If the Catholic Church is wrong, which non-Catholic denomination is right?

If the Catholic Church is wrong, which non-Catholic denomination is right?

Aren’t different denominations, different because they all hold different beliefs and have different rule-sets?

Why, for instance, would someone here choose to be a Baptist as apposed to being a Methodist?

….Baptist right….Methodist wrong?

I find it interesting that there exist so many Protestant non-Catholics here, who argue the differences between their own denomination and Catholicism but have nothing to say about the differences between, their denomination and other non-Catholic Christian denominations.

What’s up with that?

Is this caused by an inherent trait among all Protestants to continue protesting Catholicism? Is this Protesting, “protesting” of the Catholic Church, something that has been built into these different denominations?

Or…is this simply a case of denial?

Or…a case of being disingenuous?

Maybe, simply… hypocrisy?

How much of this is caused by ego?

You tell me, with all of the differences, which exist among Protestant denominations, why so much attention given to the Catholic faith?

Is this a case of jealousy, or maybe it is because, deep down inside, all Protestants know that the Catholic Church is the true Church started by Jesus Christ.

I believe that, for many, especially “former” Catholics, it is a rebellious act, because they themselves have done something that has caused their own separation from the Church and now they have to rationalize why, they were right and the Catholic Church was wrong.

Please explain why the Catholic Church gets so much attention from non-Catholics. Maybe it is simply because we are the oldest and largest Christian community…You tell me…is that it?

Or….maybe the Devil is in play here….

Finally, it seems to me that Protestants here, are real forgiving and show that Christian charity towards other non-Catholics here but for some reason can’t forgive, respect and be charitable to the other Christians here….the Catholics!

Note: Many of my comments here are of a general nature, and do not apply to everyone.

[FONT=Arial][size=2]Your thoughts? [/FONT][/size]

I find it interesting that there exist so many Protestant non-Catholics here, who argue the differences between their own denomination and Catholicism but have nothing to say about the differences between, their denomination and other non-Catholic Christian denominations.

Oh no they do. Someone at some point in time will talk about, “essentials vs. the non-essentials” meaning that disagreement is ok if it is on the non-essentials. Even though this belief is not at all Biblical. Also no one will be able to point to where they got this list of essentials and non-essentials. It is all subjective and up to the individual. :shrug:

I see it as just a justification for their differences. I have more respect for those Protestants that go after even their own on certain issues instead of saying that it is a non-essential. And there are Protestants out there that do that.

God bless

Oh no they do. Someone at some point in time will talk about, “essentials vs. the non-essentials” meaning that disagreement is ok if it is on the non-essentials.

**And just WHO determines (to say nothing of HOW) just what is “essential” or “non-essential”.

That in itself is something that the denominations disagree on.**

Hello Roman_Catholic,

Thank you for your post.

Wouldn’t the Sacraments, so-named because they are sacred, be an “essential”? Yet, Protestant denominations cannot even agree on the Sacraments.

Your thoughts?

Peace

Hell bpbasilphx,

Excellent point, so, wouldn’t such a determination fall under “infallibility”?

I thought that only Catholics believed in Infallibility.

Thank you for your post.

Peace

None are right. I think the one that is right, is the one that everyone calls them selves. Christianity. not Catholics, not Lutherans, not Baptists, not CoC, not LDS, not JW, just depends on the person.

How can none be right? That would mean that ALL of them teach error, and that Satan has prevailed.

If you believe that all are equally valid, then you believe in what’s called “relativism”. This is the idea that there is no absolute right and wrong, we have to decide for ourselves. My beliefs are right for me, but not for someone else. My morals are right for me, but not for someone else.

For example, some people think there’s absolutely nothing wrong with premarital sex. Many religions, however, consider it a sin. If you believe it to be an absolute truth, then those people who think it’s ok are simply wrong. If you are a relativist, then it might be a sin for me, but not for my friend. The great philosopher Socrates was among the first to condemn relativism, because he believed that it would fragment and undermine society. If there’s no absolute truth, how can you EVER truly know what to believe? How can you even have laws? What if I think drug use is ok? What about theft? What about genocide? Humans can justify anything.

If you cannot take a stand on what beliefs are right and wrong, then yes, all religions are correct. However, this seems problematic to me, and many of the greatest minds in history.

=Jimmy B;4517977]**

Goodness, Jimmy, you must not read some of the posts I write about other noncatholic Christians’ beliefs on the Eucharist, Baptism, and justification. I said on another recent thread that had I had to choose between a Baptist, non-demon, or Catholic Church (small isolated town scenario), I’d choose the Eucharist, confession, and liturgy.

[quote]Please explain why the Catholic Church gets so much attention from non-Catholics. Maybe it is simply because we are the oldest and largest Christian community…You tell me…is that it?

I think that you overstate this. For the most part, n-C Christians are what they are because that’s the way they were raised, not because they are “protesting” the Catholic Church. Most of them don’t know what the CC teaches, what are differences are, and most likely don’t even care. The Catholic Church down the street is accross the street from the Methodist Church. That’s it. 2 other churches down the street. In my Church, your church is rarely even mentioned.

Finally, it seems to me that Protestants here, are real forgiving and show that Christian charity towards other non-Catholics here but for some reason can’t forgive, respect and be charitable to the other Christians here….the Catholics!

Note:

Many of my comments here are of a general nature, and do not apply to everyone.

I sure am happy you said the last statement, because I know you know that’s what’s above it is not the case with me and many others.

Jon
[/quote]

Excellent post! Well said. :thumbsup:

Thought i’d share a joke with everyone in this thread since we are discussing about denominations.

A man was standing off the edge of the Sydney Harbour Bridge --about to jump. A passer-by tried to talk him down; he asked: “well, are you a Christian?” to which the man answered “yes.”

He exclaimed: “great, me too; what kind of Christian are you? Orthodox, Catholic, Protestant?” The answer was: “Protestant.” “Me too; what kind of Protestant? Anglican, Baptist, Presbyterian, Methodist, Pentecostal?”

The man got excited: “me too; are you an initial evidence or a third wave Pentecostal?” “Initial evidence.” "Me too; what kind of initial evidence?

Are you a AOG, CRC, COC, CCC?" “AOG.” Now, he got really excited: “Me too; are you Premillenial, Post Millenial or Amillenial?”

The guy on the bridge said: “Amillenial” and with that the passer-by, becoming very angry, screamed: “Die, heretic!” and pushed him off the bridge.

Totally irrelevant i guess but i hope you forgive me for derailing the thread just this teeny-wee bit. :blush: :smiley:

Funny joke. And not irrelevant either.

You tried to call me a relativist a while back, and I told you I wasn’t. I am not gonna repeat myself.

I do not believe any certain denomination is completely right. Not even the RCC.

I thought that only Catholics believed in Infallibility.**

Infalliblity among Protestants rests in the previous pastor, if not in the individual believer.

It is a Catholic board thus people argue that.
On a Calvinistic, Baptist, LDS, or other board…they argue about the dominant view or the different denominations.
On an atheist board, they argue against any form of Christianity…

It depends on where you are and what you are doing. In my opinion the internet appears to deal with JW’s and LDS more…but that could be impressions.
If you are posting on a Catholic discussion board of course that is what you are going to be reading…

You are entitled to your belief, of course. However, that has always been one of the main differences between Catholics and Protestants. Catholics believe that their faith is black and white, and protected by the Holy Spirit. If you disbelieve in a particular point, then you’re wrong. Rather than trying to change the church to my opinion, I try to change my opinion to that of the Church. Protestants agree on a few basics, but are free to interpret for themselves. The reason I would never become a Protestant is because I don’t see how one can ever be assured that they are correct. I’ve never been able to understand that mentality, and I’m as independent of a thinker as they come.

Out of curiosity, what particular parts of your own denomination do you feel are wrong, since you imply that it’s not completely right?

Congratulations are in line for youy, Jimmy. After looking at the responses and the nature in which some of them are said, I’d say that you succeeded in finding another way to condemn protestants in that smooth, sly, and “loving” way that you always use which only leads to arguements and division. Thanks for taking us there again. You’re the best.

I’m not Protestant. :blush:

So I won’t defend the essential/non-essential argument. I was just saying that Protestants do discuss these things, but this is usually the context of the discussion. At least when trying to explain it all to us Catholics.

It has been my experience that when your question that was posed is brought up, the differences within Protestant denominations, the discussion on essentials and non-essentials will get tossed around. However when pushed I will not get an answer as to where these essentials are listed or where in the Bible it says that it is ok for Christians to disagree on these non-essentials. We are commanded to do quite the opposite, and told to stay away from different and contradicting doctrines. 1 Timothy 1:3, 1 Timothy 4:1, Ephesians 4:14, Titus 1:9.

God bless

Lack of hardness. I hate my youth group cause its like a worksheet, and the end. That drives me insane, I want a church where youth groups actually read scripture, and do work for 45 mins of the class, then have 3, 5 min breaks, I could get down 5x what they do in a hour, easy.

I have to agree with you. He does seem to hate protestants. Of course, I don’t know him, so I can’t say truthfully, just saying through what I’ve seen of him.

Although it looks like the OP angered some with this question (or maybe it was how he asked it), I do find it a valid question and one that I have often wondered myself. So if you have an answer or even a comment on it I for one would appreciate reading it.

God bless you

That seems to be a very fair criticism, but it’s not exactly a point of doctrine. I mean, that doesn’t affect my salvation in any way.

Let me give you a different example.

I know I had you read this news story a couple of days ago:
washingtontimes.com/news/2008/dec/04/anglican-conservatives-propose-constitution/

One group believes that having practicing homosexual bishops and blessing homosexual unions is ok. The other believes it’s a sin. The denomination is splitting over a question of morality. Either homosexual unions are ok, or they aren’t. It can’t be both. So… is one of these denominations practicing a belief that could actually condemn them to hell, because they are unknowingly committing a sin? Whichever side of the issue you’re on, isn’t it critically important?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.