If someone forgets to confess a sin

I know that if someone goes to Confession and forgets to confess a sin, it is still forgiven, but they must mention it at their next Confession. Now, do you have to go to Confession as soon as possible once you remember the sin you forgot? Or do you just wait until the next time you go to Confession, whenever that may be?

You're only obligated to confess mortal sins, so if you forget a venial sin you don't have to mention it (though it wouldn't hurt and may help).

As far as remembering past mortal sins, what I've heard from priests is, just mention it next time. Of course if you wait too long you may forget it again.

The sin may be mortal.

Anyways, I had a list of sins and I think skipped over this particular sin, but I had every intention to go back and confess this sin. I just forgot to go back to it. Does this count as intentionally not confessing the sin?

I'm not even 100% sure that I did skip over it. Maybe I did confess it and I just don't remember (I was crying at the time)

[quote="MyPseudonym, post:1, topic:318594"]
I know that if someone goes to Confession and forgets to confess a sin, it is still forgiven,

[/quote]

Yes --if one meant to confess all ones mortal sins -- and were contrite and amended --yes.

but they must mention it at their next Confession.

[/quote]

Yes if it was mortal it needs to be confessed in the next confession.

Now, do you have to go to Confession as soon as possible once you remember the sin you forgot?

[/quote]

No not if the above is what happened (at least in the Roman Church...I forget what the Eastern Law is)

Or do you just wait until the next time you go to Confession, whenever that may be?

[/quote]

Yes one can wait til ones next confession (I assume it not be very long time ...I do not recommend waiting too long)

Thanks for the replies.

Also, the priest did not ask me to say an Act of Contrition. I asked him about it and he said I didn't need to. He also said something after that, but I don't remember what he said.

That does not invalidate a confession – for you were contrite I assume.

If you forget to mention a mortal sin, then you are still absolved and you need only wait until such time as you need to go to Confession again. It isn't necessary to rejoin the queue for the Confessional even if you remember seconds after you step out of the church... Just mention it next time, whenever 'next time' is in the normal course of events.

Thank you for the responses.

Also, I emailed the priest and he said he didn't ask me to say an Act of Contrition because it was said during the Communal Reconciliation service prior to individual confessions. Here is what was said:

"I confess to almighty God, and to you, my brothers and sisters, that I have sinned through my own fault, in my thoughts and in my words, in what I have done and in what I have failed to do; and I ask blessed Mary, ever Virgin, all the angels and saints, and you, my brothers and sisters, to pray for me to the Lord our God." ststephenchurch.org/Sacraments/rec_overview/rec_contrition.shtml

I messed up saying this though. Does that invalidate it?

[quote="MyPseudonym, post:8, topic:318594"]
I messed up saying this though. Does that invalidate it?

[/quote]

May I recommend that you read Divine Mercy In My Soul: The Diary of St. Faustina? You sound like me; I continually question what I said and did in confession. Did I mess up? Did I say it right? I flubbed one of the prayers during my penance, am I still forgiven? Trust in God's mercy. He did not give us His Son to die on a cross for us just so He could say: "Ooh, sorry, you didn't say the words of that prayer exactly as it is written. No absolution for you!"

Try to relax and TRUST fully in God's mercy. :)

He will not abandon you...He loves you! And He WANTS to give you His mercy.

The exact wording of the prayer isn't the important part. (See Matthew 6:7 if you need further proof of that!) :) All you really have to do is say "Sorry" if you don't know the words of the prayer. The important thing is that you were contrite and I'd venture to guess that, if you were crying in the confessional, you were sorry. When you are absolved of your sins, you are absolved of EVERY sin - including any you may have forgotten to confess.

Now, if it was a mortal sin (or may have been), then yes, confess it.

But otherwise, you may want to tell your priest during your next confession that you are struggling to let go of the guilt of past sins and see if he can assist you with that or give you a little spiritual direction. I got some great advice on something like this last time I brought it into confession.

God bless!

[quote="1love, post:9, topic:318594"]
May I recommend that you read Divine Mercy In My Soul: The Diary of St. Faustina? You sound like me; I continually question what I said and did in confession. Did I mess up? Did I say it right? I flubbed one of the prayers during my penance, am I still forgiven? Trust in God's mercy. He did not give us His Son to die on a cross for us just so He could say: "Ooh, sorry, you didn't say the words of that prayer exactly as it is written. No absolution for you!"

Try to relax and TRUST fully in God's mercy. :)

He will not abandon you...He loves you! And He WANTS to give you His mercy.

The exact wording of the prayer isn't the important part. (See Matthew 6:7 if you need further proof of that!) :) All you really have to do is say "Sorry" if you don't know the words of the prayer. The important thing is that you were contrite and I'd venture to guess that, if you were crying in the confessional, you were sorry. When you are absolved of your sins, you are absolved of EVERY sin - including any you may have forgotten to confess.

Now, if it was a mortal sin (or may have been), then yes, confess it.

But otherwise, you may want to tell your priest during your next confession that you are struggling to let go of the guilt of past sins and see if he can assist you with that or give you a little spiritual direction. I got some great advice on something like this last time I brought it into confession.

God bless!

[/quote]

Thank you and God bless you. :)

[quote="MyPseudonym, post:5, topic:318594"]
Thanks for the replies.

Also, the priest did not ask me to say an Act of Contrition. I asked him about it and he said I didn't need to. He also said something after that, but I don't remember what he said.

[/quote]

Likely the absolution:God, the Father of mercies, through the death and the resurrection of his Son has reconciled the world to himself and sent the Holy Spirit among us for the forgiveness of sins; through the ministry of the Church may God give you pardon and peace, and I absolve you from your sins in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.

or

May the same God, who through the Prophet Nathan forgave David when he confessed his sins, who forgave Peter when he wept bitterly, the prostitute when she washed his feet with her tears, the publican, and the prodigal son, through me, a sinner, forgive you both in this life and in the next and enable you to appear before his awe-inspiring tribunal without condemnation, he who is blessed for ever and ever. Amen.

closed #12

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.