If someone should ask "What is the Gospel"

What should you say? It all is so very complex and involved. What is the simple easy answer here?

Protestant would simply say Christ died in your place for your sins so you are forgiven. that is good news.

Jesus repeatedly said that “the kingdom of God is here.” That’s a simple statement, but it is filled with meaning. It means that Jesus is the Second Adam who, by his life, death, and resurrection has redeemed the world (whereas the first Adam dragged the world down into sin) so that we can be reconciled to God and thus saved.

Jesus laid out the way in which we avail ourselves of Christ’s redemption when he commanded the Apostles to “go into the whole world baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.” He gave us 7 sacraments to aid us in our salvation, baptism being the intiation into the faith and the Eucharist as our food and the word of God as our guide.

Gospel
For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believes in him will not perish but have everlasting life.

Law
Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” 37And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. 38This is the great and first commandment. 39And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. 40On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets.”

Jon

I’m not sure. I’d probably say that “Gospel” means “good news,” that is: God came to us as a man, Jesus, suffered to death on a cross for our sins, and then rose to life again three days later giving us eternal life.

It is “glad tidings” …“good news!”…evangelium!

Simply:* Jesus of Nazareth the Christ!!*

one can note though in particular…

His death and his Resurrection

Our sins being forgiven…our becoming a new creation in him…via faith and baptism…

our having *“true life” *in him…

(etc many aspects could be added…)

A few quotes from Pope Benedict XVI

So now we can say: Christianity was not only “good news”—the communication of a hitherto unknown content. In our language we would say: the Christian message was not only “informative” but “performative”. That means: the Gospel is not merely a communication of things that can be known—it is one that makes things happen and is life-changing. The dark door of time, of the future, has been thrown open. The one who has hope lives differently; the one who hopes has been granted the gift of a new life.
Spe Salvi 2

“The Lord has risen indeed, and has appeared to Simon!” (Lk 24: 34). This is the “Good News” par excellence in the entire history of the world, it is the “Gospel” proclaimed and passed on down the centuries, from generation to generation…The Good News of Easter, therefore, requires the action of enthusiastic and courageous witnesses. Each disciple of Christ, and also each one of us, is called to be a witness. This is the precise, demanding and exalting mandate of the Risen Lord. The “news” of new life in Christ must shine out in the life of Christians, it must be alive and active in those who bring it, really capable of changing hearts and the whole of life…Therefore the Lord sends us everywhere as his witnesses. But we can only be such on the basis of and with continuous reference to the Paschal experience, the experience which Mary Magdalene expresses when she announces to the other disciples: “I have seen the Lord” (Jn 20: 18). This personal encounter with the Risen One is the steadfast foundation and central content of our faith, the fresh and inexhaustible source of our hope, the ardent dynamism of our charity. Thus our Christian life itself will fully coincide with the announcement: “Christ the Lord has risen, indeed”. Let us, therefore, allow ourselves to be won over by the fascination of Christ’s Resurrection. Gen. Audience April 7, 2010

Consequently, it is fundamental for our faith and for our Christian witness to proclaim the Resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth as a real, historical event, attested by many authoritative witnesses. We assert this forcefully because, in our day too, there are plenty of people who seek to deny its historicity, reducing the Gospel narrative to a myth, to a “vision” of the Apostles, taking up and presenting old and already worn-out theories as new and scientific…

Let us welcome him with faith and adhere generously to his Gospel, as did the privileged witnesses of his Resurrection; and as, some years later, did St Paul who encountered the divine Teacher in an extraordinary manner on the Road to Damascus. We cannot keep for ourselves alone the proclamation of this Truth that changes the life of all. Aud 4-15-09

More from Pope Benedict XVI

In this Pauline Year we hear the cry of the Apostle to the Gentiles resounding with special urgency: “Woe to me if I do not preach the Gospel!” (1 Cor 9: 16); a cry that becomes for every Christian a pressing invitation to serve Christ. “The harvest is plentiful” (Mt 9: 37) the Divine Teacher still repeats today: so many still do not know him and are awaiting the first proclamation of his Gospel; others, although they received a Christian formation, have become less enthusiastic and retain only a superficial contact with God’s Word; yet others have drifted away from the practice of the faith and need a new evangelization. Then there are plenty of people of right understanding who ask themselves essential questions about the meaning of life and death, questions to which only Christ can give satisfactory answers. It is, therefore, becoming indispensable for Christians on every continent to be ready to reply to those who ask them to account for the hope that is in them (cf. 1 Pt 3: 15), joyfully proclaiming the Word of God and living the Gospel without compromises. Homily Pope Benedict XVI 5 Oct 2008

“One of these men must become with us a witness to his resurrection,” said Peter. His Successor now repeats to each of you: My brothers and sisters, you need to become witnesses with me to the resurrection of Jesus. In effect, if you do not become his witnesses in your daily lives, who will do so in your place? Christians are, in the Church and with the Church, missionaries of Christ sent into the world. This is the indispensable mission of every ecclesial community: to receive from God and to offer to the world the Risen Christ, so that every situation of weakness and of death may be transformed, through the Holy Spirit, into an opportunity for growth and life. To this end, in every Eucharistic celebration, we will listen more attentively to the word of Christ and devoutly taste the bread of his presence. This will make us witnesses, and, even more, bearers of the Risen Jesus in the world, bringing him to the various sectors of society and to all those who live and work there, spreading that “life in abundance” (cf. Jn 10:10) which he has won for us by his cross and resurrection, and which satisfies the most authentic yearnings of the human heart.

We impose nothing, yet we propose ceaselessly, as Peter recommends in one of his Letters: “In your hearts, reverence Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to make a defence to any one who calls you to account for the hope that is in you” (1 Pet 3:15). And everyone, in the end, asks this of us, even those who seem not to. From personal and communal experience, we know well that it is Jesus whom everyone awaits. In fact, the most profound expectations of the world and the great certainties of the Gospel meet in the ineluctable mission which is ours, for “without God man neither knows which way to go, nor even understands who he is. In the face of the enormous problems surrounding the development of peoples, which almost make us yield to discouragement, we find solace in the sayings of our Lord Jesus Christ, who teaches us: ‘Apart from me you can do nothing’ (Jn 15:5) and who encourages us: ‘I am with you always, to the close of the age’ (Mt 28:20)” (Caritas in Veritate, 78).

(vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/index.htm)

The Catholic Church essentially teaches “Salvation by grace through faith working in love.” The key distinction is “working in love”, see Galatians 5:6. Despite having different official beliefs, you might find that very few non-Catholics actually think faith is all that’s required to get into heaven. People are individuals. Be sure to listen first, and then use what is held in common to lead others to the truth.

:clapping::clapping::clapping:

:thumbsup:

Excellent! Short. Concise. Exactly on point.

I’d refine it just a touch, though:

The Gospel in context:

**God created Man (the Creation). Man sinned, and was separated from God, and evicted from Heaven (the Fall). Then, God came to us as a man; God the Father sent us his only begotten Son, Jesus Christ, who became Man, lived amongst us, suffered to death on a cross for our sins, and then rose to life again on the third day, granting us potential access to eternal life, and reunion with God, our Creator (the Redemption). **

Hence the Good News is that we were fallen and damned; Christ came to ‘redeem’ Man, and to reconcile us to God, by offering us ‘the Way’–by being the Way (along with the Truth, and the Life)–to Eternal Life with God.

It is the Good News that you can have peace, joy and hope through Jesus Christ. That’s all there is to it.

Then invite them to come and see.

-Tim-

From St Paul Street Evangelization:

1. You are made God’s image and likeness. He loves you. (Genesis 1:27)
  1. Due to sin we have a broken relationship with God. (Romans 6:23)
  1. Jesus Christ, God’s Son, became man, died on the cross, and rose for our salvation. (Philippians 2:7-10)
  1. We are saved by faith in Jesus Christ, and through Jesus our relationship with God is restored. (John 3:16)
  1. Through the Church we have access to grace by baptism and are nourished by the Eucharist. (Matthew 16:18-19)
  1. Through the Holy Spirit God changes us, his grace perfects us, and he fulfills our every desire. (Matthew 5:48)
    streetevangelization.com/training/kerygma/

The books of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, primarily. After that, the rest of the NT writings that expound on them. :shrug:

I like to think of the gospel as a love letter from God to all of us.

God became human so that humans might become divine.

Edwin

Jesus came to reconcile God with man, to effect re-communion between them, the chief aspect of Original Sin being separation from God, a condition we’re all born with, and a human condition we witness everyday in the behavior of man. Jesus proved what God should never have had to prove, what Adam hadn’t yet recognized in Eden: God’s existence, His power, His uncompromising trustworthiness, truthfulness, goodness, mercifulness, kindness: His lavish, unconditional love for man. And He capped it all off with the resurrection, proof of the afterlife. The Good News is that God is love and desires to share that love in eternal happiness with us all.

The catechism teaches that man, Adam, preferred himself to God. All evil stems from that preference. We’re here to learn of the folly of that preference, to learn of our absolute need for God. Jesus came to destroy that preference, that pride, that serves to keep man separated from His Creator, so justice may reign fully within us and without again in God’s universe.

I guess I should clarify: if a non believer asked you what this “gospel” is, what would you say?

I’d give the same answer I gave in my first post: forums.catholic.com/showpost.php?p=12109889&postcount=2.

Sacred Tradition, the Magisterium, and Scripture plainly tell us what the Gospel is. I merely summerized it. :slight_smile:

WHAT IS THE GOSPEL?
by James Akin
cin.org/users/james/ebooks/gospjust/gospel.htm

The gospel is the message that Jesus Christ died and rose for our sins so that we may be saved.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.