If someone kills themself will they go to hell?

My Protestant friend and I have a debate going on and I would like your clarification about it.

If a Christian (either Protestant or Catholic) is not in a state of mortal sin, and they kill themselves, will they go to heaven or hell?

My Protestant friend says that they will go to heaven because they have accepted Christ as their Savior and are therefore eternally secure.

I’m thinking that suicide is a mortal sin and they could possibly go to hell.

Which is it?

We cannot know with certainty whether a suicide victim goes to hell or heaven (possibly by way of purgatory). Suicide certainly is grave matter but to be culpable of mortal sin one must commit a grave act with deliberate consent and full knowledge of its gravity. A person who commits suicide is likely not in a healthy state of mind and, therefore, may not be fully culpable. The Catechism of the Catholic Church (CCC) explains, “Grave psychological disturbances, anguish, or grave fear of hardship, suffering, or torture can diminish the responsibility of the one committing suicide” (CCC 2282).

Even if one is fully culpable, God may still provide a way of salvation for them. The Catechism teaches, “By ways known to him alone, God can provide the opportunity for salutary repentance” (CCC 2283).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.