dig deeper when on the surface the word of God seems like it causes fear and despair, for Jesus gives us hope and freedom from fear.

That’s why, on one level,
I honestly wish that Christ had never said it, OR, that all Christian and pseudo-Christian groups would WARN their new members about these verses before they, all inexperienced and easy to misunderstand and be destroyed by the statement,
come across it unexpectedly, as I did, and the Devil immediately convinced me that it already applied to me.

You have it right that it was the devil who convinced you because the more I thought about it the more I couldn’t figure out how one would go about this sin if one were to try, short maybe of dying in despair or something? That’s why I took my question to my SD.

What Saint Peter said in his letter is TRUE: there are many hard things in
the scriptures, difficult to understand…

Yes, I agree. I think the scriptures are more of a training handbook than a handbook. That is, I think scriptures are useful for transforming us than giving us all the answer to our questions or giving us “recipes” to follow – rules and guidelines etc. I think one has to be ready to “put aside” a verse or longer section if need be, as long as one doesn’t know the real answer.

Alan

i just mean your additional comments. to say there is things in the bible by accident just not right. it may also be denying God’s power. typology in the bible is remarkable and in itself shows God’s hand in writting the bible.
eg Abraham is the father of the jews, as God is our Father, Abhram was going to sacrifice his son God did sacrifice his son for us. the first time Love is mentioned in the bible is in this passage of Abraham and his son.
instead of sacrificing his son he sacrificed a ram caught in the bushes as christ head was encircled with thorns as he was the sacrifical lamb. that a small fragnment

another eg of God’s word being what is in the bible. the first sentence of the bible is
“in the begining God created the heavens and the earth” in the original text that has 7 words. 7 being the number of complete in the bible used 500 odd times. forvige your brother 77 times, 7 gifts of the holy spirit, 7 days of the week 7 oceans 7 continents, 7 wonders of the ancient world, 7 sorrows of BVM etc popular culture as well the magnicant 7, the secret 7, 007 best secret agent. you get the picture
so in the beginigng (time) GOD created heavens (space) and the earth(matter)
GOD created time space and matter using the number 7 in this context means complete
the universe is simply time space and matter. it’s only now we understand the truth of this statement.
the ammount of 7’s in the orignal language is unprecedented in that statement. i forget how many maybe 50 or 60 something like that. 7 letters eithe side of the word God, stuff like that.

again i could keep going but you get the idea

The only blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is refusal to ask and accept forgiveness for one’s sins, so in that context, I don’t understand the question. If you are still concerned about sins and grieving the Holy Spirit, you have not committed any blasphemy, in fact, quite the opposite.

**If you are still concerned about sins and grieving the Holy Spirit, you have not committed any blasphemy, in fact, quite the opposite. **

Howdy puzzleannie!!

I have to disagree, just a little, with the above statement,
because it is too BROAD.
A person who is still concerned may indeed have committed blasphemy
(most people on earth have committed blasphemy at some point or points,
in their lives). But,
yes, being still concerned is overwhelming evidence
that you have NOT, not yet,
committed “THE” “blasphemy against the Holy Spirit” that Jesus
had in mind, because if that were the case, you would never even
come halfway back to your spiritual senses. There would be no contrition,
not even “imperfect” contrition.
Love to you,
Jaypeeto4
+JMJ+
PRAY THE ROSARY DAILY

Puzzleannie is correct. The Church teaching (see below) is very clear:

CCC 1864 “Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven.” There are no limits to the mercy of God, but anyone who deliberately refuses to accept his mercy by repenting, rejects the forgiveness of his sins and the salvation offered by the Holy Spirit. Such hardness of heart can lead to final impenitence and eternal loss.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.